Car inspection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Car inspection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 307
Posted on Saturday, 18 July, 2015 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today a mate brought round a Ford Galaxy people carrier with intention to buying. The seller was present. He said he took the drive belt off the aircon and re routed the belt to save fuel. I grabbed hold of the aircon pulley and it was a rattling good fit. In other words the compressor was knackered and he was trying to cover it up. To save fuel with con simply don't turn it on. To fix properly is £750. So we offered him a £1000 less than the asking price. (3000). Deal done at 2100 quid. The rest of the van is nice black leather.

My mate is not going to bother with the aircon unless a cheap compressor turns up used.

He's going to lift the suspension by 2 " and fit knobly front tyres and use it for fishing and camping.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 847
Posted on Monday, 20 July, 2015 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If presented with a vehicle with the air con belt removed 'for economy' I walk - if not run - away. With the air con switched off no power is sapped from the engine or electrical system, so I see it as an attempt to cover up one or more serious problems with the setup. The only exception to this rule has been my current US spec Dodge Ram Day Van. I wasn't bothered if it worked or not, but was pleasantly suprised to have it work perfectly once it had been recharged. As previously mentioned: It's an old (pre '93) r12a system, but has been refilled with r417a which is compatible.