RREC Round Britain Tour 2017 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Non-RROCA News and Events » RREC Round Britain Tour 2017 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J Eve
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 06 June, 2017 - 01:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,
Your scribe on wheels has returned after a few years absence to be on the spot for the Round Britain Tour 2017 organized by Andy Courtney, Silver Ghost Registrar for the RREC, which commences tomorrow.

'Why?' you may ask. A little history first; 110 years ago, Silver Ghost AX201, chassis no 60551 established a new world record by running without involuntary stops for 14,371 miles mainly back and forth between London and Glasgow.This was almost twice as far as the previous record. The route also included the Scottish Reliability Trials where AX201 won the Gold Medal.

Apart from celebrating this huge achievement, 60 years ago in August 1957, a few enthusiasts decided to form the RREC.

So what better way to celebrate the Club's Diamond Anniversary and AX201 than by driving on the 18-day Round Britain tour across England Wales and Scotland? Silver Ghosts will be well represented plus other RR and Bentley models from the RREC membership. As I write, the 20-Ghost Club is touring in Spain and Portugal which may have lured some Silver Ghosts abroad for continental climes and culture.

There will be a sprinkling of overseas participants and I will tell you more when we all gather tomorrow evening for the opening Reception and to pick up route notes and maps. This will be no reliability trial nor race, instead a leisurely Tour where we can choose our day's routes so long as we are in for dinner at 7.30pm.

Meanwhile overseas vehicles are being collected from ship forwarders and cars checked for unusual engine vibrations and slow punctures after their time in containers on the high seas.

Now off to do some packing and checking road directions. See you tomorrow.

Jeanne Eve

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2569
Posted on Tuesday, 06 June, 2017 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome back after a long absence - too long in my humble opinion .

I and certain other long-time members who remember your past reports from international club events await your future reports with great anticipation.

I note you are posting as a guest and not under your past user name so I assume you have forgotten your password. You can reactivate your original user name as follows:

You reset your password yourself by following the procedure below:

1. Open the following link:

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl

2. Go to UTILITIES in the menu on the LHS of the page and click on EDIT PROFILE - a page headed PROFILE EDITOR will open.

3. Enter your user name in the "User Name" box [Jeanne Eve] and then go to bottom of log-in box and click on "Click here to restore access".

A reset link should be sent from the forum to your email address as registered on the forum and just follow the instructions - you will need a new password as the old one cannot be recycled.

Please let me know if you need additional help.

Kind Regards
David

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User
Username: jeve

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, 09 June, 2017 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Morning everyone from sunny Devon.

Good to see sunshine again after a couple of grey damp days commencing from Brooklands historic race circuit and Museum then motoring from Surrey south along the Jurassic Coast of Devon and across the Downs.

This tour is interesting as it is a mix of Silver Ghosts and modern vehicles with around 50 vehicles in total. Originally designed by the Silver Ghost register of RREC, not enough entrants had applied by the time all the hotels wanted their deposits. As already mentioned there was a clash with dates with a 20-Ghost Club tour and a hiccup in publicising the tour within the SGA organisation. Consequently the organiser opened the event to all RR and Bentley models within RREC membership resulting in more financial and personnel support from RREC. Winners all round and it's a joy to see Club cars from 1907 - 2015. A living museum on wheels.

The Chairman of RREC, Johan Vanden Bergh welcomed us and HRH Michael of Kent was also present on Day 1 and inspected cars at Brooklands. The veteran Ghosts drove up challenging Test Hill to much applause. Wonderful cars and great way to start the Tour.

Navigators have to work hard because this Tour is remarkably relaxed with the only direction being dinner at 7.30 at the designated hotel. So route planning and places of interest are discussed the evening prior.The British Isles has history around every corner along its small country roads and some are very narrow indeed.

Once out of London suburbs, the roads became less like spaghetti and yesterday was true touring with each crew deciding where to visit. For us it was the 600 year old Swannery in Dorset begun by monks for feasting which is near Chesil Beach then mussels and prawns in the village of Lyme Regis where the film 'The French Lieutenant's Woman' was made. Further along we crossed by ferry over to historic Dartmouth where we had afternoon tea in a 1600's 'Sloping Deck' restaurant in the Butterwalk. History everywhere.

The Silver Ghosts have been parked in great honour in front of our hotel and being a rest day there is maintenance and chatter in the car park below my window. So far as I know all vehicles are proceeding well.

