Crewe Engineering Excellence Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Crewe Engineering Excellence « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, 11 December, 2006 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We are all knowledgeable about the engineering excellence associated with Rolls-Royce Motor Cars at Crewe however it may not be widely known that Crewe was also recognised for engineering excellence in other areas.

The following advertisement for a book illustrates this fact:

Made in Crewe

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2006 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see that the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong has ordered fourteen Rolls-Royce Phantoms, in the biggest ever single order for the marque...

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2006 - 15:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, Peter, The Peninsula just unveiled last night their new fleet of fourteen Phantoms with the Extended Wheelbase. They are equipped with (internally) larger boots to take four full-sized pieces of luggage, the bootlid plinth is painted body colour (Brewster Green), climate control switches have been moved to the rear doors, treadplates read 'The Peninsula Hong Kong', and the duchess straps in the rear have been replaced by two (on each side) grab handles. There is more, but as my champagne glass was never, ever empty, I can't quite recall ...

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 681
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2006 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Next time you are invited to a Peninsula Hotel function, I will be quite happy to be your "seeing-eye" person - just colour me green [with envy!] over your attendance at the car unveiling.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 843
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2006 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David If you visit U Tube you will see the lot even a high speed crash!

John Shostrom
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2006 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, I'll keep that in mind! Actually, I'm fortunate enough to have attended The Peninsula's first unveiling of a Rolls-Royce fleet. I was a teenager in 1970, and the hotel took delivery of eight Brewster Green Silver Shadow standard saloons. Once again, Tan hide and single Gold finelines, and the Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels crest beautifully and delicately painted near the waiststrip on the rear doors. I feel very fortunate. Kind regards, John

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 06 January, 2007 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Detailed pictures of the long-awaited Phantom Drophead Coupé have at last been released. And on Sunday 7th January, the new convertible itself – Rolls-Royce’s first such car since the Corniche of 2002 – will be formally unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show.
RR Phantom convertible

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, 06 January, 2007 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter and Happy New Year to all.

If you visit the Company's website http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/
you will see it on a short promotional video clip being driven. I believe it won't be released for sale until 2008 so start filling up your piggy banks now fellas and gals.

John Shostrom
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, 06 January, 2007 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone.

I've visited the offical Company website and have seen the video. In my opinion, it is a real shame that R-R/BMW decided to go with the "streamlined" grille, and as has happened with Bentley, Mercedes Benz and others, I wouldn't be surprised if, with the Phantom 4-door models, we have seen the last of the traditional R-R grille. I recall CJ's advice to R: never, ever change the grille. And the teak decking seems to be a bit cliche. I can already picture faded, cracked decking on cars where owners have failed to labour over maintaining it with special oils and waxes. In comparison with the MPW dropheads, and the 1971-95 Corniche cars, it seems to me that the Phantom Drophead has lost alot of the grace and composure. Rather like Grace Kelly then and Angelina Jolie now. Anyway, that's only my opinion. But ... has anyone else noticed the typos and other glitches on the website? Apart from numerous spelling and grammatical errors, we are told that Charles Rolls commissioned Charles Sykes to sculpt the Spirit of Ecstasy. Words from the grave? Afterall, Rolls met his demise in July 1910! And, if one views the picture gallery of previous models, one will note that a Silver Wraith Park Ward landaulette (chassis CLW36) is shown as being a Phantom IV. And a Mulliner Park Ward Silver Shadow 2-door saloon is shown as being a Corniche fixed-head. As "custodians of the marque" I'd think that BMW Group would go to the effort to get things right, and so that is a bit disappointing. Enough said. Happy New Year to all!

Andre Blaize
Yet to post message
Username: parkward

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 06 January, 2007 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
BMW just bought the name, not the motto "Whatever is rightly done etc." Do you understand better now ?? ;o)

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, 07 January, 2007 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree entirely with you John and Andre.

But BMW should really get their facts right if they are going to market themselves as the purveyers of this pinnacle of marques.

Incidentally, Trivett Classic has now opened for business in Melbourne. I spotted 3 Aston Martins and 1 Black Goodwood Phantom in the showroom.

Get your chequebooks out Melburnians.

John Shostrom
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, 08 January, 2007 - 01:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Andre: Very well said! Thanks!