Music scales Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Music scales « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, 16 June, 2015 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At first sight the music scales seem complex.
Here is a way to understand whats happening.

Bach worked it all out for us. He adjusted pitches so they all fit together.

I shall use C major to explain.

C D E F G A B C

The major chord of C major is C E G. The 1st 3rd and 5th notes of the scale.

F major is F A C
G major is G B D

If I play these 3 chords I will have played every note in C major scale.

C F and G is a famous 3 chord trick, the relationship makes the combination sound right.

There are 12 major scales and 12 minor scales each scale has chords that cover all the notes in that scale.

That's why Bach was a genius.

Fortunately us guitar players have a fret board which makes playing in any key relatively easy.
Pianos are easy to play in C major or A minor because its all white notes and no black notes.
For this reason often piano music is written in C major or A minor.

Chuck Berry often used C major key because of his pianist.

I use a kids toy organ to listen to notes. I normally only use white keys. If I am in C major the tune will start at C. If in A minor I start with A.
Once I have worked out what notes to use I then can play it in any key on guitar.

All major chords have a matching minor chord.

Before Bach invented the "well tempered scale" none of the above was possible.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 816
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I play scales on my guitars it usually goes "D'oh!, ray, moo, fart - oh feck it"!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan, serves you right for going to Mrs Brown's music lessons .

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Feck it is the 5th note. Brother Jack is the first 5 notes of the scale.

It goes D'oh ray moo, D'oh ray moo, moo fart fect it, moo fart feck it.

We should publish it. Its better than some of the stuff I hear on Radio one.

Most of it doesn't seem actually have a tune, and I can't understand the words.

I wish I had taken piano lessons athough I said a piano is limited as to dynamics in comparision. A friend plays boogie woogie and the piano seems to come alive and somehow it sounds different. His left hand is very strong and he can really hammer the key board. Also he uses the damper pedal to empathise the rhythm.

When I try it sounds ok but no sparkle.

A famous pianist was asked how he got so good and he said start at 5 years old and practice 4 hours every day.

My circumstances at the moment allows me plenty of guitar messing around. I dont really practice scales I tend to just play what ever comes into my head. Bits of tunes. Playing Ode to Joy backwards. I always tune up though.
Much more fun if the notes are in tune. Also it jogs my ear holes memory for intervals.

I often visit you tube and the standard of the amateur guitarists is very high. The really seriously hard bit is writing it. Once Eric Clapton has written it and played it then there are many amateur guitarists who will play it just as well. Erics done the hard bit for them.

Check out a guy called Tommy Emanual and Eric Calderone on you tube. Tommy is a percussive guitarist and Eric is a very fluid metal guitarist. He shreds without losing note definition.

Shredding is playing fills very very fast.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2015 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tommy Emanual - one of ours and well worth the experience of seeing his concerts. Fortunately, he likes travelling and does frequent overseas tours.

Bob, you are not too far from Pilton and the Glastonbury Festival - Tommy Emanual is performing there on the 27th June in case you were not aware.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2015/?stage#acousticstage

Regards David

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, 19 June, 2015 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I didn't know Tommy was from OZ or that he's at Glastonbury.