Most participants are from UK with huge array of accents but a sprinkling from Australia, a couple from NZ, Belgium and Germany and several from USA. I'll give you a breakdown of vehicles later although there have been some changes since the Tour booklet was printed.

That's all for now and I'll try and post photos soon. Cheers, Jeanne

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, 11 June, 2017 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone from damp Wales,
We believed blue skies existed yesterday on our rest day as some relaxed and others explored South Devon. But today the clouds rolled back in as we crossed Devon and headed north west to Wales. The barren landcape of Dartmoor was bleak in the heavy mist as shaggy sheep and wild ponies grazed on the roadside and the 1000 year old Buckfastleigh Abbey was imposing indeed.

Distances and accommodation have been organized to be around 130-150 miles per day but that is still a big ask, especially for the Silver Ghosts and pre - war cars. Country roads are either narrow or motorways too fast so the ideal routes are on the A roads. Sat-navs have a tendency for short cuts on B+four digit (e.g. B2037) cart ways with grass growing in the centre of the road. They are barely wide enough for a Bentley GT but does make for exciting driving when an approaching car appears around the corner. Your scribe is in the youngest car on this tour with our Silver Ghost back in Oz.

This may not be correct as participants have dropped out and in, since publication but an analysis of the participating vehicles reveal that there are 15 Silver Ghosts of which 8 are Edwardian. There are two Phantom 1, a P11, two 20/25, two Mark VI,one Silver Dawn, two Silver Clouds, two Silver Shadows and five Corniches. With the Bentleys there are two -Bentley GT, a Brooklands, S2 and Mulsanne. There are also a handful of Ghost and Phantoms here too. I do think the Company could have come up with new model names instead of recycling them.

Countries represented by RREC membership are UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Botswana, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Channel Islands and Denmark. A fine collection.

Any tour organizer knows full well the logistics for accommodation and adequate car parking. There must be around 100 of us all staying under the one roof each night. Andy Courtney, affable Fearless leader mentioned he's had to book a 1000 rooms and 2000 meals for this Tour.

I'll try and minimize my photos and post them.
Hwyl fawr, Jeanne

David Gore

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Sunday, 11 June, 2017 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeanne,

Is it possible for you to create a Google Drive folder and upload your photos direct so I can resize them and post them in the forum on your behalf.

You can email me the individual links or better still set up access for me to the folder.

This should free up extra time for greater participation in the event activities.....

Wales is my maternal grandparents ancestral home and I love the Welsh people and their manner of speech.

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, 12 June, 2017 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello from North Wales,
Easy country drive today along valleys and hillsides, past shaggy sheep and lots of cyclists out on their sunday morning.

Fun driving on the test hill near Llanymawddwy to the highest pass in north Wales;Bwlch y Groes, overlooking Cwm Cynllwyd and onto the Aran Mountains. Essentially a one car lane with important R-R connection to Derby. For this was the test hill with varying inclines and bends where Sir Henry Royce tested all his 3-speed Silver Ghosts so he could guarantee that they would proceed up any English hill.
Jeanne

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, 12 June, 2017 - 03:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Thanks for offer re photos.
Will certainly see what I can do to give you access to them. Unfortunately I had to buy a new baby laptop after my favourite one was imprisoned in the hold of my Middle Eastern airline to London and never worked since. So am unfamiliar with Windows 10 as well.

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2017 - 02:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A night of Medieval banqueting and merriment complete with us costumed as kings, princes, ladies, knights, Merlin the magician, bishops and monks at Ruthin Castle in north Wales kept our spirits high because the next day we faced Liverpool, Blackpool, Lancaster and onwards to serene Lakes District.

When I travel, relevant pop singlines buzz e.g. 'Ferry 'cross the Mersey' by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Blackpool was suitably tacky along its Promenade magic mile, Morecambe Bay was whipped into brown wavelets by a bitter wind off the Irish Sea but Cumbrian hills beckoned on the horizon.

Past pretty Windemere and over Kirkstone Pass with its winding narrow road and oncoming sheep flock, we descended into beautiful Glendinning , Ullswater. This area was flooded in 2015/6 and still roadworks and bridges are being re constructed.

Just up the road, poet William Wordsworth wrote his poem, "I wandered lonely as a cloud,That floats on high o'er vales and hills, When all at once I saw a crowd, A host of golden daffodils; Beside the lake, beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing in the breeze."

