Electric Vehicles and More Media Myths Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Electric Vehicles and More Media Myths « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 10:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't deny that I like the acceration figures of some electric cars is Tesla etc quicker than a 1966 Ford Shelby Cobra 0 to 80 mph in 6.2 seconds.

But I am extremely suspicious about governments and medias touting a propaganda that appears to yap that electric cars are going to replace cars that use petrol or diesel because they are more efficient energy wise and better for the environment.

There is also the gullible concept that if you go electric you won't have the expense of petrol

I am not a scientist but one thing is certain that governments just love taxing the living daylights out of motorists. If electric means not having to pay taxes on fueling the car you can bet governments are going to tax the guts out of electric refills.

Then there is the environmental caper of saying electric is better for the environment while conservative governments support the coal mining industry.

The electricity supply has to come from somewhere and I thought right now most of it comes from croaking the environment by digging gigantic holes in the ground and then burning the coal. Hydroelectricity also croaks some of the bush.ie Franklin Dam.

Australia is a very dry place in parts that is to say 90% of it and so I don't see hydroelectricity supplying any electric fuel supplies in the outback at all.

In short I think there is way too much media woolly wombat propaganda going on at the moment with electric cars but hey it sells news and if it sells news like sexual titillation from sex scandals etc the media will champion it won't they.

So for the money needed for a good secondhand Tesla amazingly I would spend my loot on quite a few secondhand Rolls Royce's err Cloud and maybe even a Bentley.

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 17:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are correct in what you say,in Ireland Petrol is 1.42 c a litre and 87.23c is tax and the seller& supplier get 12c
Yesterday I went to get fuel and there was a line of 15 cars waiting,Where are we going to get enough plug in points?
What size wiring will be needed to supply the power.
The Irish government can't do without these taxes.the same as tax on cigarettes @ 12.50. A pack of 20 & 9.50€ Is tax per 20
& Wine the duty on a bottle is 3.19 + 23% sales tax,a 2.50 bottle of wine delivered to Ireland costs us 10€ They need all these taxes to survive.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A line of 15 cars waiting? Kevin have you slipped and hit your head? Nobody waits for fuel in a line with 14 cars in front of you!

Never saw it in Russia 20 years ago and the Rouble had collapsed.

Madness Kevin.

Kevin I will never visit Ireland ever!!!!

Kevin I had these personalised plates picked out:

CCCP

Soviet Red On White. Price was $2677 AUD

AND SOME OTHER BASTARD GOT IN FIRST.

My plan was to hang them off my 1976 Cadillac and ship it to Europe and drive flat out to Russian Border and then with appropriate bribes intact blast the 2 Ton missile to Togliatti Russia. Being sensible coming in sideways.

But Kevin seriously waiting in a line at a bloody servo for 14 other cars to move and me sitting there innocently surrounded by Irish females as young as 30, long curly red hair and freckles.

15 in line you say?

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the petrol station had 8 pumps beside each other and a car at each pump and another car or 2 cars behind each other.and when you fill up you then go into the store to pay and you wait again to pay while some people buy coffee and other things so the cars are waiting to get to the pump.

Some people fill up and go in to pay and go get a coffee from the machine and make other purchases while you are parked behind them waiting to get to the pump that they are blocking so it can build up.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3266
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Outback environmently friendly electricity generation:

1. Photovoltaic panels - already installed in large numbers plus new sites in other remote locations are being created on a regular basis. Main limiting factor now is access from the new locations to the National Grid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Australia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-10/two-of-australias-biggest-solar-farms-set-for-balranald/10359110

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2015-04-18/nyngan-largest-solar-plant-in-australia/6402112

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/nsw-largest-solar-farm-gets-government-s-green-light-20181228-p50om4.html

2. Wind power

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Australia

3. Geothermal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power_in_Australia

It is early days at the moment however the renewable energy industry will increase exponentially in the years to come as equipment and installation costs decrease from economies of scale.

IMHO it is a no-brainer.....

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Charging the shadow....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Win win, used 18.5kwh of electricity today, topped up the electric car etc, 99% self powered today.
Wow and being paid for all the electricity we use.
The Tesla Powerwall is working in full song.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmmn yes David. I just wonder how many acres of land you would need and what enormous amount of loot you would need for solar panels and how many hours a day you would spend cleaning the dust off the solar panels to have reliable power supply at Mount Coolon for air-conditioning.

The cost would exceed the value of the property many times over.

Well at least I don't have to wait at the bowser and plenty of parking spaces. Only 20 outages for household electricity a year.

