Non-RR: Synthetic Dashboard "Stabili... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Non-RR: Synthetic Dashboard "Stabilizer" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 875
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2014 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know this isn't about a Rolls-Royce or Bentley, but many here have other cars and someone may have a suggestion/recommendation.

I have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon and, after 19 years, the top of the dashboard is beginning to degrade. This has been fairly sudden over the last year. The dash has no cracks, but the vast expanse that sits directly under the windshield and is subject to the most intense sun has developed a chalky surface an if you run your finger over it you pick up dust that's clearly from the dash material itself.

Has anyone used any sort of preservative that they feel halts the degradation and protects it from going further? I'm not interested in getting a "looks like new" result, but just stabilizing things where they are and keeping them this way for the most part. It would be nice if whatever might be used has a matte or at most satin gloss level. I hate things like ArmorAll (and the like) because of the massive amount of glare they create from reflected sun.

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2014 - 06:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Depending on colour I would use to satin black aerosol from body shop suppliers

Or flick over with color to suit

Purple fur for a misspent youth

Leopard skin for fun

I once took the stiff headlining out of a van and roller painted it with grey emulsion and didn't look half bad

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2014 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, my son had similar problems with a Morris 1100, and recovered the dash in leathercloth. difficult and time consuming.
Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2014 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Is the dash surface painted metal or vinyl?

If vinyl, I suggest you use a marine vinyl reviver which can be obtained from boat shops/ships chandlers. I used to use a 3M product which was very effective and brought back the original appearance whilst replacing the plasticiser that has evaporated due to heating by the sun. This plasticiser deposits itself on the inside surface of the windscreen glass and is responsible for the white "fogging" that builds up on the glass especially in summer.

The marine products are more expensive than Armorall but do a far better job of reviving and protecting vinyl surfaces exposed to the sun. A classic instance of "you get what you pay for" IMHO.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 876
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2014 - 15:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

It's definitely not painted metal, but nor is it vinyl in the "upholstery fabric" sense. It's some sort of injection-molded plastic thing that has a vinyl like surface.

I suspected that either marine or aviation supply might be a good place to check with. I also intend to check with our local auto paint folks just to see if they happen to know of anything.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2014 - 19:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian,

It will be the classic moulded stiff automotive plastic used for interior fittings that will "give" if impacted by a passenger during an accident to minimise injury. The plastic does contain a plasticiser which will evaporate over time making the moulding prone to brittle cracking from temperature changes as well as disolouring the surface due to degradation from heat and UV radiation from the sun. Regular use of the reviver is essential if you want to prevent future cracking of the trim due to solar embrittlement

I have had success with the marine vinyl reviver restoring the flexibility of the plastic and bringing most of the colour back. However, the reviver will not help fix cracked trim; you will find various plastic welding products at an auto parts store that claim to be "the answer to a maiden's prayer" but my experience with these has been less than satisfactory. If you want a high-quality repair, this is best left to a professional plastic trim repairer who will have the right products and, more importantly, the knowledge to do a virtually invisible repair.