Together we will meet again in 2019 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Together we will meet again in 2019 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 03:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was proposed that our 2019 meet would be centred around the Goodwood festival of speed 4th till 7th of July, so far we have Alan Dibley, benoit Leus, Barry Murphy, Larry Kavanagh, Stephen Mullan, Omar M Shams and Richard Yeaman.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, Thanks for the advance notice regarding our Goodwood geek meet. It was suggested at our recent Birmingham meet that - for logistical, convenience and practical reasons - it would be a good idea if all attendees would stay at the same accommodation. I've been trawling the internet and have noticed that hotels in the immediate area are already charging silly and outrageous money for bookings during the Goodwood festival but there are very reasonable prices available at Ibis Budget Hotel, Portsmouth which is approx. 20 miles from the event so I'm throwing in that suggestion as my 2c worth. If I find any other suitable accommodation I'll post the details. I know it's very early to be choosing a place to stay but attendees can number over 100,000 per day at the festival so availability may become scarce soon.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 09:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

larry you are so right and I think that Southampton should be our base and leave Hotel choice to the individual, 2018 visit to Crewe we stayed in an Ibis Hotel it was clean and reasonably priced, I will check them out later thanks for the help.

Richard.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 878
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2018 - 09:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just noticed this was in Summer. I'll clear the dates.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, 22 November, 2018 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross that would be something else, I will look forward to that,

Richard.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, 23 November, 2018 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Fast cars, interesting company, and jumbles... Can't very well miss that.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2018 - 09:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few weeks ago I was having trouble finding suitable accommodation close to the venue, and at a reasonable price, so I booked a cottage on the coast about nine miles from the Festival, Larry Kavanagh, Larrys friend John, Benoit Leus, Barry Murphy, Stephen Mullan, Richard Yeaman. will be staying here, today I also booked my tickets for admission on Saturday and Sunday.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 01:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A cottage on the coast, lovely, I'll bring my swimming costume! You're one organised man Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John said that he will bring his bucket & spade!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 885
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 01:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

What would it take to get in on the cottage lodgings?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Friday, 07 December, 2018 - 08:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry that would be a sight.

Ross you are more than welcome, no room service, just muck in, and the cost hardly anything.

Richard

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2018 - 09:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last week I booked another cottage, it is a 25 minute drive to the goodwood festival of speed, it is well equipped has a large garden 3/4 of an acre and adequate car parking, it is in a little village called Frittleworth the cost is equal share of total.

Richard

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 887
Posted on Wednesday, 12 December, 2018 - 01:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, sounds grand. I'll be in touch.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, 15 February, 2019 - 01:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I provisionally booked a venue for our get together in July, I have booked a 400 year old country pub and inn called The Fox goes free www.thefoxgoesfree.com on Saturday the 6th a table is booked for 7.45 every one is welcome to call in for a coffee a beer or stay for dinner, I will be presenting everyone In attendance a key ring as a keep sake, The Inn is about 1 mile from goodwood Horse race course, it should be good crack.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, 15 February, 2019 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for organising the meal venue Richard, I'm looking forward to Goodwood already. Hope to bring the Silver Shadow this time.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, 15 February, 2019 - 08:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry that would be nice, A good wee run for the Shadow, I might bring the Turbo R and if Alan brings the Bentley T how good would that be.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, 16 February, 2019 - 06:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That would be grrrreat Richard and maybe Benoit might bring his Silver Shadow too, no pressure Benoit. I'm due to deliver a blushing bride to church in the Silver Shadow in your neck of the woods on 27th April. That should be a nice wee practice run (for the Silver Shadow, not the bride).

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I got an email today from Ross Kowalski confirming his involvement in our meeting at the Goodwood festival of speed, and his place in one of the cottages, a warm welcome to Ross.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news Richard, looking forward to meeting Ross too. I think that's 8 people attending so far? The more the merrier. How many will the cottage cater for?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 07:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry I have two cottages with a total number of nine, beds, in the cottage in Selsey its the one at the sea side there is room for five, and the cottage in Fittleworth has four, Everyone will have a bed to themselves, and there are two bathrooms in each, the maximum in both cottages is fourteen. so nine is just right, So far confirmed friends are Larry, john, Benoit, Ross, Barry, Stephen and Richard, and the cottages are booked from 5th July till the 8th July so there is room for Two more, Obviously if there are couples there is room for more.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi back again just received confirmation from Mr Alan Dibley reserving his place in a cottage, A big Welcome to Alan.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 02:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you notice that "Mr"? It's nice to get a bit of old-fashioned courtesy occasionally. So let's have a some respect from you oiks when we go to Goodwood.

Mr Alan Dibley O.B.E. (Over Bloody Eighty)_

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 08:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Sir Alan Dibley O.B.E. (Octogenarian Bentley Enthusiast).

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 06:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice one, Larry.

Alan L S Dibley.

Benoit Leus
Grand Master
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, 24 March, 2019 - 04:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it's OK with everyone and there is still enough room, I'd like to bring along a friend of mine.
He doesn't own a Rolls or Bentley, but he's a real car enthousiast and nice bloke.

Benoit

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Sunday, 24 March, 2019 - 07:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit of course your friend is welcome, I am looking forward to meeting you all again.

Richard.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, 11 April, 2019 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It has just occurred to me that I could offer a rather special visit to the workshop of a friend of mine. Look up "Cummins Railton" on the net. Terry clark, the builder of this beautiful monster, is a friend of mine and would enjoy entertaining a bunch of RR/B nerds. His workshop usually has streams of exotic or unusual machinery passing through - he is the go-to guy when all other folk have said "No" after a sharp intake of breath. Ferraris, Lambos, RR/B, vintage or veteran, an occasional GT40 or hyped-up rally car, etc........ And his own semi-replica of the Napier-Railton which holds (for ever) the Brooklands lap record. (It's got a 6 litre super-charged AND turbo-charged Cummins diesel engine, and it goes.)

Think about it - what about a visit to Weston-Super-Mare on one day before or after Goodwood. I can put up a few folk at home and Cheddar has a few B&Bs/hotels.

Alan D.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, 12 April, 2019 - 09:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent suggestion Alan, I would certainly be very interested, thank you for the offer. Monday 8th July would definitely suit me if that's agreeable to others as I expect to be heading from Goodwood to the ferry at Fishguard on that day and Weston-Super-Mere would be only a slight detour on my route. I'll wait and see what plans others have.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, 12 April, 2019 - 05:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can put off definite arrangements with Terry till the last moment - he won't want to organise it weeks in advance.

Alan D.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, 13 April, 2019 - 04:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK Alan, play it by ear is probably the best plan.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 931
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I haven't seen any talk of a commemorative key chain. If you want I can custom cut some in leather.

I did a bunch of laser cut ones recently. The completed ones had brass rivets and titanium rings.

Here's some pics.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 03:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Ross. The leather ones are the best as they don't add weight to tug at the ignition switch barrel. I don't know whether or not Richard has already commissioned some but no doubt he will be in touch but I'd personally love one of those classic period leather ones.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 03:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross I ordered them on the 10th of April, But I think your suggestion of some handmade ones would be marvellous, A double whammy, sounds good to me.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 03:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought some more tickets at the weekend and a red ink Limited message was shown when I was buying the Saturday ones, I use Goodwood.com official site, My advice is buy you tickets soon.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 04:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What's the best day to order for Richard? I'm not sure if I'll be attending for 1 or 2 days (Sat, Sun or both).

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 05:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Larry Stephen Barry and myself are going Sat and Sunday, but its a matter for yourself.

Richard.

Benoit Leus
Grand Master
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, 17 April, 2019 - 05:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks you for the warning, Richard.
I ordered our tickets today.
We will only be able to attend the Festival of Speed on Saturday, as we have to go back to Belgium on Sunday due to work

So we will arrive on Friday and leave somewhere Sunday.

Benoit

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, 17 April, 2019 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You were correct about the urgency in ordering tickets Richard, I tried to book for Saturday but all grandstand tickets are sold out. I booked for Sunday.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, 17 April, 2019 - 06:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry you can book Saturday admission entrance only 70 which means you can roam around, these are the ones I bought.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, 18 April, 2019 - 09:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard, I've just bought the tickets for the enclosure for Saturday too so hope to be there on Saturday & Sunday.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: