Interesting website for UK owners Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Interesting website for UK owners « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Saturday, 03 June, 2017 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

This is a beta site for checking MOT history of cars in the UK. Not a great deal of info is given but still useful for prospective buyers. It helps explain why sellers have started whiting out their reg-plates in their ads. (yes, I know about cloning but it does raise suspicions)

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Saturday, 03 June, 2017 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the site also shows advises, mileage and failures over the years.

what terminology does one use for kilometre-age

As for whiting out just phone the seller for the reg no and check it out, if the seller refuses walk away. The car has something to hide or the owner has something to hide and one is best not to deal with maybe a dishonest person.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 00:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Geoff
Great site, just off to read my history now
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

interestingly the link does not open for people outside the UK.......

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 04:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It works from the US. I wonder why they are blocking other countries. In any case I guess the info is only relevant for people in the UK.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

this is what it said for me....................

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk - Access Denied
Error code 16
This request was blocked by the security rules
2017-06-03 19:17:21 UTC
Incident ID: 455000540132655225-323456963503915880

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

NO way am I putting up reg nos.
Had a car registered in my name that was not used and held back for spares.
Next I new was the flow of parking tickets from different locations, the offending car had the same reg no probably picked from a picture I had on the net of the car.
The police were involved after much pressure and case solved.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 18:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick
This is a government site.
Mike

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2017 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just for my own edification, how long has MOT inspection been a requirement?

For amusement I just tried searching on the original registration number for SRH33576, VYV803S, and as expected nothing comes up.

She's been in the USA since 1986 and may have left the UK in 1981 or shortly after, there were no records I could find between her being sold by the first owner to her second in January 1981 and being brought to the USA in March 1986.

I realize that ancient MOT records are not likely to be digitized (if they even exist at all) but was curious. Safety inspections in the USA have been around for longer than I have in many states of the Union, but there are still several that don't do them. Based on decades of statistical analyses it appears that it really doesn't have any impact on safety on the roads whether a state does or does not do annual safety inspections.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2017 - 02:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

I ran a test on a car I owned in the 1970s to see if it was still on the road. 450BOF, Daimler. I was pleased to see it is still on the road. The earliest MOT cited for it was 2007. This confirms your expectation that the MOTs for your car are far too early for inclusion in the database.

The MOT test in the UK was introduced in 1960, according to the wiki page. It does not give the years when the system was digitized.

Whilst I agree with you regards the lack of a vehicle test in the US the one area where it would be useful is in forcing owners to keep their headlights correctly aligned, particularly with the fashion for "blue headlights". When I am occasionally blinded by one I have been known to mutter "I wish we had a bloody MOT test" - lol.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2017 - 02:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

modern cars are very good at carrying on with faults such as dodgy ball joints long before they actually snap apart, normally the loose and knocking steering warns the driver before it actually fails.

BUT be warned some joints can fail without warning due to rust filling in the gaps.

BUT it depends on when it fails, by luck most seem to fail when parking at low speed and those that fail at higher speeds often just result with thew car scraping down the road and coming to a halt with no damage or injury.

I agree with Brian that mots are really just a bit of paper with no real benefit.

My sister has a service and a mot every year, without the mot (free) i suspect she would just drive the car with just under bonnet checks and only check the brakes when they go metal to metal. Even then the car will still stop even when the pads fall out and one is on the pistons. However my sister is not that stupid and would get the noise fixed as most owners would do.
Its the brainless I would worry about. And diy botchers.
There is a discussion about extending the MOT to every 2 years.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2017 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Road tax is exempt on cars before 08/01/1977.
Cars before 01/01/1960 are exempt from having an MOT and also are road fund exempt. [Historic]
It has been proved that these exempt mot cars that have had accidents and roadside checks have been well maintained and do not register on the radar!
Mike, nothing wrong with the government site, having pictures of our cars registration plates shown can and have time wasting consequences if another car has been used with them for what ever reason!

Just four 968 sports cabriolets including mine at a well attended collection at Beaulieu today.
Car ran without a hitch and the 3D printed gears working well within the speedo.

Patrick R, Mr Sheen working in all its glory!