We can view the lake from our hotel window where we have relaxed for two welcomed restdays. The Midlands Sector of the RREC have joined us and organized a visit to historic home, ride on the 'steamer' boats and exploring local tiny villages. All the Silver Ghosts have been oiled and maintained with only a couple of electrical generator problems requiring an auto electrician. Otherwise everyone is proceeding well. Onwards to Scotland to follow part of the route travelled by AX201.

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2017 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David; any chance you could email me your own email so I can forward Google Drive of photos, for you to resize and post? At moment have had no response when I emailed you via Utilities, Contact.
Thanks, Jeanne

David Gore

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2017 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeanne,

My email is drh14434[AT]yahoo.com.au [just delete brackets and AT and replace with @].

This address will accept up to 25Mb of attachments in one message otherwise use multiple messages if you have lots of photos.

The best solution is to dedicate a Google Drive folder to RROC[Aust] events, set up access for me and email the access password. I can download the images and resize/label the images for the forum [if you can tag each image with a descriptive label or email the labels to me separately would be a great help].

Keep having a great time - I only wish I could have made the forthcoming forum get-together in the UK but it wasn't meant to be .

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2017 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David.

Have forwarded you a link to my Google Drive.

Just post on the forum the few photos you think relevant and work best. I'll forward to you in batches. Up to date so far.

Arrived in drizzle at Loch Lomond this afternoon.

Will write more later.
Jeanne

Have downloaded the photos and will edit them for posting on the forum tonight when I have more time.

David Gore

Post Number: 2577
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2017 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are the first batch of Jeanne's photos with relevant details:

Rally Plaque

Ghosts in a row at Oatlands Park Hotel Wareham

Brooklands Tour start

Following a grand lady, Dorset

All in a row, Devon

R-R test hill for all 3 speed Silver Ghosts North Wales

Bwylch y Groes, pilgrim's route, Dyfi valley below, highest in N Wales. Aran Mts beyond

Ruthin Castle North Wales

Hutton in the Forest Cumbria - historic home of the Inglewood family since 1605

Non-Ghosts in Cumbria

Silver Ghosts on their way to Scotland

SG

David Gore

Post Number: 2579
Posted on Sunday, 18 June, 2017 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Latest submission from the Scottish section of the Tour - looks like the weather is not being kind to the participants with "liquid sunshine" making its presence felt:

Waiting at start for Rest and be Thankful Pass

B07

Up the Pass

B08

Up they come

B09

Waiting at top of pass before hitting route again

B10

Typical loch countryside

B01

Local dancing

B02

Enacting An Address to the Haggis

Modern cars at Athol Palace Hotel - Pitlochry

B06

More cars parked at Athol Palace Hotel - Pitlochry

B04

Sydney Ghost arrives. Other Ghosts in background

B05

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, 20 June, 2017 - 03:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,
Now well refreshed after a rest day in Leith, a former busy port on the banks of the Firth of Forth. Our funky hotel is Malmaison--once a popular brothel. Summer is approaching at long last and we could all play at being tourists. For us it was a fascinating visit to Edinburgh Castle, a city guided bus tour then a visit to the Royal Yacht Britannia exhibition where I found the Phantom V in its 'garage'. More on that later.

Yesterday the Scottish Sector invited us to participate in the largest collection of RREC motor cars ever gathered in Scotland, at the gracious Hopetoun House with plentiful parking. A local member provided ice cream from his 25/30 which was converted to an ice cream van in 1957. I understand that 85 club cars were on parade. A wonderful tribute to the RREC's Diamond Anniversary with members from around the world.

David Gore

Post Number: 2581
Posted on Tuesday, 20 June, 2017 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are Jeanne's photos relevant to her post above - the sun finally makes a welcome appearance:-

1. Hopetoun House display

C1

2. Find the imposter in front row

C2

3. Scottish club member

C3

4. Low key picnic lunch at Hopetoun House

C4

5. Garage on the Royal Britannia

C5

6. Phantom V on the Royal Britannia

C6

7. PV for Britannia display

C7

8. Record 85 cars from RREC in Scotland

C8

9. 85 cars at Hopetoun House

C9

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, 22 June, 2017 - 03:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,
Last day of the Tour tomorrow and some are sad and others can't wait to get home. Depends on your expectations, but for all the Aussies here, we are used to long distances and long tours. However now we are back in England with increased population there are more roundabouts and town bypasses requiring concentrated navigation which is tiring. I find the satnav is only an adjunct to the old fashioned map reading but really comes into its own when the designated accommodation postcode is punched in at the end of the day.

All cars are proceeding but niggly ignition or fuel issues have arisen in a Silver Ghost or two. A Silver Shadow or two which live at home looking pretty in garages for far too many months of the year, have experienced broken belts and hoses. I understand the 2010 Ghost has returned after dropping all its oil on about Day 2. It has no dipstick and is reliant on electronic dashboard warnings. 'Stop!'

Yesterday we departed Scotland following AX201 route along the coast eastwards to Dunbar then southwards to Berwick-on-Tweed. Along the Golf coast road and past small harbours with guano covered isles out at sea from the breeding Gannets. Once over the border to England, several small castles pop up along the coastline, indicative of the constant warring between England and Scotland for territory as well as invaders from across the sea.

Unfortunately the tide was high and covered the causeway to the nature reserve Lindisfarne on Holy Island; with Celtic Christianity dating to the 6th century.The AX201 route continued through Alnwich, Morpeth and Newcastle-upon-Tyne to Durham. Most of us visited the awesome UNESCO listed Durham Cathedral with clergy in purple robes acting as guides or sentries within the cavernous chapels and medieval cloisters.

After the "Fawlty Towers" approach of our Leith hotel and where the local council changed the parking plans for us a fortnight earlier, the spacious and hospitable Ramside Hall hotel set on 350 acres with easy parking was great. We also welcomed Barry from the RREC business Logistics whose cheery face and parking instructions is truly a welcome sight . He was there again today as we drove into The Old Swan hotel in the pretty Spa town of Harrowgate. I must add that our accommodation everywhere has been spectacular, except for the one in which Andy Courtney did NOT organise, in Leith.

As I sit at a small desk at Old Swan, I wonder in which room Agatha Christie stayed when she went walkabout for ten days escaping marital issues?

Tonight is our last casual evening together and small groups are choosing to sit together according to nationalities. This tour has taken an interesting format in that there have been suggested routes but each crew chooses their own. This means most days we rarely see another tour participant on the road. On our previous international tours, it has been the serendipity of meeting up with others in cafes or town squares which has forged camaraderie.

Time to get changed and head for the bar, another great place to create or cement friendships. As many of you know, there is far too much feasting on the road. So find below the photo of our dessert from a creative chef last night.

Bye for now, Jeanne

David Gore

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Thursday, 22 June, 2017 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Must have been a very welcoming and friendly bar - only 2 images today :

1. The Old Swan , Harrowgate

D01

2. R_R Dessert

D02

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, 22 June, 2017 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can envisage a talk and pictures at a General Meeting when you return Jeanne?
It all looks too fabulous!
Regards,
Brian

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2017 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be delighted to assist Brian. Think the full impact of how we have travelled around the best scenery of each region will hit home after it's all over. And the best part is always the camaraderie and for this trip--meeting RREC members from various Sections. As our Scottish rep welcomed us 'not as ladies & gentlemen, but friends of the RREC from around the globe'.
And yes--it was a good night last night, David! Summer solstice with celebratory drinks out on the front verandah on a warm evening with new European friends.

The evening became even more exciting when John and I sat with two members from the North Eastern Section ( North Yorkshire to Scottish border)- Martin Vinson and another member Roger. More about him in a mo. Also Shelley Royce who welcomed us all as Chairman of the Yorkshire Section.There are 500 RREC members in this Section alone. Just shows how much Australia does with around 1000 members in toto.

But back to Martin who told us about Roger, the engineer who fabricates a car tool when required, who has owned his pink and grey Phantom 11, chassis number 185RY since 1959. It used to belong to Elizabeth Arden of cosmetic and perfume fame and still with original paint. But more exciting was that this car was used for parachute testing during WW 11 by driving with a parachute behind it. Once released, measurements were taken on how much the parachute slowed the P11. The attachment parachute holes are still intact behind the rear bumper bar--see my photo below.

But wait there's more, we own a Phantom 11 back home with chassis number 193RY. So it was likely that these two P11S could have been on the factory floor at the same time.
BTW check out Roger's sartorial elegance matching his 185RY. A great evening indeed.

