Vladimir's Photos from near and far Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Vladimir's Photos from near and far « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Friday, 27 May, 2016 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are the photos Vladimir provided to give you an idea of his cars and their surroundings plus some from elsewhere in the world:

}

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 02:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir great photos great place to live and good luck with your new Job Looking forward to a photo of Puss Nasty.

Richard.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 511
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David herewith are the captions
1.1976 Cadillac Fleetwood next to Jaguar 1970 420G - Front view

2. 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood and 1970 420G Jaguar - Rear view Both Cadillac and Jaguar took a whopping great leap towards flimsier builds after these two models. Petrol tank out of Cadillac to replace deteriorated rubber joiner between in tank pump and outlet pipe.Being stranded on Great Dividing Range with deep culverts making pulling off the road impossible
was truly not nice. Its unfortunately fuel injected.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great set of images guys.
Good to see them.
Love the Caddy Vlad.

Grand Master

Post Number: 512
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

3.1977 Camargue,aforesaid Cadillac and Jaguar.

4,5 and 6.Removing a Camargue's engine. Foolishly over the good Lady and perhaps unaffordable and irreplaceable grill but the Toad convinced me it was the right thing to do as he swung merrily off the neck of a vodka bottle. Never again. Grills are easy to remove any that avoids crying and moaning into your drink should the hydraulic lifter ram blow or the webbing breaks.

7.The truly evil Mount Coolon Cowsmashing 1990 Ford
Falcon Panel Van Its 250 6 inline carby engine cannot be destroyed.It is indeed a mad max type of vehicle. I carry well over a quarter of a ton of tool boxes and tools on the top.One day I will ship it to Vladivostok and blast it through Siberia to London. I once had a copper's daughter 30 years my junior living in the back of it but in the outback one has to put up with such capers. I can rip this car well over 100 mph. When people are cruel to me about its appearance I tell them that my other car is a Rolls Royce and they look at me strangely.

Grand Master

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 05:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

8 to 13 inclusive. JRH 23682.Camargue. 1976-77 Some mysterious characters in HongKong, London,Arizona, Nebraska and New York have owned this car. Thank goodness Toad, PussNasty and I are now its custodians after the previous stream of riff-raff.

Grand Master

Post Number: 514
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

14. How Russian billionaires park their RR/B after a good nudge of the bottle.

15. Clouds and Snow should not be mixed.

16 and 17. Communism meets Capitalism - on
Russian footpath/sidewalk all predicted by Karl Marx as you all know. Damn terrible loss of a Lada Niva what what.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 658
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2016 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
Love the MKX and the Caddy too.
Swap ya my Carbie Caddy for your Fuellie one.
I have stupidly gone and added yet another Cadillac to my collection.......

Glad you mentioned the grill..... My words would have been - Whats going on Vlad? are you playing Russian Roulette with that grill or what? And the I remembered you are Russian.....

When we get together with the boys The vodkas will be on me.

Omar

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2016 - 00:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a 420G back in the mid 70's. Even by then it was a total rust bucket that had to be scrapped as not worth the effort/cost of repairing.

It was even worse than the XJ12 I owned a few years later where the Jag engine had been replaced with a 3.3 litre normally aspirated diesel lump out of a heavy duty forklift. And that bugger was dangerous!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad the Camargue wow, the Pininfarina styled body will have a sought after factor for the comming years. IMO prices will rocket on this more than other RRs of that period.
Pour any surplus loot to getting it up and running.The bodywork looks solid.
Better than money in the bank.
The Mkx looks sound in the body, will take plenty of mods if needed.

The last Yank that I owned for a short time was a 1959 Buick Le Sabre from memmory.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir

I agree with Patrick. Spend your time and money getting your Camargue back to top condition. On rarity value alone it is guaranteed money in the bank.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Patrick - of all the cars.... I have a 60 LeSabre!! we must have similar taste in cars.
Omar

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar you are probably right, here is a picture of the rear end, what stile they were with floating comfort.

This is one is a rather wide motor of sorts unused in the rear of one of the buildings with other motors!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

That is a fabulous replica. Have you any details about it?

Geoff

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff it is a Mercedes Benz 500k Roadster Convertible, Replica by Heritage Legacy, built in the States, nice V8 engine but a wide car for the UK roads.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I realized it was a 500K - one of the most beautiful cars ever built, but was wondering what the name of the builder was. Just checked out Heritage Legacy on youtube. Thanks for the details.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 12:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I'll be the person pooh-poohing on the Camargue. This particular car has never been all that popular within the Rolls-Royce collector community (it's a complete love-hate kind of item) and is regularly ridiculed outside the RR world.

I have never been able to warm to the Camargue styling (though even I will admit that in white the rear 3/4 view on Vladimir's car is attractive) and neither has "the world" by all indications.

Rarity is not a reliable indicator of value at all. Were that the case some of the "less aesthetically pleasing" one-off or several-off cars (think the Frua Phantom) would be worth astronomical amounts of money. As it stands, they tend to remain unsold at any price because they just don't have that je ne sais quoi that makes them beloved, and, thus, in demand at any price.

The Camargue has been "the orphan child" for a very long time now and I see no reason to believe that will change. It has to do with the body design, which most do not love an there's been plenty of "grow on them" time, but it hasn't.

Chacun à son goût has real ramifications with regard to valuation.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

I was basing my comments on the prices listed in Practical Classics magazine, a UK publication.

The prices shown below are in GB pounds, for cars in the UK market and for year 2015. The last four columns indicate concours and condition A B and C. The column C price is for project cars.

prices

I know this is just a rough guide. The SY1 and SY2 are grouped together whereas the SY2 should be valued higher. Also, I think 1500 - 1750 for spare or repair cars is now too low. However it is interesting that they value a Camargue higher than a Corniche (fhc).

