Weed killer. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Weed killer. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2017 - 03:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

a weed is technically an unwanted plant.

I have rampant ivy which is damaging a block garden wall.

I have 12.5 kgs of rock salt and 1 kg of washing soda for the waxy coating on the leaves.

Mix the salt with the soda crystals and water then sprinkle over plant.

Has anybody tried this?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2017 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A possible problem using salt is nothing will grow in the contaminated soil for a considerable time afterwards until the salt residues are leached away by rain and garden hosing.

If you are worried by the inevitable "bare patch", you can plant salt-tolerant plants suitable for marine environments where salt spray is inevitable.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2017 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cut the thick ivy stalks close to the ground using a garden loppers. This cuts off the feed to the plant and it slowly dies away although new shoots may grow from the root after a while. Once it dies it's usually easy to pull it from the wall by hand. I grab a thick piece at the bottom and pull it and a large portion usually come away at a time.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2017 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dont want anything to grow where the ivy is.

Any idea what ratios to use.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2017 - 04:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Then use this "Rosate" Many links but this will give you some idea.https://www.amenity.co.uk/total-systemic-weed-killers/rosate-360-tf-1l-glyphosate-weed-killer.html
Have used on ivy to kill it completly.