What the idle poor do on rainy days Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » What the idle poor do on rainy days « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If often troll the internet and check out prices on Zils, RR/B and even Armstrong Siddleys and weird Borgward Isabellas.

One of the weirds things (and I naturally seek the weird) are the prices in Netherlands and Eastern European countries for true basket cases.

I am convinced that there was at some time a KGB billion ruble propaganda campaign to convince all comrades that any westerner is mega-rich and mega-ignorant about the values of their own cars let alone Soviet made vehicles and that somehow this campaign spread to the Netherlands and Belgium.

I cannot remember even once after years of trolling the internet ever seeing a car advertised in Netherlands ever having a half reasonable price - not once !

The thing about buying soviet is you know the machinery was rubble when new with the exception of Zil probably because if there was a quality control problem there that could be easily solved with a quick skull shot.

And then I spotted it --- a 1947 Moskvitch only missing a hubcap, restorable at an asking price just under $5000 AUD in Estonia and the bargain inducing words "have no money". Hmmmm......

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

You didn't include a Trabant in your list - the only vehicle with a protective smoke screen to hide you from the constabulary included as standard!

On a serious note, the Trabant appears to have become quite popular with car collectors in the West due to its cost, quirky nature and an active spare parts network.

My favourite Trabant joke was the rear heater for keeping your hands warm while you pushed it.

Grand Master

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No David I have thought about Trabant and I admit my eccentricities however having a car of astounding questionable quality that is made from pressed cotton - well even I have to draw the line somewhere.

Now to blow your mind when I was recently at Camooweal a couple of hours northwest of Mount Isa what did I see drive down next to the Pub - a Trabant ! Who served me in the pub - an East German girl !

And let me tell you if you have never been served by somebody whose customer service technique bears resemblance between a saltwater crocodile and a pit bull cage fighting dog on acid I invite you to fly to Camooweal for the experience. I thought at one stage the female jillaroos where going to lynch her !!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Isabella is quite a nice car.

cars that are ignored on the classic market.

Fiat 126 and the first Pandas. Both these are fun to drive and restoration is easy because there isn't many bits.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

The mind boggles - how did she avoid the jillaroo lynch party?

They breed 'em tough outback......

Surprised the Trabant made it to Camooweal - surely there isn't that much 2-stroke oil in Queensland and the oil smoke trail seen from space would have been more prominent than a Libyan oil terminal fire!!!!!!

The Barkly Highway is the only major highway in Australia that I have not driven on and it is one I am looking forward to.

Grand Master

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David no idea how she avoided getting a serious flogging from some of the jillaroos - they might be female but a lot of them can throw cattle around and punching heads in the outback has not really died out like in the city.

Pure luck I think plus they considered her quite mad in the head.

The Barkly Highway is definitely Bentley Turbo country. The road is perfect but it would be wise to avoid dawn and dusk unless you want Mr. Kangaroo to remodel your grill.

It's 130 kph straight over the NT border.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 907
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IIRC the Trabant factory was willing to go to almost any lengths to continue production in the face of supply shortages. Almost any grade of metal would be used to form body components - as long as it didn't damage the forming dies - and even non metallic materials could be pressed into service. Papier maché and even wicker work bodies were far from unknown. I'm not sure I would want to drive a wicker, unheated car around Russia in Winter!

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2017 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Better than walking, and with the obvious benefit of the built-in hand warmer when you push.