Nonsensical message Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Nonsensical message « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 854
Posted on Friday, 06 April, 2018 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I use my laptop to access the forum and make an entry a window appears which does not appear if I use my smartphone.

Here is the contents of the window:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line 36
Char 3
Error Unable to get property 'create range' of undefined or null reference.
Code 0
URL http/au.rrforums.net/forums.net/forum/fpanel.js

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Yes No

That's the entire contents of the window.

If I hit Yes the window disappears for a second then comes back. The same thing happens if I hit No.

As soon as the window appears it stops me entering any text. I did a complete System Restore but that does not get rid of this window coming back.

Any ideas chaps?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Friday, 06 April, 2018 - 17:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have this on my old com many times when the connection download is slowing.
I tend to believe that other applications still running may be the cause.

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 06 April, 2018 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for reporting this, Vladimir. It's unfortunate that it is inconveniencing you but fortunate that you have a fallback.

Problems such as these are, sadly, very difficult to diagnose as there are so many factors involved. My immediate observations are

• This error has never been reported to me before so I must assume it is rare, or not sufficiently limiting to have prompted people to report it previously.
  • That the problem occurs on one device and not another from the same location and for the same user suggests that it is local to that one device.
  • That the URL noted is invalid: "http/au.rrforums.net/forums.net/forum/fpanel.js" does not exist. This could be a transcription error or evidence that the browser involved is garbling the links somehow.

My first suggestion is to upgrade the browser program or try another browser and see what happens.
It would also be helpful for me to see an actual screenshot of the error plus information about the operating system and browser being used. Feel free to send this information directly to me.

Obviously with the forum software (as we all know) being years out of support, if there is found to be a problem with the software itself the chances of fixing it are slim. I will nonetheless try to figure out what is going wrong. Thus far I can say that the web server logs give no indication of the problem, or hints to its cause. The JS code involved is related to cursor positioning in the 'Add a Message' text input window, which points again to a problem with the browser's rendering of that page.

Grand Master

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Administrator, thanks for your in depth reply. I will attempt to get that information to you asap Vladimir

Grand Master

Post Number: 856
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Administrator, it appears that I have solved the problem by way of your advice. I simply changed from Internet Explorer to Chrome and the pestering window failed to show up.

It may be a bug with Internet Explorer and that I have not downloaded the appropriate patch if it exists.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Internet Explorer has been consigned to the software graveyard and replaced by Microsoft Edge.

Personally, I prefer Google Chrome having changed over recently with the advent of a new laptop to replace my 8 year old Aldi Medion which has performed reliably and admirably over the years.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 17:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David
I still have to use Internet Explorer when I want to print out anything from the Australian RR Forum. With Edge or Firefox I cannot get only the forum content but invariably I must live with the "Discussion", "Documentation" and "Utilities" tree on the left of the message text on every page printed. I keep printing the most interesting tech articles and store them in classified files.
JoT

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 17:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David
I still have to use Internet Explorer when I want to print anything from the Australian RR Forum. With Edge or Firefox I cannot eliminate the tree to the left of the main text:

Discussion
Topics
Last Day
Last Week
Tree View

Documentation
Getting Started
Formatting
Troubleshooting
Program Credits

Utilities
Search
Contact
Register
User List
Edit Profile
Administration

being printed on every page. I keep making hard copies of interesting tech discussions and file these in indexed binders.
JoT

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In Firefox I get a full discussion page with no navigation bar when I right-click on a discussion link and 'Open Link in New Tab'. It prints like that as well. A quick test with other browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera and Safari) yields the same result. Here's
application/pdfan example from Firefox
AustralianRRForums_Nonsensical_message.pdf (130.2 k)

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, 09 April, 2018 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear admin
Many thanks for this tip. Now I finally can delete Internet Explorer for good.
JoT

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: