"Connection has been reset" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » "Connection has been reset" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just curious if anyone else is getting this error when loading the forums over the last couple of days?

I'm suddenly getting this very frequently, and it's only on this site, and it's never been characteristic before.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

No - I have never seen this error when loading from this website.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Same as Geoff no.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to you both. It seems things have calmed down this evening, but I'll still be watching and waiting.

I found it really odd that the problem cropped up only on this forums website, which is what prompted me to ask.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I have been getting the occasional reset message but I suspect it is a browser/ISP problem and not the website as it is also occurring on other websites especially at peak usage times.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, 17 July, 2015 - 11:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am getting resets quite frequently and often need to go back and forward to correct.
Other sites occasionally but of all the sites I visit this is the worst.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just thought I'd do a follow-up report. I am continuing to get connection resets with great frequency and that frequency keeps picking up. It also remains limited to the forums website (at least in terms of frequency/regularity - I get these very rarely otherwise).

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

Have you tried all the usual things - resetting your modem and router etc. Sometimes cookies can cause this type of error on specific sites - have you tried clearing them out.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 11:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

"The usual things" have been tried dozens of times (literally) over the last few weeks to no avail.

Brian

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 13:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

"Connection Reset" is not an http:// thing; it is a TCP/IP thing. Your experience may be the result of distance from Oz, although theoretically that shouldn't matter. "In theory, there's no difference between 'theory' and 'practice'; in practice, there is." The much greater distance just means greater complexity and more cooks in the kitchen. I'm not sure how you'd go about debugging this, but I'd start with "traceroute". Fire up a background loop logging "traceroute http://au.rrforums.net/", and then when your connection resets, look in the log to see if the corresponding traceroute activity can implicate a culprit. You may find, for example, that during unstable periods of greater resets, you are being routed differently from the stable periods. This gives you a starting place.

Chris.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Are you using a wireless internet router?

If you are, try changing the channel setting on the router as you may be getting interference from a nearby router or other wireless device using the same channel as you. This is a common problem with the overloaded 2.4Ghz frequency in densely populated areas.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2015 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to report that I do get this error occasionally, but I've NEVER had it from this web site. I'm in the UK, which is just about as far from AU as you can get.

I know this is no help to you, it's obviously an individual connection/routing problem.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Friday, 24 July, 2015 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all: trust me, I value the suggestions you've given me but I tried most of them before every making the first post on this issue.

The problem is occurring only with the RROC-A Discussion Forums site, which is the only reason I asked.

This has got to be an issue "between here and there" since some of us keep having it happen while others do not. For me it's a mild annoyance, but I always try to get rid of those and solicit advice in case there's something obvious that I just didn't try. Based upon what I've tried and what's been offered I think any actual solution is out of my hands.

Brian