Top Journalist Twit - First Holdens T... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Top Journalist Twit - First Holdens Three Detroit Made « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 912
Posted on Saturday, 19 May, 2018 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many years actually decades ago I watched one of Australia's top TV journalists utter in the opening sentence of a program about Holden " There are some who say the first three Holdens were designed and built in the USA - So What!"

I got immediately furious and had he been within reach I would have beaten him silly with a wet fish.

GMH Holden always lied like a poisonous mongrel toad about Holden being an Australian Car designed for Aussie conditions. Complete dribble.

I think that fool should have been gutted like a fish for such hideous propaganda.

The foul swine!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2893
Posted on Sunday, 20 May, 2018 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would accept the 48/215 being a standard post-WW2 Chevrolet modified for Australian conditions. I recall seeing a photo many years ago of the Chevrolet parent and the parentage of the Holden body shape was obvious.

Post WW2, I doubt GMH would have had the time and money to design and test the original Holden in Australia for sale in 1948 from scratch. Being able to "piggy back" on the US Chevrolet design was essential in the rush to get the car into the market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_48-215

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Laurence Hartnet was brought to Australia from Vauxhall in the UK to head up the first Australian car project.
This is what they came up with.

This was rejected by GM
Then the famous 3 hand made prototypes were built in Detroit; extensively tested then sent here.
As a final name for the Australian car had not been decided, the cars were sent here with GMH on the bonnet.

This was changed to Holden when the name was decided.
One of these 3 prototypes is in the Australian National Heritage Museum.

I wonder if those 3 GMH letters that were removed are still in some mechanics tool box?????

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 22:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

It is my recollection the first 3 prototypes were registered in Victoria as Chevrolets in 1946/47. It is possible the GMH badge was a later installation around 1948 before the Holden name was selected.

If my memory is correct, one of the prototypes was in Peter Brigg's Perth Museum when we were in Perth for the 2002 RROCA Federal Rally. I didn't take much notice at the time as Peter started his 4.5 litre Bentley race car for us and this was an irresistable attraction.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

There were some images i rememebr of these 3 with the GMH badges on them supposedly testing in the USA, but I can’t find anything about that now.

Yes, they certainly were registered as Chev’s.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: