New member Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » New member « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Deasy
Yet to post message
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I have just joined & have enjoyed reading all the posts on this section
I am on my second car now,the first was a B 8 1984 (09697)
I changed for an 1984 Spirit .Both are LPG.i put up 25,000 in a year on the eight.I did a diff change from a 3.08 to a 2.25 with the advice & EXTREME help from Richard Tracey.,this made it a beautiful car to drive,I did 100+ miles a day most of it on motorways & at 70/80 mph,it was great at 2200 to 2500 rpm and on LPG 14/15 mpg = to 28 to 30 at petrol prices.It was as cheap as a mini to run,in Ireland all classics have an annual road tax of 56€ + classic Insurance 190€
Kevin Deasy

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 898
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new acquisition.

Richard is a great fountain of knowledge, and is always happy to help anyone here.
He has helped countless people, and is a good man.

Any chance of a couple of pics of your cars mate?

Again,
Welcome.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 09:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to the forum Kevin.

Could you give us some brief details on how you converted your diff from 3.08 to 2.25. I have a 1974 Silver Shadow and have often thought it would benefit from a lower diff ratio or an overdrive. I'm just interested in how you converted your B.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,

I guess since the hoi polloi (and I count myself and Geoff at least among that group) from here is over on rollsroyceforums.com that the riff-raff from there is finding its way here. I blame myself for cross-pollinating in both venues and apologize to the respective memberships.

Welcome!

Brian

Kevin Deasy
New User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick ,I did try and put a couple up but they had a size issue,but I will fix it.
Geoff
It was not that hard,I got a 2.28 from a turbo R which went in easily,the biggest issue was I had to get the drive shaft cut and the end coupling welded on & shaft balanced,
If I were to do it again I would fit a 2.69 as I believe it is a straight fit.Iwont do it to the Spirit as I am semi retired & will only be doing 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year now ( it is my daily driver.If you want to do it I will get all the figures & details for you.
Brian it is not your fault I ended up here,I started here as a guest,this is where I found R.T.when I bought my Eighe & wanted to change the diff. I just did not have a lot of time as I was a a couple of businesses up to June (semi retired now ) I only do a couple of hours a week.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your reply. At this stage I just have an academic interest in this project. I was curious if you modified your existing diff or fitted an entire new unit - you have answered that question.

Geoff

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 682
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin Welcome!!! I come from the North of our Island great to have you on the Forum.

Richard.