John Beech, you OK. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » John Beech, you OK. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2017 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

I know your probbly " battenung down the hatches" and anchoring that chopper to the lawn, but when you have a chance, please shoot post.

You're in our thoughts.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2017 - 23:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too will be interested to hear from John.

We sold our house in Tampa 6 months ago. I've heard from friends there that Zone A has been evacuated. This is the fashionable (and expensive) part of Tampa, down by the Bay and subsequently prone to flooding. The storm is currently Cat 3 which is not going to do a lot of wind damage but of course the flooding could be devastating.

One big problem is this storm will likely bankrupt the insurance companies. When I moved to Tampa in 2004 the only insurance available was through a state run Company called Citizens. It was $5000 a year to insure the house. By 2010 the memory of the storms of 2004 had receded and other Companies had moved in to offer lower costs. At that time insurance cover on my house was a very reasonable $2000 per year. If IRMA does a lot of damage then the Insurance costs are going to rocket up again.

Our house was empty for a couple of months which would have been the nightmare scenario for us. A Cat 3 could easily take off part of the roof and the whole house would have flooded due to the torrential rain. I obviously wish the new owners well but at least they will be on site to mitigate any damage as the storm passes over.

I too was thinking about John's helicopter. He also has a large outbuilding which is at risk. Lets hope by the time the storm reaches Orlando it has dropped to a cat 1 or 2.

We may not hear from him for a while as the power is almost certain to be down for a while. When Charlie hit in 2004 I was amazed to see the Electric company maintenance crews were out in torrential rain, just after the worst of the storm had passed, repairing the power lines. Given this, if John's house does lose power, it's only likely to be for a day or two.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most of the state of Florida is without power. All we can do is wait it out and pray for our friends.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 02:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I sent a few messages to our good friend John yesterday. He and his family are fine. While the power was out for awhile it was restored to his area relatively quickly. He has a few repairs to make and some cleaning to do but all is good.
We should hear from him soon.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 02:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's very reassuring Kelly. Many thanks for putting our minds at ease.

Omar

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 06:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news, reassuring that people care about other's welfare,

Graham Watson
Frequent User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Kelly I am still waiting to hear from family friends in Fort Myers.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 545
Posted on Wednesday, 13 September, 2017 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good news about John. Thanks, Kelly.

Florida took some serious hits on that one.