Audi quattro Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Audi quattro « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, 22 December, 2015 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

5 guys in an Audi Quattro got stopped by the police because the car is a Quattro and therefore 5 people is illegal.

The Quattro driver asks to see the inspector the copper replies he just having a word with 2 guys in a Fiat Uno

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 901
Posted on Wednesday, 23 December, 2015 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Audi Quattro. That takes me back. Back to a TV series that starred one and was set in the decade before the damn thing was first manufactured.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 813
Posted on Sunday, 27 December, 2015 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like the Quattro and the TT.
Except they are 2 door coupes. I like 4 doors.

The TT is not a particular fast car and is for your licence sake a better car than the Quattro.

The performance of my Jeep is slightly faster than my Shadow. Both cars have enough go to get ones collar felt.

70 mph in a Spirit is the same as 70 mph in a Turbo R.

I often see tv bloopers to do with cars like in Ice Cold in Alex. The prisoner is being driven away by the MPs at the end of the film. This film was set before the Battle of El Alamien. 1940. In the back ground is a Land Rover. Introduced in 1948.

Another one is every old Rolls-Royce is a Silver Cloud or Ghost.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, 28 December, 2015 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha ha Bob, I saw the Land Rover to. That was the first time I have ever watched the film all the way through and I'm 61!
Glad you have finally been diagnosed.
Regards, Nigel.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, 28 December, 2015 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel you are to be ashamed of yourself. 61 and seen Ice Cold In Alex only one time? I'm not much older (65) and lost count of the number of times I've seen it. That film, and many others, come around on British TV every significant anniversary of WWII.

"This was our finest hour". Sir Winston Churchill.

Now it's ...

"Bomb the crap out of innocent Syrian civilians". David Cameron.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Monday, 28 December, 2015 - 15:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am nearly 68 with a strong interest in the history of WW1 and WW2 and have never heard even a whisper about this film let alone seen it screened either in a theatre or on TV in Australia.

Surprising as the siege of Tobruk and the "Scrap Iron Flotilla" of ships that kept supplies up to the troops trapped there had a significant involvement of Australian Army personnel and Royal Australian Navy ships. In fact, Australian casualties and wounded during the siege and eventual relief of Tobruk were greater than all other forces as documented in the link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Tobruk

The experience of the crews on the 5 Australian destroyers that were named the Scrap Iron Flotilla on the "Tobruk Ferry" may be read on the following link which is part of a longer tribute to these ships and the role they played in WW2:

http://www.gunplot.net/matapan/scrapironflott12.html

The 70th Infantry Division of the British Army fought during the Western Desert Campaign of the Second World War. On 10 October 1941, the division was created when the 6th Infantry Division was renamed in an attempt to deceive Axis intelligence on the strength of the British military in the Middle East.

The Royal Navy transported the division to Tobruk from 19 September to 25 October, in a politically controversial move to relieve the mainly Australian garrison which had been defending the port for almost seven months, since the beginning of the Siege of Tobruk.

The official war histories of Britain and Australia document the Siege of Tobruk in considerable detail as it was a significant turning point in the war in the Middle-East and was the first major defeat inflicted on the Axis forces in WW2 which was then followed by the three Battles of El Alamein in 1942 which forced Rommel and the Axis forces into a full-scale retreat and eventual complete withdrawal from Africa.

https://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/el_alamein/reading/

Bob Reddington, you may have a special interest in this brief summary - if my memory is correct, your father was a participant in the El Alamein battles.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Monday, 28 December, 2015 - 20:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

TT is not a particular fast car

Not exactly slow in top-spec. My brother and sister have both just this month taken delivery if a new TT convertible. The TT cabis have been off the Australian market for three years and have just been released again. The new roof mechanism is very impressive, and my brother compares the car favourably to his six month old 911. At last the DCT does an really fine job unlike earlier version like on the sad S4 I had a few years ago. Mind you the tacky Quattro badge on the TT dashboard spoils the style completely. Ahses to Ashes cemented the Quattro brand, but the TT is really an amazing motor car/

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3243
Posted on Monday, 28 December, 2015 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PS pity Wild Oats retiring ignominiously from the Sydney-Hobart race with its Audi mainsail ripped. My brother can carry the Audi flag with number plates 0000.