BMC A60 Farina Estate. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » BMC A60 Farina Estate. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, 27 June, 2015 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Local to me is a Farina A60 collector. I was picking his brains about the best version. He said that the automatic is better on petrol. I checked and its true. He said that the A60 was the first british car to be fitted with the borg warner 35 autobox and the engineers spent time to make sure the ratios etc were the best they could be.
25mpg manual and 29mpg automatic.

He fancies the Jeep as a tow car. And I like the A60 Automatic estate. He said he will see what around and maybe do a deal.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, 01 July, 2015 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IIRC my auto Ford Corsair had the same box, but bolted to the 1.6 litre engine. My manual version (had both a the same time) was the 2.0 litre, so direct mileage comparisons weren't available. On the whole the auto was much more relaxed on the road, which is why I opt for autos these days.

Out of my current fleet of 3 cars, 2 mopeds and a scooter only one of the cars has a manual gearbox.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, 02 July, 2015 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ford Corsair. Haven't seen one in years.
One of these in a state would do.

3 engines 1500cc 4 in line 1760cc V4 and 2000cc V4. Savage motors ltd did a 3000cc V6.

I went out in an A60 and the driver was puffing a bit on steering when parking.

We forget that old cars had heavy steering.

Dick Campbell
New User
Username: dick_campbell

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An A60 with an MGB engine fitted would be interesting. I guess that the MG discs would fit too.

I have a TR3a and have always been tempted by an early Vanguard and then fit it with a TR engine and gearbox.....just another project to add to the list.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 840
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's a funny thing, Dick. Many Standards and TR's used a lot of the same components - including engines. Different carbs and camshafts made the all the difference to the power outputs.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Dick, Welcome aboard. Trust all is well in Licolnshire. Pity about rr&bew site.
Mark

Dick Campbell
New User
Username: dick_campbell

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark, Glad to see you on here.....should we attempt another meet up this year?

Yes Jan, Most volume car makers used uprated saloon parts in their sports versions.
Jaguar saloons into E Types and XKs, Vangaurds and TRs, BMC A, B and C series in Sprites, MGBs and Healeys. Roots Minx engines ended up in Alpines and even the Daimler Dart was a parts bin car with its Daimler V8 in essentially a TR rolling chassis.
I knew a chap long ago who ordered an Austin A35 from the factory with a Sprite engine and uprated suspension...I bet it dissolved in the rain long ago.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, 11 July, 2015 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 1622cc B series is a good engine. The MGB 1800 is not as revy.

The 3 litre Ford V6 Essex fits.

I like the TR6. The 6 pot engine is turbine smooth. Best set up is 3 side draught twin choke webers. The crank thrust bearings could give problems. Keep foot off clutch or autobox.
£10k buys a properly nice TR6 in the UK.

I hate the look of the cod fish Daimler Dart. The Dart also drove like a 1930s sports car and not in a good way. The V8 2.5 litre was designed by Edward Turner who designed the Truimph Speed Twin. Its an ok engine but not particularly powerful. 130bhp.
The Sunbeam Tiger Alpine sports car is often overlooked. 4.2 Ford V8 250bhp.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 947
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2015 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hum A60 farina estate, I have a Morris Oxford estate 1965 only one made to order for a transport contractor with a 1.5 diesel engine fitted from new.
Slow to get going with smoke but ok once up to 50mph+

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2015 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We forget that old cars had heavy steering.

not all cars, Gerald Palmer designed the magnet with a rack before the Farina and the advanced Jupiter before that.
Cannot understand why the step backwards with the fitting of the steering box to the A55 A60 etc with no power steering.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2015 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It can't have been much of a backward step since Rolls Royce were still fitting steering boxes up until 1976. My US Spec Dodge Ram is a '92 build and has a steering box (or 'gear' as they call it).

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.97.26.213
Posted on Tuesday, 14 July, 2015 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert

Quote:- “I checked and its true. He said that the A60 was the first british car to be fitted with the borg warner 35 autobox and the engineers spent time to make sure the ratios etc were the best they could be…….”

I wonder if your friend realises the A60 suspension, springs and shock absorber settings, to name a few, were calculated, set up and fitted by R-R at Crewe under their technical agreement?

Notice how an A60 Farina saloon and estate handles differently to its very similar A55 Farina sibling.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, 16 July, 2015 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

About the time the A60 was introduced RR and BMC were mucking about with Austin Westminster saloons with a view to making a Baby Bentley. It failed and became the Princess 4 litre R.

So setting up the A60 suspension would nicely fit in with the above.

I had a 1955 MG ZA Magnette. The steering was nice but still heavy parking. It was under geared so I fitted a diff from a Riley 1.5. Good car.

The problem with steering boxes is that the amount of ball joints required for independent front suspension. When steering boxes are used on front beam axles then they work well. Only 4 ball joints. A rack also has only 4 ball joints.