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 12:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I was actually reacting to Patrick Lockyer's observation, "prices will rocket on this more than other RRs of that period."

He's not the first person to make this conjecture and it just doesn't seem to come to fruition. I think the number of, "I adore the Camargue," people is, and will remain, relatively small, and that affects the potential for significant appreciation.

I could be entirely wrong, but I'm still OK with being the contrarian on this.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 16:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
all it take is for 1000 people to fall in total love with the Camargue and already supply will fall short of demand. Prices then will sky rocket.
Take care
Omar

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm coming into this as a neutral, okay? Only 1000 people? I think that was exactly Brian's point. Let's see...there's Vladimir, there's maybe Omar, and there's...hmmm...would the other 998 please stand up? LOL! Vladimir...don't shoot me! I'm just saying...

Grand Master

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah yes the black rat is in the dark tunnel laughing as he looks at his new stolen gold tooth !

A Camargue is not rare or even very rare, a Camargue is super rare. Of the 531 made only 186 or thereabouts were right hand drive like mine.

Now halve that figure to take into account crashes rust and alien abductions. I figure there are now only 50 Right Hand Drive Camargues in existence. Now only 50 people on the entire planet can own one. Lets take away the figure 15 for those undergoing repairs/paint panel/wife hates it won't go in it and the fact that some owners may be insane and keeping company with a straight jacket and others are doing time for biting the heads off of their pets in public.

35 - yes indeedy. On the entire planet only thirty five of us can ever drive down the road in a Camargue.

That's the difference between a Shadow and a Camargue. Drive a Shadow in any big town and city and there is a rare chance you might meet a fellow traveller at the lights or glimpse one on a distant curb coming the other way. But drive a Camargue and you know you are King Billy and nobody but nobody is going to is going to turn up and copy your act.

Its a car for an eccentric egotist like me and Mr.Toad. Its not a car for your regular run of the mill Shadow worshipper.

Rarity does have an effect I think on value most definitely.

Plus you have the insane pedigree that you are driving a car that was once the most expensive car in the world. A shadow, as pretty as they are simply do not have that type of mystique.

For me its value now or in the future is pretty irrelevant as I have zero intention of selling it during my lifetime so its never going to replace the very low coin I paid for it in New York. It is quite simply a financial black hole in my financial situation. Thank our creator, the Pink dotted five legged Jabberwocky on the planet Zoodamn for the most gracious fact that it is really a Shadow in a PininFarina Italian designed body with mind blowing interior.

As I have said before, the front is er er well different and I think if the front headlights were recessed it would have a more attractive face. The front is brutal and I think that was done on purpose - as a statement ie I am that rich I can buy the world's most expensive car do get out of my friggin way you peasant.

I think the front of the car and perhaps the entire car to the lesser extent can only be described as "polarising". I was watching Jay Leno on the net explaining about the Lamborghini Espada, which he said people either love it or hate it. He used the word "polarising" so I am of course plagiarising his adjective.

Personally when I was a sub penniless apprentice mechanic I saw and worked on a Lamborghini Espada. I could and cannot even now work out why some people would say an Espada was ugly. That is beyond my understanding apart from my knowledge that the human species has different view on different things. Some people like or rather love pug dogs and some people would like them wiped from the planet.

But I agree with the dealers in London that Camargue are going to rise rapidly in value very fast very soon - and this is not to my liking because its essential that I have another so I can have a black one to match white JRH23682 one.

Its simply an ego thing of mine which is of course totally incurable.

But there is more yes indeedy jet setters, even if one has the money for a Camargue and I have never seen one under $90,000 in Australia, you then have to find one and that is not easy for the common Joe. At the moment there are about 6 in the UK on the market, 2 in Europe and zero in the USA. WHAT THE F.... ?!!!!

How can that be?

What is it with the USA. First the Jaguar Mark 10/420G disappears enmasse in America and then the Camargues which was the biggest market. Well I guess the northern snow/salt caper took its toll. Then your have the wrecks and wild Hunter S Thompson drug crazed rich running amok...But there should be more.

Thankfully - I think I have the answer. They are being kept - hogged - hidden by owners that simply can't part with them.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Sunday, 12 June, 2016 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And those owners who are hogging them and hiding them are a part of the niche market that adores them.

It's still a niche market.

The Camargue will always have a value above the standard Shadow and derivatives because of its rarity. It's the predictions of stratospheric increases in valuation that I just do not believe will happen.

BTW, although I've never warmed to the styling of the Camargue I don't fall into the "vehement hater" crowd by a long shot. For me the reaction is, "Meh. Ungainly Box."

Brian

Grand Master

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, 13 June, 2016 - 14:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Brian I was wrong - there are in fact 11 Camargues for sale in Europe - at least all way under the $295,000 for a spiffer here.

Brian this is your chance to rise above the mundane Shadow mold and set yourself apart at the next club meet and hot young ladies will know that you are good fellow especially when your drop the words " private jet " into the chat up.

Predictions on the rise of classic cars even pig dog ugly ones are always susceptible to great failures but some times they are right. About four years ago there was international yap that Ferrari Testarossas from 1986 would increase in value. They did. I have observed an increase of $100,000 in four years.

How horrible is that Brian ? Four years ago even dealers from LA to Florida were struggling to move them for $40,000 !!

Some people say these Ferraris were too wide blah blah and then they tripled in price.

Classic cars - who really knows - in this time people buy new cars that look like insects - really butt ugly stuff so ugliness may be the new way to go!!