Help before I make a very expensive m... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Help before I make a very expensive mistake. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, 01 November, 2006 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey all,

Some of you may have seen my ealier question on wheels - well darkforce never answeres my email, however I have found some very nice spur hubcaps for my 82 Silver Spirit. Question is though, I am going to have them shipped to me (I have seen them when I was in Los Angeles) and therefore will not get to try them on my car. Will they fit? I will attach a picture of what I have found - do you think they will fit my 82 Spirit? I just have hubcaps on them now, so this should not be a problem? By the way, these hubcaps are around $500 us a piece. They are the look I am going for, however would ideally like a set of very late model spur, however those are very expensive.

Thanks!

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, 01 November, 2006 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

$500 US a piece? Many people don't make that in a week! Keep track of eebay for a while, as I've seen sets of these for a good deal less.

Oh, and yes, it will fit your Spur. They are from approx '87-'89 and are on my 20,000 series Spur.

Larry

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, 01 November, 2006 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

I have been checking on ebay for awhile. There is an interesting set online right now, however they do not look as good as these.

They are pricy, however completly reconditioned. Do you think they are too expensive?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Thursday, 02 November, 2006 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's your choice, but to me the original wheel trims look infinitely more appropriate: far prettier and very well balanced. Our T-Series has the same slotted trims as on an early Silver Spirit: you would have to pay me more than money to swap them for the examples you have shown.

That's more than I could say for the ugly slab-sided alloys on a standard Turbo R: I replaced them rather quickly with 17" JIL 5-spoke Bentley Turbo RT wheels and Michelins.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Monday, 06 November, 2006 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

$500 US sounds a bit expensive because recondition as new hub caps for a Shadow are £250 in the UK but the beauty rings come in primer only.

I think that the orignal ones supplied with the car would be better.

The one shown in the picture has a dent in it also is the color right for your car.

I always remember that my car is mine and only me has to be happy with it and no one else.

I agree with Richard I think I know the wheels he calls slab sided and they do not look right.

Check out BBS alloys I am sure they would have a design to your liking and quite a bit cheaper than $500 US.

In the UK you can get good deals on wheels which come with new tyres.

Hub caps are misnamed Hub caps are the small cups that cover the wheel brgs.

Correct mane is wheel trims or Wheel embelishers.

Just thought I would be correct and picky

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Monday, 06 November, 2006 - 03:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mistake is last posting.

Hub caps are £125
Beauty Ring is £35
Clips are £6

16" caps are £210

Check out Flying spares.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Gerry Acquilano
New User
Username: miatasportscar

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2006 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Richard. If you polish your slotted originals, they "jump to life" and give the car a whole new look. Simply buy the clips to have ready, remove the center trims, put the cap on an old piece of shaggy carpet on a board, nail in valve stem hole to keep it secure, and with some stainless rouge and an ordinary paintwork buffer (Use an old pad, it ruins it) you carefully and thoroughly buff the original gleam back. Slotted wheel covers are the best look for your car, don't change it! Shine them up!!
Gerry Acquilano
Geneva, NY (USA)
CX13757

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2006 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jason. Well, Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder. In the case of the 1982 Silver Spirit I owned, I removed the original wheel covers and had all the little bends round the edges dealt with. Once I had them perfectly round, I had them polished. The car looked fabulous with them. The only problem I had was an irritating "click-click-click" once I was on the move. It turned out to be the steel valve stem caps hitting the edge of the slot due to the flexing of the valve stems themselves! I replaced them with plain black rubber units and the problem was solved.