Is Crewe really ugly? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Is Crewe really ugly? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 11:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An English friend of mine has told me Crewe is an ugly depressing place. Is this true ?

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2015 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Probably. Crewe has over the years lost a lot of industry.

Crewe is on the wrong side of the North South divide.

House prices are a 1/3 of prices in Dorset. Anyways a good indication of whats going on.

But the surrounding area of Crewe is nice but best if one retired, no jobs.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3218
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2015 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not ugly at all and the town is very pleasant indeed. I had an office in Crewe just over the fence from Bentley not so long ago. The people of Crewe are proud of their very fine town. Visit the Pete Waterman railway museum while you are there. You will even see an early Bentley Turbo R motor on display there. His favoured apprentice Kylie Minogue would be proud.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3219
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2015 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To explain, Crewe is a railway town steeped in railway heritage. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars was a relatively late entrant to the outskirts of the town having moved from Derby. The luxurious Bentley factory is now at that same place on Pym’s Lane.

The first ever tilting trains were made in Crewe and Derby by British Rail Engineering Limited (BREL), later part of ABB Verkehrssysteme, Adtranz, Daimler-Benz and now Bombardier all of whom I worked for.

Having lived in Crewe and in Derby I can assure any visitor that it will be a very pleasant experience.

RT.

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, 08 June, 2015 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I envy you Richard I always wanted to work on the railways. I once worked at Plasser and Therrier cant remember the spelling. They had a workshop at Ealing london W5 on the great western line to bristol.
I help build a machine that swept ballast after track laying. Unfortunately once I and others had assembled the machine we all got let go. Still the money was good while it lasted. I actually got to drive the machine 10 yards. The machine didn't quite work as intended and was eventually scrapped. The brush used to wear very fast. We found bits of brush stuck under Rails not good.

In Bournemouth we have a small depot which does light day to day maintenance. All the big stuff goes to Eastleigh near Southampton.

Working there ( Ealing ) was good my boss was a very likable German guy. I got married while working there and he paid my wages for that day as a wedding present even though I was a temp.

I love travelling by Rail except that UK fares are silly expensive. There are some bargins to be had. Except sometimes the offer is one way only and the return journey is expensive. How devious.

Also not to far is Swanage steam railway which has a mainline connection. I can get an open top bus via The chain ferry and Studland bay to Swanage station using my free bus pass. It makes for a nice day out. The fish and chips in swanage are excellent. Entry to the station is free. So also cheap day out. Just dont miss the last bus. I can get my scooter on the bus. I normally go with mates they grab a bit each. And anybody who wishes a alcohol drink can do so with out the fear of drunken driving. Also no parking worries.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 806
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 01:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On the whole, Crewe is more famous (infamous?) for the need to change trains there when traveling from almost anywhere in the region to almost anywhere else. Few know about its relationship to railway or automotive engineering at its finest.