Put a sold sign on it - oh - maybe not Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Put a sold sign on it - oh - maybe not « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 14:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We're moving to Tulsa Oklahoma for a couple of years. I was looking at some pics of houses the Realtor has sent us and found this:

pit1

pit2

Wow - a garage pit - and a luxurious one at that, with carpets no less. Put a sold sign on the house I thought. Then I realized - it's a tornado shelter. Gulp.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 14:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow what a clever idea!!
A dual purpose safety item that the wife would approve of!!!!
Shame I cant use this trick with the wife - she would never believe that we may get tornados in Dubai.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 14:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar

Brilliant - lol

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All you need to add Geoff is 4 extra heavy duty tie down rings for the Rolls for when the tornado may arrive.
Seen some pretty good sand storms in Dubai Omar, so you may convince her

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did one better Patrick.
I waited for her to go on holiday last summer and then installed a 4 post 4 Ton lift next to the kitchen. She went bananas when she saw it. Did not talk to me for weeks!!! We are friends again now.
I love having a 4 post lift at home. Every grown man should get one.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A 2-post one would do for me.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I had a four post garage lift it would be magic no more stiff joints and sore backs everything well greased and spotlessly clean I don't like the idea of pits the ones I have seen usually smell and have all sorts of everything lying in them.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
How your still attached to what is clearly a very understanding & lovely lady is a mystery LOL
I need some lessons form you on how to get post approval for major tool and/or capital outlay.
Certainly cant get pre approval, that's for sure.
I suppose I could use what my old Eaton Truck Components boss once told me.
"it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pits are great. Many a mechanic has obtained a free cranium modification by falling into one. Another side benefit is a cuddly LPG gas explosion which is good for the kiddies. I understand that in the nanny state of Queensland it is now illegal to work in one and a work inspector will demand an immediate filling in.

Also apprentice mechanic is usually proficient in driving cars into rather than over them. Give me a two post hoist any day. Mind you I have further info that in some residential areas of the bastion of democracy USA its against the law to work on your own car at home. Neat - Its all proof to me that government policy often takes lessons directly from Basil Fawlty and Manuel which I suppose justifies the insane amount we pay loon politicians for stuffing up all they touch!!

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good points there Vlad.
I especially like the one about people working on their cars at home.
I have seen some gems of failures when it comes to pits.
We even used to tie apprentices up, gag them and drop them in the pit for a few hours.

Talking about illegally working on cars.
How is it that you can't change a power point at home unless you are qualified, but any dunce can change or at least attempt to change brakes on a car.
The non electrician may only kill himself.
The dunce may kill many with his now unstoppable missile.

We all know the Forrest Gump line "Stupid is--------------------

Sorry that's a bit off topic but Vlad reminded me of something I have always struggled with when it comes to the auto trade.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 652
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 23:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

permission will never be granted........
forgiveness will eventually come.......

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, 25 May, 2016 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I admire your courage
It reminds of the day (somewhere in the early 90's) when I sold the family Lancia and bought a secondhand Porsche without telling my wife.
Not my best moment either but eventually it blew over.

Grand Master

Post Number: 500
Posted on Wednesday, 25 May, 2016 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar is indeed right - a 4 poster 4 ton lifter outside the kitchen window where you can smile, wave and blow the occasion kiss to the wife is of course essential - but one must always proceed without permission and then sell it in terms such as "but I bought it with you in mind my dear because......."

The same method should be used for say the purchase of a 1965 Buick Riviera and other toys and indeed this develops ones creativity streak and all goes to show that we are thinking of them all the time - which they love and look forward to.

The pit pictured above would I believe be perfect when say you arrive home with something nasty like a Ferrari Testarossa and the good wife goes ballistic. Storing vast amounts of alcohol and other substances in the pit along with a small fridge and an esky for waste should be arranged along with a padlock on the inside. Make it a phone free area and simply disappear into the "husband protection area" Maintain radio silence using screw top beers. She won't know you are there especially if you have taken the sensible step of pulling one of your toys over the top of the pit.

Remain there for a week getting horrifically sloshed and high as a cosmonaut. Use the sensible measure of sobering up, then appear. "Oh I thought you had left me " "No my dear I have been walking out in the desert for a week asking the Universe why it is when buy something with you in mind you simply fail to understand me !!!!!"

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, 25 May, 2016 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
I like your words, but how long should one wait until the forgiveness comes?
Vlad,
I can just see you rigging an elaborate set of wires, ropes and pullies just like in Schindler's List with the trap door and carpet at the end of the bed.
As you said,
She wouldn't even know you are there.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 655
Posted on Thursday, 26 May, 2016 - 03:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You boys are such rogues.......
Just like me!!!
That trip we will have in 2017 is going to be a barrel of laughs......
I cant wait.......

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, 26 May, 2016 - 12:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its going to be a blast!

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, 27 May, 2016 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I must admit that I had much the same reception from my late wife when I turned up at home with a Caterham Seven on the back of a car transporter.

Things were very frosty for weeks before I finally folded and sold it on. I never got around to explaining to her that the footwell was so tight that I could cover all 3 pedals with one foot and that driving it would have been dangerous in the extreme!

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bugger!!!!
What did you replace it with Jan?

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 938
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was so long ago that I can't exactly recall. I had more than a few cars in that era.

Audi 100 Estate?
Nissan Maxima?
Ford XR4X4?
Vauxhall Omega Estate?
And not forgetting the Honda CB650.

The list goes on and on ...

Grand Master

Post Number: 515
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A woman in charge of automobile purchasing is like a duck without a beak. In Russia women drivers are known as monkeys with grenades regardless of how attractive they are.

They understand as much of our car knowledge and love of classic cars as we understand their heroin addiction type collecting of make up, clothes and shoes.The opening of the full wardrobe followed by a moaned "I have nothing to wear" partially explains their psychology but never be fooled for they are indeed a totally different species of extraterrestrial.

Cash and wheelbarrows full of it can calm them momentarily.

I have seen a woman driving a black Slll Cloud and another driving a gold Corniche. Both were smiling - how can that be?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I have seen a woman driving a black Slll Cloud and another driving a gold Corniche. Both were smiling - how can that be?"

Vladimir, the answer is simple - they got them in their divorce settlement!!!!!!

As far as the "nothing to wear" goes, there was a cartoon series a long time ago called Andy Capp who had a wife named Flo. Andy was a character in the true sense of the word. One memorable strip opened with Flo looking into her wardrobe saying the classic "I haven't a thing to wear" followed by Andy walking into a pawnbroker's shop carrying a big bundle of Flo's clothes over his arm saying "when a woman says she hasn't a thing to wear, she has too many clothes!"

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all , thought this was apt for this conversation

The Way Women Think...

Husband's Text Message to wife:

Darling, I got hit by a car outside the office.

Paula took me to the Hospital.

Doctors presently doing tests after taking X-rays.

Severe blow to my head but not likely to have any lasting effects.

Wound required 19 stitches.

I have three broken ribs and a compound fracture in the left leg.

Love you...

Wife's Response:

Who the F*** is Paula?

Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 04:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

loved it Mike.......
that just sums wives up for me.....

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, 29 May, 2016 - 15:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OMFG
We are all laughing out loud, but we know that's EXACTLY what would happen.
(Please don't let our wives see this lol)