So onto today--last day of touring which was tiring as we planned routes to bypass the busy cities of Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield . Heavy mist blurred the landscape across the Yorkshire Dales and Moors, Peaks district and wisps still remained on the Derbyshire hills. But the sun shines on our final hotel in Rutland Water.

Silver Ghosts from USA are being packed for ship forwarders to collect, cars greased and /or polished for the RREC rally in Peterborough commencing tomorrow.

Soon I must get cleaned up for the final dinner and farewell. I'll keep in touch.
Cheers, Jeanne

David Gore

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2017 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are more photos including those mentioned by Jeanne above:

1. Roger and 185RY under The Old Swan

E01

2. 185RY in original colours

E02

3. Original Parachute hole attachment 185RY

E03

4. Australian Peter Johnson-Hill

E04

5. Action in final car park

E05

6. Two P11 owners, John Matheson and Roger

E06

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2017 - 11:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeanne...
AMAZING photos of PII 185RY. I am the proud owner of its match by Freestone & Webb...126PY from 1933. The "story" as related to me was that F&W made only three of this body style which they allegedly dubbed a "Sportsman's Saloon", or in the Arden case, a "Sportslady's Saloon" presumably! Same story was that one of the original three had been destroyed in WWII, one was in the Blackhawk Collection in Danville, California, and I had the third. Amazing to find that (not surprisingly) these "stories" are simply that..."stories"...and that either the third was not destroyed, or there were more than three built by F&W. Anyway, it is an attractive bodystyle if I may say so, especially the low roofline. Here are photos of the match:

1933 PII 126PY Freestone&Webb

1933 PII 126PY Freestone&Webb

David Gore

Post Number: 2586
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2017 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

126PY is just the car for an extended trip in continental Europe - ideal long distance tourer to eat up the miles [kilometres for the pedants] with heaps of space to carry one's luggage.

A magnificent car and one to be treasured especially for its styling - sweeping guards and running boards; essential items for a classic car IMHO.

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, 25 June, 2017 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the connections this Forum creates!

The Round Britain Tour 2017 has ended but the RREC Diamond anniversary National Rally has begun at Burghley House, Stamford, Lincolnshire.The diehard enthusiasts were all there on Friday with plenty of space and time to explore the various marquees and trade exhibits. That includes all the Aussies we met too who had flown in from NSW, Victoria and Queensland.

Plenty for the restorer to purchase, with spare parts on sale and boxes to rummage. Exotic and beautiful vehicles for sale too with all the familiar names on banners. Unusual cars took my fancy including the replica Enbiricos 4 1/4 Bentley, first manufactured in 1938, and the replica La Sarthe Bentley Continental - see photos.

Now for the 1913 Sizaire & Berwick when Henry Royce requested Monsieur Sizaire to refrain from using his grille. Not to be. Also check out the mascot cap on which a flying lady could be attached. And its wheel locking mechanism.

Anyone know more? See photos below.

Fot those who haven't visited Burghley House it is a testament to massive wealth in its architecture and amazing artwork and artefacts. Not only collections from the Maquis of Exeter's Italy Tours in 17th century but also many rooms where walls and ceilings are covered in Italianate style. See the Heaven Room below. First built for Lord William Cecil in 16th century who was Lord High Treasurer to Queen Elizabeth 1. Burghley House is still held by the Cecil family.

More cars were expected today than usual because it was free as part of the Diamond Anniversary celebration. Let's hope the rain stays at bay for the Concours and Display day tomorrow where over 950 vehicles have been registered. I'll let you know later.
Jeanne

David Gore

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Sunday, 25 June, 2017 - 08:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeanne has excelled with the following photos however I am predicting the photos from the Sunday Concours/Display are almost certain to be even more interesting:

1. Diamond Rally RREC commences with AX201 on display at rear

2. Gorgeous interior of P1 chassis 76TC which may be Sydney bound

3. Treasure chest

4. Embiricos replica Bentley 4.25

5. Replica Embiricos Bentley rear

6. Replica La Sarthe Bentley continental

7. La Sarthe replica Bentley

8. Sizaire & Berwick (Paris & London)

9. Spot the R-R similarities

10. S&B wheel locking R-R

11. S&B history

12. Friday Rally reception at Burghley House

13. The Heaven Room at Burghley House representing gods and goddesses

14. Sizaire & Berwick Silver Ghost look-alike

15. Lucky dips

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, 26 June, 2017 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeanne,
I am sorry I have not been on the forum all that much of late, and have completely missed this entire post until tonight.

You are the ultimate reporter, and I so much enjoy your unique way of making me feel like I am there.

I am looking forward to catching up with you upon your return to hear more in person.

Thank you Jeanne for taking the time to do what you do, there is no one better.

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, 26 June, 2017 - 22:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,
My photos will not even go close to capturing the immensity of the RREC national rally display and judging of cars all lined up according to Class categories on Sunday. I was told 1150 cars were expected on the vast turfed grounds of Burghley House. Sheep chewed on the driveway pasture between main road and House gates and the public could walk in with ease.

As my French companions remarked at the saturday night gala dinner, they had not seen one policeman nor had any security checks since arrival all weekend. Everywhere there is an air of congeniality with jazz music filling the air between clear loudspeaker announcements.

Each vehicle carried a number for parking purposes with a description on whether it was to be judged or not. Therefore there was no designated Concours judging area--or I didn't find it. Instead judges roamed each row, found a car which desired judging and later in the afternoon, a winning rosette may appear tied to the mascot. Unfortunately we left before the final judging results but I expect they will appear on the rrec website.

A drone camera would have been more appropriate today and I am disappointed in my photos. However the sun shone from time to time and the Diamond Anniversary of the RREC deemed a success.

Over and Out.
Jeanne Eve

David Gore

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Tuesday, 27 June, 2017 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

STOP PRESS

Have just received a large number of photos from Jeanne and despite her above comment to the contrary; they are magnificent.

Unfortunately, I cannot put them up on this thread immediately as I have to leave now to attend a "Grandparents' Day" at my grand-daughter's school however they will be posted later today.

Watch this space......................

David Gore

Post Number: 2591
Posted on Tuesday, 27 June, 2017 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My apologies for the delay as grand-daughters are very reluctant to let you leave when keeping you is a great way to stay up later than usual .

1. Around 20 Silver Ghosts

G01

2. 20HP's

G01A

3. 20/25HP's

G02

4. 25/30HP & Wraiths

G03

5. Bentley 4.25L

G04

6. Bentley 3.5L

G05

7. Modern and vintage

G06

8. Mark VI and T

G07

9. Lines of beauties with Burghley House in background

G08

10. Silver Cloud 1 and Bentley S1

G09

11. Hundreds of club cars

G10

12. Jazz is in the air with Silver Ghosts and more

G11

13. Spitfire flies low over display

G12

14. Spitfire enjoys avian escort

G12A

15. Wherever you look

G13

16. Recent productions

G14

17. Mesmerising turn out

G14A

18. Lalique mascot on PII

G15

19. Bentley hatchback - 1 of 4 made by Perceval

G16

20. Bentley hatchback by Perceval

G17

21. Judging of Phantom II's

G18

David Gore

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Tuesday, 27 June, 2017 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Jeanne for taking the time to photograph and document both RREC[UK] 2017 events for those of us who were unable to participate.

I appreciate the demands placed on you by limited free time each day to sort and document your high quality photos [as evident above] before sending them to me for posting on our forum.

Now I am curious about where your next major R-R/B event will be as I am looking forward to being part of a team effort once more .

Kind regards
David

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Wednesday, 28 June, 2017 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Jeanne & David.

Fantastic images Jeanne.

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, 28 June, 2017 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My pleasure! Been a great team .
Not sure when next event will be ......

Thanks everyone for reading and your kind comments.
Has been fun .
Best wishes
Jeanne

Jeanne Eve
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, 30 June, 2017 - 01:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Addendum

I've realized that I never posted my missive from Loch Lomond. This is near where the 'Rest and Be Thankful Pass' lies on the padlocked A83 road which today is on private property.

The owners were introduced to us the evening before we climbed this former British Hill Climb. They had also had the gravel road re-tarred for us. Rather took away the sense of competition which must have existed in the 1950's and 60's for the hill climbs in small racing cars, no bigger than go-karts.

To get us in the mood, we watched an ESSO sponsored black and white film of a competitive hill climb competition. Unfortunately the one Australian entrant crashed his car. Can't remember his name but there is bound to be a reader here who will know.

For more info on the Pass, click on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_and_Be_Thankful_Speed_Hill_Climb

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: