New Antenna bezels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » New Antenna bezels « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 18:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A forum friend asked me if I could make a new Shadow aerial bezel as the original rubber part is apparently no longer available. I figured if I'm going to take the time to write a CNC program and buy the material, I might as well make a run of them. The original is part #UD16553. If you plan to paint your car anytime in the next decade or if your bezel is just plain ratty, you might want one. These are made from black UHMW plastic instead of rubber like the originals. Rubber is pretty tough to machine. This is not a hard plastic - your fingernail can make an impression but it will rebound.
The first picture shows a what might be the very last NOS bezel (mine).
antenna bezel

These 2 pics compare the stock rubber bezel to one of the plastic ones I made.
antenna bezel2
antenna bezel3

Here is how it looks sitting on the wing.
antenna bezel4

The bottoms of these bezels are shaped by hand on my oscillating spindle sander. I only have access to my Shadow so I'm not certain how these fit anything else. If you want to try to shape one to fit something super weird like a Camargue (I'm looking at you Vladimir), I can send a couple with unfinished bottoms and you can grind away.
They're $10 ea. - just enough so you don't feel like your taking advantage of me . They can ship in a small bubble mailer for just a couple bucks anywhere.
Anyone can reach me at dooskoop@hotmail.com

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly, lovely work as always.

What may be good would be a flat top as per RR but with a thread to fit a 'normal' or mainstream manufacturer's aerial so something more affordable can be fitted instead?

Just a thought.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's an interesting idea Paul. I will look into doing that.
I realize that it might not be clear from my earlier post, but this ad is just for the black plastic bezel. I can certainly make the shiny piece that screws onto the top of the antenna body if anyone needs one but probably not for $10.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2016 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Are there no limits to your talent?

I'm always amazed at the quality of things you produce mate.
Very well done and good on you for being a saviour to many on this forum.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: