Signs of spring. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Signs of spring. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 188.29.165.166
Posted on Tuesday, 07 April, 2015 - 03:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely spring weather today easter Monday.

A fella asked me if I wanted my drive tarmac ed.
I declined because I have a local guy who does mates rates and is check a trade approved. And the drive is ok.
The fella then offers to buy my brother in laws caravan. I said its my BILs and the fella said tell him it had been stolen.

And this fella type wonder why we dont trust them.

My eldest son and his two sons were watching him like a hawk.

Last year a tarmac traveller told my neighbour that if the pothole is not filled then the local council will fine you.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, 07 April, 2015 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pikeys. Can't live with 'em; can't leave out bear traps for 'em!

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.121.155
Posted on Wednesday, 08 April, 2015 - 04:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wont deal with them. They will rip you off. They fly tip and leave a huge clean up bill of thousands. The bleeding heart liberals say I dont understand their culture.
I do understand their culture, not the made up one but the real one which is criminal.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Wednesday, 08 April, 2015 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This problem is world-wide unfortunately - we have an annual problem with UK/Irish and other visiting "tradespeople" going door-to-door convincing mainly older people [who tend to be more gullible or trusting] their driveway needs resurfacing, their roof needs painting, their home needs termite/pest control treatment or the latest scam being "energy saving devices" which appeal to low-income households. They quickly extract payment and disappear leaving low-quality non-durable work behind with no redress for the client. Some warnings from our consumer protection authorities are below;

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Consumers/Scams/Types_of_scams/Door_to_door_scams.page

http://www.ewon.com.au/index.cfm/news-articles/scam-warning-to-seniors/

I like the tag "roving rogues with brogues" as a description for these low-life bottom feeders.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.121.155
Posted on Wednesday, 08 April, 2015 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One way of dealing with bottom feeders is to tell them that the property is rented. Refer them to a far away property company.

Also the criminal is looking for somewhere worth robbing for his cousins.

The local police do their best within the legal framework.
My local council are very reactive to the travellors. We say if you want to visit bournemouth use an approved camp site and pay for the pitch like everyone else, not on a kid's play ground and then threaten locals with vicious dogs. Within an hour of them setting up camp the council is in court getting a writ.
The police just watch them and note things down like car reg numbers.

A farmer in Wiltshire or somerset sprayed an illegal encampment with stinky farm slurry.

Also fly tipping goes up when the travellers turn up.
This can be very expensive to clean up and figures of £10k are not unusual.

One travelling family terrorised a retired guy to get at his savings. Fortunately the bank staff got suspicious and called the cops.

The main defence against pikeys is not to give them work, so that they move on quick.