Synthetic Oil For Better Or Worse. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Synthetic Oil For Better Or Worse. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, 07 March, 2005 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,Gordon,and all but one.
Synthetic oil when used first in the Shadow did result in a higher consumption,The oil seemed to find any slight leak pressent ie oil press switch,rocker covers,oil level float assembly to name a few.
The last to be delt with was the distorted float housing and seal.
The engine has now settled down,i can only put this down to the better piston ring contact with the honned linners,
Many[prob smokey]High mileage engines with good inlet valve seals have linners that still have thier honning marks visible but rings shot by the build of carbon deposit within the ring groves.
This in my opinion with the synthetic oil will not happen as the propertys in the oil will clean up the carbon through out the engines life.

I will make one comment on the synthetic oil not being washed off the bores on cold start up.
It does and it causes real probs with the Alusil bores on the modern cars if not delt with at the time.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, 07 March, 2005 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick. What you describe is the general experience I've found and has been reported with other marques when "retro-fitting" synthetic oil.

Your last paragraph intrigues me though..could you clarify? ie/How can you deal 'at the time' with the oil washing off the bores at cold start up? If I've misunderstood just tell me I'm a dill..

Thanks,
GN.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2005 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon, the problem is over fueling causing flooding and failure to start,it is problem that can result in damage to the nikasil [sorry not alusil] coating of the bores on certain cars if the car is towed or repeatedly cranked to try and start the engine.
This is due to the petrol washing the oil off the bores.
The probs can arise after starting up and stopping engine then after a short period starting again with a slight warm engine,the Ecu can get in a pickle.
The other causes can be an incorrect signal due to a faulty temp sensor or even the ECU etc.
The procedure is as follows remove plugs, leave the engine to dry out,then put a small amount of oil in each cylinder leave for a short time before refitting new plugs and starting the engine.
Damage will not accure with the coating with this way.
My comment was just to state that synthetic oil does in fact wash off with petrol.
I think the new Rolls has Alusil that is far better!

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2005 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Pat. I'm with you now...I'm not a dill after all.

GN.