Perhaps Nuclear Fusion will solve the problem and then, right then, for certain the government will tax something, to compensate for a massive lot of tax.

Really Ross, you just park the Shadow next to the panels and its all done?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Really Ross, you just park the Shadow next to the panels and its all done?"

Can do with induction charging, top secret!

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, Vlad,

Well, I just assumed that's how it works. I've only charged it a few times but the needle still moves on the fuel gauge when I press the little charge status button.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad have looked at Trilogy variable cooling etc
GSHP may do all you need.

Ross pleased to here that your level system works repaired mine many years ago, stopped working the other day, much needed as a run level below the full mark!

David Gore

Post Number: 3267
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 08:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

You would only need a 15kW unit with battery storage to go completely off-grid however your pay back using a feed-in tariff to your local electricity supplier would be around 7 to 8 years subject to what they pay. It is highly probable this period would be substantially reduced if your extended sojourns in places unknown continue!

I attended a major computer technology event in Sydney last week and had a conversation with one of the attendees who commented the State Governments are very concerned with the increasing loss of revenue from fuel taxes as electric cars become more popular [this is one reason luxury car tax has not been removed so far]. Serious consideration is being given to a suggestion related to a new property tax based on roof area as these are increasingly being used for generating solar power for vehicle recharging and this will inevitably "sky rocket" when the luxury car tax is removed and more affordable electric cars currently under development reach the market.

The roof area of properties is easy to obtain from satellite imaging and camouflaging is easily negated by Google street view images showing buildings not visible in the satellite images. A growth tax easily assessed and very hard to avoid; impossible for a Government to ignore.........

Our next door neighbour has installed a solar power system and has no maintenance problems with dust on the panels affecting performance as wind and rain is sufficient to keep the panels clean even though we have a major dust problem from earthmoving at nearby land developments for subdivision and sale for housing. In your location, a broom and bucket clean with a quick hose down afterwards is all that would be needed if the rain god fails to deliver. The most likely damage to the panels comes from hail however the materials used for the panels are being continually updated and we have had several intense hail storms since the panels were installed with no damage occurring.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had been told that the revenue will come from toll roads for the future with the bonus of clean air in the UK also the higher taxing of alcohol.
Don't dither go get, electric cars and solar are the future.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cleaning Panels Beware!

"a broom and bucket clean with a quick hose down afterwards is all that would be needed"

Now what was I taught years ago, it is the volts that jolt and the mils, millamps that kill.

David Gore

Post Number: 3268
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat,

That is why solar panel installations in Australia are required to have a specified isolation switch to cover situations like this and when maintenance/panel replacement is required. There has been a recent Government-ordered recall of faulty isolation switches due to an inherent fire hazard:

https://www.solargain.com.au/dc-isolator-recalls

An enhanced protection system is also available which adds extra levels of safety especially for bushfire and flood prone locations:

https://remotesolarisolator.com/how-it-works/

https://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/safetyinsolar-solar-panel-isolation-system/

Does your system have an external clearly marked visble and accessible remote panel isolation switch??

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 17:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David you are talking nonsense.
The solar DC supply (from panels to the DC isolator) will still be a live hazard.
PV systems still produce DC voltage while there is daylight.
We are talking about the washing of panels with water.
To argue on such a safety issue is irresponsible.
To clean solar panels best to clean at night.

David Gore

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The isolators I am referring to are a series of isolators each connected to 2 panels only which are supplementary to a single main isolating switch which isolates the entire panel array from the battery/inverter components. Have another look at the last link in my post which explains in detail how this form of protection functions and which provides complete protection when cleaning functioning panels in daylight hours.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Wednesday, 08 May, 2019 - 03:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, Nice try, first you say a broom and bucket is all that is needed, wrong DC currant leakage can cause electrocution.

Second, you then say "Australia are required to have a specified isolation switch to cover situations like this and when maintenance/panel replacement is required"
BTW the fire hazard of the switch the most probable cause was the fitment of AC and not DC types.

Third, now you change to Isolators not Isolator, wonder why! but that is a feeble costly system that still by there own admission will still have low DC currant. " when activated, knocking back the power produced to that of the first 2 panels in the array. Although these panels will still produce power after activation, the DC voltage will be reduced to what is considered to be ‘extra low voltage’"

And most folk know that DC voltage is a killer,
a restricted two panel with leakage will still give a electrical jolt tingle enough to cause a fatal slip on a roof etc.
BTW I have many safety systems within the inverters and isolators AC and DC and would not entertain washing panels in day time.
BEWARE!

