Two really stupid purchases Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Two really stupid purchases « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes well the first is an old 7 inch electric sander which could be from the 1960s. After decades of heavy duty mechanical work I have pretty good strength in my arms and at 61 can still lift upright a 205 litre full oil drum to upright from lying down.

But this sander I paid $20 for sight unseen and not felt from a bus driving workmate is really heavy and I don't want to use it on any of my cars. Any 7 inch electric tool is a handful without having the weight of a bloody anvil.

2. An old Pioneer Stereo. Bought this over the internet. Huge speakers. Bought sight unseen for $500 plus almost $280 to get it delivered. Advertised as "In good working order". It has a turntable, no cd and definitely no USB input.

The first thing I noticed when the cloth cover popped off the front on it was the large speakers had disintergrated and need to be rebuilt.

Now the woman who sold it to me over the net could have been honest unless she is blind about the speakers being buggered but she was not. Again my faith in human nature gets another wake up call. Some people are just born greedy I guess. But the thing should crank out a good note when I get the speakers redone - hopefully.

One of the workshop musicians who was professional for many years has told me stereo purchase these days is a waste of time - just get hold of a good PA system instead. I think he may be right.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Watson
Frequent User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vlad,
I have had mostly good luck with buying items through the mail. However there are the times where it did not work out. Most recent was the pocket trumpet I purchased, lets just say it will be doing duty as a lamp......
The degradation of the cone edges on older speakers is pretty much the norm, I had a set of huge BSR speakers and a sub woofer that looked like a coffee table that suffered this. I gave them to a fellow who said he could get replacements for the cones, perhaps you can do the same.
Cheers