Weather - Mount Coolon Winter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Weather - Mount Coolon Winter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 960
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jetsetters, right now as I write the temperature at just before 5am in the morning is 2C or 35F or thereabouts.

I have checked the temp on both my cooling system analyser temp gauge and the outside side mirror guage on the 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood and its definitely 2C regardless of the what the internet Wiley Weather temperature says because thats down the road an hour and a half away at Moranbah, a ghastly mining town which alternates between boom and bust frequently enlightening and destroying families as it goes along.

This is the weather I like, just like a spring day in Russia. I really don't miss the snow or ice of a Russian winter.

I recall vividly making my way to school there to teach English in 2000 rugged up with Sable fur hat and a suit and tie under a sneg platetz (snow coat) taking 4 steps and slipping over on my butt on the ice before making it into the snow covered streets where I would march 5 kilometres to the school at 25 Soviet Army Street Samara with the snow up to my kneecaps.

By the time I got to school walking in minus 40C I would be sweating like a pig from the exercise and the central heating of the school would feel like a mindsmashing orgasm upon entry. During my break I would bum cigarettes off the policeman stationed there and armed with a loaded pistol. There was only one entrance to the school which is a good idea for our American friends. I think anyone pulling out a weapon in that school would be shot dead before he had chance to cause a massacre of the kiddies.

But the first mindsmash I would get would be walking from the heated apartment outside. It felt like being smashed in the face with a baseball bat.

But walking in the snow and on ice to five kilometres to work was better than getting on the bus because the buses (old Soviet Zils) would be packed with people like sardines in a tin.

Then I used to have a big problem getting to see out the window because there would be 2 inches of ice on the inside of the window and so walking was better.

So although I still miss life in Russia, life at Mount Coolon Queensland Australia is much better even with the unbearable heat in summer.

Summer in Mount Coolon is not as nasty as summer in Bowen on the coast where I used to work keeping a fleet of buses repaired and serviced.

In Bowen my clothes would be saturated in sweat by 10am due to the humidity. Then there were the billions of blood sucking mosquitos to deal with. I would cover my bare skin with mosquito repellent and the sweat would wash the repellent off in minutes and then the nasty mosquitos would make a meal out of me, then I would scratch the bite marks till I bled.

Bowen is a tropical town, full of humidity, methamphetamine addicts, coppers (pointlessly attempting to catch the dealers ) lunatics, and worst of all Asian cars, buses and trucks.

Apart from that Bowen is full of empty shops. Many businesses have gone broke and the ones that are operating think mistakenly the mining boom is still in full swing still which it is definitely not. It is in reality a complete basketcase of a tropical city.

Yes Bowen is the city where the movie "Australia" was shot with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. Nicole evidently hated the place and would not come out of her hotel room except to act in the movie and when she was standing outside there would be some lady holding an unbrella over her pretty body to keep the burning sun off her.

Nobody I met in Bowen had a nice word to say about Nicole. Great actress but definitely not a Bowen girl and the locals picked up on that big time real fast.

One the top of the tallest hill is a big concrete water tank with the words "Bowenwood" a pun on the word "Hollywood".

I never saw a Rolls Royce in Bowen apart from my Purple Silver Spirit.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 961
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Postnote: I just went outside to check on my new addition to the family here, Roger the Rapist Rooster. Its 6.13am and I felt it was much colder outside than in my man cave where I write. So I brought out my thermometer and the needle immediately dropped off the scale to somewhere between minus 5 to 10C!

So there you have it jetsetters, hot as buggery in summer and below freezing in winter! Still by 9am through to 6pm the weather is absolutely perfect.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 17:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
I picked up a beautiful sable Soviet hat with fold up back and ears when I was in Bulgaria.
It still sports the Soviet badge proudly on the front.

It is the warmest thing I have ever worn.
It seems to generate its own heat.

Stay warm mate.
Hot Sake is good for keeping the cockles of your heart warm.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: