Colour or Color and the interior match Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Colour or Color and the interior match « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

.Greetings jet setters - as you know I am in full tilt mode restoring my Jaguar 420G (classy Mark X) Initially I had decided to paint it black with blood red interior because saw one in Sydney and the chrome with the black struck me as super cool.

But then it being black one has tolerate numbskulls commenting " it looks like a funeral car ". These are usually dopes whose brains have just enough power to operate their essential body organs and scrape in just being able to say something insulting. I am totally with Hannibal Lector that the rude should be eaten.

That aside one day I hope to get my hands on a black Camargue because although my white Camargue looks swanky a black Camargue is super swanky and one can always ask the funeral comment loons where they last saw a two door funeral car in coupe form apart from the fact that if one has a Camargue then out of necessity one should have two Camargues.

So I am fielding suggestions on different colour combinations for this Jaguar because I can only suggest a deep Maroon with Black interior.The paint finish if I was not doing it myself would cost $30,000 as I was taught paint by a pair of fanatical perfectionists so its important I get the colour interior spot on.

Originality means as much to me as a politicans promise or a pregnant nun"s excuses as I never sell I only buy. And in anycase the original colour was brown - goodness know what they were thinking when they ordered that!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir

This is very much a question of personal taste, but it is interesting to hear peoples preferences.

My preference is for light interiors. I find that a black interior sucks the light out of the car and is slightly oppressive. White is a bit harsh, but a light cream colour gives a nice airy feel to the car.

For paint I like the darker colours. I have never associated black with funeral cars (thanks for putting that in my head), so black, dark blue etc. Maroon I like, however I like a deep shine on paintwork and maroon never gets that deep gloss.

A long time ago I attended the Hunt house seminars. The lecturer on paintwork told us that good old fashioned cellulose/thinners was the best paint system for the deepest shine. The fact it is a soft finish that requires a lot of maintenance is the reason it was dropped in favour of the modern paint systems. He said modern finishes can never create the depth of reflection that a top quality cellulose finish produces. I don't know how true this is, but I do remember seeing a Cloud painted black, with such a deep mirror like finish it looked spectacular. I've always wondered if this car was in fact painted with cellulose paint. I've never seen anything quite so impressive since, which could be because cellulose is no longer widely used.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
I have a different take on life.
I believe we buy these cars to please us - not to please others. So I do to them whatever pleases me - because I can. If I like pink with blue stripes, then so be it. I did in fact have a few pink cars in my time - but that is another story - from what you have said, the answer to your question is (in the famous words of Mick Jagger)... Paint it black.
Take care
Omar

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2016 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMHO the best Jaguars are in British Racing Green with gold coach lines and Bright Chromium wire wheels - have fond memories of a trip from Newcastle to Bathurst for the October car race in the early 1970's in a brand new Jaguar 3.8S with this colour combination and cream leather trim.

Having had a car with black upholstery, I will never have it again - it is not appropriate for Australian summer conditions. Too hot to sit on if the car is parked in the sun and makes the interior of the car seem smaller than it really is. The darkest upholstery colour I would consider is the mid-grey used in my Toyota 4Runner, doesn't absorb too much heat and doesn't show the dirt and scrapes from rough usage as my work "carry-all" vehicle. My favourite was the light beige upholstery in DRH 14434 although it required regular cleaning due to grime pick-up from passengers being a problem.

For a deep gloss finish on acrylic 1K paintwork, I have always used Meguiars Yellow Wax with a minimum of 2 coats of wax with a full rub-down with cheesecloth between the coats finished with a final rub-down with new cheesecloth. Gives a beautiful "wet-look" gloss to the paintwork.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2016 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since multiple 2-cents have already been thrown out there I'll add 2 more.

I absolutely love maroon or burgundy metallic paints and with basecoat/clearcoat you can get very "under the water deep" look gloss.

Having had a black interior on one car and a black exterior on another I shall never have either again. The interiors just get too hot if you live anywhere that has clear skies and sun with any frequency. Black exteriors, while absolutely stunning when freshly washed and waxed, show every speck of dirt, dust, and pollen within moments of any exposure to real world conditions. It really is impossible to keep a black car looking clean for any period of time if you actually drive it (or don't cover it constantly when in the garage).

Maroon/burgundy metallic with a light tan (I love cream, but it gets dingy too quickly unless you're a slave to cleaning it constantly) interior, preferably with maroon piping to match the exterior, would be faaaaaaabulous! [I also like pearlescent paints, too, but they're clearly "not of the era" if that sort of thing concerns you.]

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 927
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2016 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the vehicle is intended to be sold then go for the original.
I like black interiors but if selling then maybe a lighter would be more popular. Resale red.

Blue interior and paint.
Green interior and paint.
Red interior, imperial red paint

Both the blue and the green are best on the darker side.

Metallics. Red green and blue all work well. Esp Caribbean blue and Cherry. The greens need to be either dark or light the mid greens look to custom car.

Avoid two tone cannot see it working with the shape of the car.

Take photo then photo shop it in the colour of your choice. Cheaper than the real thing and quicker.

My choice is dark solid blue and blue interior. Dark blue is easy to spray DIY and get smashing results without expensive equipment. All that is required is compressor regulator and gravity feed spray gun. Also dark blue can be done at one panel at a time without mismatch. I sprayed a Rover P6B S one panel at a time Cameron green it looked very nice after wards.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2016 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir

Very good point Bob makes - use photoshop to see what your car looks like with different colors. If you have not got a copy then download the free alternative - Gimp.

I used this technique to decide whether to fit whitewall tyres or not.

Geoff

Grand Master

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, 03 April, 2016 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all of you who have passed your views to me on this subject I return my thanks and gratitude. You all taught me something I did not know. I have always thought that different men have so much to learn from each other. This forum greatly increases RR/B knowledge for anybody with open ears. I am now thinking silver with deep red leather. I will never sell the car so originality is something I can abandon totally. The more I remove this cars brightwork and it woodwork the more I think Jaguar must have lost a shocking amount of money on each car but hushed that matter up.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Monday, 04 April, 2016 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I used to love silver until the color became (and remains - at least in the USA) one of the most overused automotive colors ever. You "become common" here just through the color use.

Silver was very popular, though, on one-off cars of the classic era. There was a traveling exhibit in 2010 ago called The Allure of the Automobile, that I saw at the High Museum in Atlanta and silver looked very good indeed on the shapes similar to your car. Video here and here. I'd love to have the Delage or Hispano-Suiza with the "Batmobile Back." Works of art on wheels!

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Monday, 04 April, 2016 - 12:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Beautiful cars. I remember as a child seeing a Type 50 Bugatti garaged in a nearby village called Lapworth. The type 57 in the video reminded me of it.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, 04 April, 2016 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny about colors and interiors: I dreaded the ash or light grey interior of my Mercedes-Benz, fearing it would look dirty and shabby ere long, but no it has performed very nicely. The carpet seems to hold up although it is light also. I do like the cream and tan or caramel colors with a medium darkish blue exterior. My '70 Shadow is Seychelles exterior with a tan interior, very tasteful.

Grand Master

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2016 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Top videos Brian. Much thanks. I think I will go for deep red leather with silver exterior. Must do a US road trip one day to see all the magnificent car museums.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2016 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Silver and deep red goes well and is very sellable.

Many deep reds try burgundy.

Silver. There are many silvers. Some slightly gold. Some like pewter. And the one I would go for a Silver with a blue that one cannot actually detect in any lighting conditions. Check out the BMW range of silvers.

I saw a 1995 Bentley saloon the other day and the roof and boot lid any centre bit of bonnet were in silver with a hint of gold, the rest was in the same green that HM Queen of UK. Bentley is. It just didn't look right. I think it would have looked better all green or all silver. Not keen on either colour. The green needs to be a lot darker.

It's easy when two toning a car to get it wrong, which is why if doing a two tone it's best to use RR colour combinations because I have seen a colour that when put with another the lighter colour of the two appears to change colour, it doesn't its like an optical illusion.

Custom paint jobs and custom car in general.
The owner of the paint job may think the colour looks good but would a buyer.

I remember a candy apple emerald green Mk.1 Cortina, the car was sold at the bottom price because it looked different. Also an insurance liability.