Grand Master

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Wednesday, 08 May, 2019 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Solar panels in Mount Coolon would require daily cleaning of dust produced by the passing road trains on the dirt road.

Next task: invent solar panels that self clean.

I get twenty outages a year with the energy company and they always have more excuses than a pregnant nun, just like the government always has.

I would like to go solar but the initial cost of set up is staggering.

Infact I could buy a Bentley with the funds.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2150
Posted on Wednesday, 08 May, 2019 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, could you get a off grid subsidy of some sort or is it a twisted slippery OZ con?

Just seen this:

https://www.energymatters.com.au/stand-alone-power/remote-power-rebates/

Grand Master

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Wednesday, 08 May, 2019 - 11:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More likely government con job especially if they are offering a Zack, government hate anybody going off grid. Reason no tax. For local rates I pay $1100 a year and that's just to provide the bill because they provide nothing, zero and zilch!

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, 09 May, 2019 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a neat idea, and it includes self cleaning solar panels.

https://smartflower.com/

Grand Master

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Thursday, 09 May, 2019 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jolly good one there Mark. I will look into those when I get the chance.

Apart from extremely dry interior Australia Mount Coolon has one hell of a lot of sunshine.

In fact I often swear at the sun because its downright savage and often, but then I have been often thinking one day I will take advantage of it somehow.

On the other hand I have a strange tendency to take on too many projects ie classic cars. Worst still is when I look at US real estate and in particular at the moment upstate NY old houses. Some very mind bending stunning old time timberwork on the interiors and at prices that are hideously low.

Those flower type solar panels would fit in with a nice sized Dalek on the roof of the stone cottage,

Hmmn, yes. Will also have to check how much wind they can take before their petals become airborne and imbed themselves into the pub roof or take a cowboys head off or both.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well OZ producing an electric vehicle!

https://www.ace-ev.com.au/wp-content/uploads/A4-Yewt-broc-website.pdf.

Is it under licence, I see from the spec it seems to be LHD.
Useful type of vehicle though.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's cute!!

Grand Master

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's ugly just like a garden slug! And its got a bloody kangaroo on the front and I don't think its appearance would be improved if it hit a big red one at 60 mph...

I hate taxes and I hate taxes on cars but clearly a tax on ugliness must be legislated or even the kangaroos will defect to another country.

David Gore

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reminds me of an electrified Mini Moke from the mid-1960's....................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Moke

These were hugely popular in Australia with many variants as detailed in this reference. I fondly remember renting one in Alice Springs in the 1970's and going off-road sightseeing places which were supposedly 4WD access only.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Vladimir,... you a Dr Who fan?

Graham.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham very much so, Daleks are my favourite pets!

David Gore

Post Number: 3286
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

VLADIMIR,

PussNasty is livid...........

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Vladimir,..

I'm a big fan as well,..

I was the treasurer of the Dr Who Club of Victoria.

Met a few of the Dr's and companions,...

I have Terry Malloys autograph.

That's right,.. Davros himself!

Met quite a few actors and actress's.
;)

Oh, and I have the Dr Who pinball machine!

We now return you to your regular programming,..

Graham.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Sunday, 12 May, 2019 - 04:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, You have the Dr Who Pinball Machine! Like the old type stand up, make lots of noise pinball machine. Now that would be something.

In 1964 or thereabouts in Woollahra Sydney Australia I was at 8 years old introduced to science fiction via Dr Who on the television.

It was the episode with the first Doctor which had the Daleks and people crawling around underground etc.

I went from that to having my very own Black Dalek rolling down the pavements of Sydney.

I thereafter went onto Magnus the Robot Fighter, and saw It Came From Outer Space and a marvellous movie, he name escapes me about man going to Mars.

Sydney in those days is not the festering rathole it is today.

David Puss Nasty understands these things as she herself is evil personified.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, 12 May, 2019 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Vladimir,..

Here are my Dr Who AND Stargate pinball machines.

i.postimg.cc/V6nhKKMR/PIC-0889.jpg

i.postimg.cc/hGHw8kJv/PIC-0890.jpg

And to top it off,...

I have the floor plan for the set of 'Warriors Gate', I had it framed.

i.postimg.cc/sgHbxQsp/PIC-0887.jpg

i.postimg.cc/HLJRyYkF/PIC-0888.jpg

You and I have to meet for coffee some time.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Sunday, 12 May, 2019 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

You have now let the proverbial "cat out of the bag" - you will have to arrange a week-long Doctor Who pinball challenge .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: