I was invited to show 1972, SRH13161 ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » I was invited to show 1972, SRH13161 at The California State Fair. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 03:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There I was tucked in amid several dozen late '60s GM muscle machines, and two early 30's Ford hot rods with GM engines -- really big engines. We all met at a nearby movie theater parking lot and formed a parade as we drove to the cordoned-off show area near the horse racing track. My car is not quite "show-ready", so I didn't open the hood or the trunk. Maybe next year...

The Rolls was in a class by itself. This is California, so everybody sees and admires custom muscle cars every day, and even though each is unique and an example of pride and fine workmanship, they are each just another example of the class of hot rods and muscle car. Almost the only Rolls Royce anybody sees around Sacramento, is mine.

Chris.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rolls Royces are not unknown in Bournemouth but theres not that many. Mainly Spirits and later.

I have never officially shown my car. I dump it in the car park with the modern stuff. The car has a constant 2 or 3 people looking at it. Last time at a RR show the car was covered in mud and dust. I didnt know about the show and was just passing. So I parked up. The car being dirty made a good contrast with the polished up RRs. Sort of here I am and this is what a daily driver looks like.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2017 - 01:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speaking of muscle cars, I just watched a show on television called Junkyard Empire and in Episode 3, which premiered May 18, 2016 there's a segment about removing the engine of 1975 Shadow (using a fork lift) and replacing it with a 600hp blown mouse. before they were done they drove the car and showed bits of the job and yakked about the engine mount fabrication but neither showed photos of video of the details and made no mention of how they hooked up the brakes.

With respect to the latter, were it me I'd probably use a Bendix Hydro-boost (pressure off the power steering pump). I have one of these on my P30 truck (an aluminum step van manufactured in 1974, which I have owned more than 20 years). Anyway, I found it passingly strange they made no mention of the brake aspect of the job. And while I doubt it's that particular car, here a photo of what it looked like (although theirs wasn't tubbed, nor did it have a roll cage, it was silver so it's conceiveably the same car).

Blown Roller
- A blown Roller will blow your mind - imagine this pulling up next to you at a signal light!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2017 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

for brakes use a Citroen belt driven pump.

Or how about a Clayton Dewandre type air over oil system as used on middle weight trucks and buses.

I saw a new Merc 7.5 ton GVW box van the other day and it had such a system and having driven such vehicles the brakes are excellent plus ABS.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2017 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The advantage of the Citroen belt-driven pump is it's designed by the patent holder for this type of brakes and it would be dead-nuts easy to fabricate a bracket and plumb lines to the reservoir. I like your line of thought better than using a hydro-boost, which would involve substantially more work.