Electronic cigarettes ,pipes and cigars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Electronic cigarettes ,pipes and cigars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, 28 December, 2014 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi folks
HAPPY HOLIDAYS OR XMAS from Rockhampton Queensland

With all the lighters and ashtray's in the old girl, I thought I would bring up the discussion of tobacco and the great old days when smoking was the "IN THING". Dad was a heavy smoker some 40 woodbines a day mum was just as bad' and someone told me at school "heaven" was licking the windscreen after we went out on a long trip and long before the days of air-conditioning. I am sure I got out of the car smelling like a stale stinky BBQ with everything burnt even though we bought Kentucky Fried Chicken. That experience and peer pressure got me addicted to the same habit some 40 a day tobacco injection and along with Pipes and Cigars .I'm amazed I can still breath. The amount of tar I have ingested could have paved my front street. But my dad is still alive and is my mum and I.I have changed to the electronic type and been doing it for the last 12 months the ashtray's in the roller are empty the air-com doesn't skink and my wife who complains about everything "the fact I'm a man" is even happy. I know this subject is quite different but any one who has changed from Tobacco to the Electronic version would be a interesting reading

cheers Rob

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 722
Posted on Sunday, 28 December, 2014 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have three of the things and around 8 flavours of liquid. I just can't get on with them. It isn't the same experience even if the amount of nicotine is (allegedly) the same.
I've had flavoured real smokes in the past. The most amazing was 'apple'. It really was like smoking a cigarillo while eating a green apple!
Since I can obtain tobacco legally in the UK for around £15-£17 per half kilo plus £4.95 P&P (fixed regardless of amount ordered) I'll stick with roll ups for the time being, thank you very much.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, 29 December, 2014 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"my wife who complains about everything "the fact I'm a man" ....................

so this phenomenon is not just restricted to wives in the Middle East? and here I was thinking it was a local problem confined only to my street.....

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.79
Posted on Monday, 29 December, 2014 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Disco blur were the in smokes when I was a hippy with long struggley hair and ridiculous flaired trousers.

My dad used to smoke aromatic pipe tobacco. It was like a nightly ritual. The scraping of the pipe, then kneading the shag etc. Then the big moment of the light up. Lots of smoke. No smoke alarms then.

Your never alone with a Strand, and a picture of a lone man smoking a Strand under a street lamp.

Notice how the fun police are trying to ban e fags.

Latest in the UK is banning smoking at bus stops. Most bus stops are a sign on a post. I agree with cars because it's so confined and a driver distraction.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 723
Posted on Monday, 29 December, 2014 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a legal definition in the UK as to what constitutes 'indoors'. Most suburban bus shelters don't comply with it. It's all down to the width, depth, number of walls (maximum 3) height and whether there's a 'potential' fourth wall within a certain distance (?2 metres?) of the open side - max. height also 2 metres.

On the flip side if you're on your own in a partially enclosed shelter who's going to complain? But if there are others there it's only polite to ask if they object. Should one of them point out the 'no smoking' sign I would remind them that I asked if they objected, not a sheet of plastic!

So far the UK law just bans smoking in car when children are present. As for being a driver distraction I find it less distracting than the radio and I miss a lot of the news on that by being 'distracted' by the antics of other road users!

Unfortunately our 'representatives' (who only represent themselves and the monied classes) have gone into panic mode. Attempts have been made to ban vaping in many places. Claims have been made that vaping is a 'gateway' to smoking real tobacco. Without any scientific basis or medical trials lies have been spread about the bodily harm from vaping along with tales of passive vaping!

Bloody Nora. HELP!!!!

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Tuesday, 30 December, 2014 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vaping another new word for the dictionary.

I think that a lot of this is the anti fun installed by Victorians after Albert died. She went into mourning for decades, and the lackeys in court transmitted/infected it to the public.

With smoking at bus stops I suspect the sign on a post won't count.

Public smoking has dropped and I rarely see walkers smoking, I see few drivers though. My son works for a logistics company and smoking in the vehicles is prohibited and he's strict on it because of ISO 9000 accreditation.

Coffin nails. I like the double meaning. Coughing nails.

I look at drugs including tobbaco and alcohol as much the same as far as addiction. Just because some drinks 1/2 a pint of lager it doesn't mean that they will become an alcoholic. Some will but most won't. Also I think that the law is the wrong way to deal with the problems. It's a bit like using the army to sort out public disorder a short term fix that lasts for a day, and the fallout after which can last for years.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Frequent User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 00:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I smoke Champion Ruby and have been on patches about 20 times trying give the mongrels up. I have heard going to a deserted island for a year works but then I read stories that years ago when the ship came in men with crazed eyes would mow each other down for the tobacco shipment even though they hadn't had a fag for 6 months. The only thing that really works is the directors of the tobacco companies meeting the firing squad but that's never going to happen given the revenue that flows to the government from tobacco excise but they could bring in the breathing of the air tax and indeed they are probably thinking of it as we speak.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On this very day 7 years ago I came out of hospital following a serious illness. Not having had a fag for 2 weeks the first one was well less satisfying than the last one before going in. As I was not in the mood to give up at that time I persevered and was soon back up to previous levels, although they've slowly reduced in the intervening years.

However a year before I used to sneak down to the foyer of the local cardiac wing to enjoy a crafty smoke while I was recuperating from minor cardiac surgery.

The things we do ...

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't smoke.
I see it as a boredom buster. I have worked with smokers and I noticed that when they are concentrating and working with their hands they go for hours without a fag. As soon as a cup of tea appears out come the fags.

A couple of years back I was working on a big horizontal boring machine using paraffin as cutting oil. I had the workshop doors open to clear the smoke. A guy working with me lit up a fag and another threatened him about smoking. The workshop is 30ft high, 40 ft wide and 100 ft long with big doors at each end. It's about the same as smoking outside.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, 08 January, 2015 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree. I can be so distracted by what I'm doing that I can go for hours without a smoke. However, no matter what the weather I will take regular advantage of the outdoor smoking areas on board ferries. The trick is to determine which way the wind and spray are going.

However I would never smoke in an area where flammable liquids are being used as a cutting/lubricating fluid. The chance of some being converted into an explosive vapour is simply too great. Even normally less flammable substances can become explosive if finely divided. Explosions in sugar refineries and custard powder manufacturing plants used to be common until fire safety regulations were improved. On the other hand, YouTube is littered with clips of crazy Russians smoking while filling up at petrol stations with predictable results.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 09 January, 2015 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is not often mentioned is that while smoking, whatever is in the atmosphere such as fumes from a chemical process is being drawn and burnt along with the Baccy. Which is why smoking and using cleaning chemicals such as bleach can be fatal.

Many years ago a mechanic was washing car bits in petrol on a hot day. And bang. The fire guys said most likely a spark from to bits of steel hitting each other. The mechanic was very lucky because someone was very quick with a pressure washer and blew the flames away from him and soaking him with Water. The workshop burnt down.

Oh those crazy Russians