WANTED - Silver Shadow km/h Speedo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » WANTED - Silver Shadow km/h Speedo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, 21 July, 2018 - 15:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wanted - KmH speedo from - I beleive - a Silver Shadow 2. Similar to image.

Thanks

speedo

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, 27 July, 2018 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone tell me if this will fit into a Silver Shadow SRH17903 -
http://www.apbparts.com/store/p1441/Rolls-Royce_Silver_Spirit_1977-1988_Speedometer_Jaeger_220KPH_UD23051.html?locale=en

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

gentlemen,
The speedo Glenn is looking for appears to be the rare Australian model that is smaller than the ones that went into cars made for the rest of the world. Here is the speedo.

does anyone know if these were even made in Km/h?

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 07:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Omar they do exist - mine (1974) is the smaller Australian delivery speedo in KPH.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 07:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news for Glenn.
Thanks Jeff.
The market is therefore only Australia to find these speedos - is that right?
I have certainly never seen one and I must have physically seen over 200 Shadows in my time.

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes - our Road Safety jobsworths in the 70s deemed it necessary that the entire speedo be visible to the driver at all times and so these were only made for downunder. The circle cut into the wood on the dash was correspondingly smaller.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 16:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

this is the same speedo from what i can see.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SMITHS-Speedometer-SN-6306-100-MPH-4-1-in-Diameter-FREE-Postage-PL1026-/121670870139

https://www.google.ae/search?safe=strict&biw=1821&bih=882&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=nWh2W4rcDojsaKnno4AP&q=smiths+speedometer+km&oq=smiths+speedometer+km&gs_l=img.3...283298.283938.0.285247.3.3.0.0.0.0.201.511.0j2j1.3.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.1.200...0j0i30k1j0i5i30k1.0.aAwvcbT4GqA#imgrc=NVWUzNERWdkoUM:

I bet you will find that Rolls Royce just bought speedos from a common UK made car and plonked it in.
The closest I think it may be is the Triumph Herald or the series II Jaguar

http://owenauto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_7151.jpg

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Saturday, 18 August, 2018 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar is spot on.

My new washer bottle called a Lucas Screenjet, is exactly the same as a70’s MG, Jag and probably a dozen other Pommy cars.

What a shame Aussie delivered cars and their owners never enjoyed a full size, and branded RR Smiths speedo.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, 18 August, 2018 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff McCarthy - can you post an image of your speedo please?
So - what i am seeing here is that i can transplant another speedo in - a KMH only speedo - from Triumph or Jag. The Aust delivery cars in KMH only werent branded RR but Smiths.
Am i reading this right?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Saturday, 18 August, 2018 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Glen,
You have an oddball speedo as far as the world of Rolls-Royces go although seemingly common for the handful of cars that were delivered purposely to Australia.
Please remove your speedo and have a look at the way it mounts in your car.
Then compare that to all the Smiths speedos that were from the same era. In fact I would simply look for something that fits the hole and then gear up the drive to make the new speedo read correctly.
Thanks
Omar

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2018 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are some (bad) photos - it's the same Speedo as Omar's first photo above I think. Mine is a late 1974 Australian delivery car SRH20280.

The best local source for second hand parts I've found is New model Wreckers in Smithfield. The photo of the Shadow I in the link has the speedo removed but it appears from their ebay listings to have been a MPH import anyway. They may have KPH one on the shelf somewhere.

https://www.newmodelwreckers.com.au/vehicle-search/

They do get in new wrecks for dismantling occasionally. Otherwise it won't hurt to try Bob Chapman in Melbourne or TK motors in the Southern Highlands (or even Ebay)

Philip Sproston
Experienced User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2018 - 14:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a large rebuilt shadow KMH speedo for sale plus many other parts which I'd like to dispose of before they dispose of me.
Phil Sproston

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2018 - 21:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

try otto instruments in brisbane, they may be able to help

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: