NRMA membership Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » NRMA membership « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 08 December, 2004 - 16:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thought I would post this out of interest. On my Bentley I have a nice NRMA badge, which was my grandfathers. The 1925 Dodge still has the original NRMA badge that my great grandfather bolted onto it. I have quite a few thousand $$$ worth of NRMA shares. I just got the renewal for my membership. I have 3 cars listed with them, the Bentley, my MG Magnette, and my wifes daily driver Toyota. The NRMA want $70 for basic care, $144 for "premium care".

What are other Sydney siders doing? I can see the moment I don't renew, I will need it! (murphy's law). The price for basic care seems to have doubled in the last couple of years, or is this my imagination?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2004 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the world of economic rationalists - this is the price we are now paying for the breakup of the organisation when the insurance business which subsidised the traditional NRMA road service and traveller maps was set up as a separate business with benefits going outside the organisation rather than remaining with the existing members of the NRMA who received a share issue as "compensation". Unfortunately, insufficient members took an active interest at the time the vote on the break-up was taken and either supported the proposal or did not vote at all so the collective "we" only have ourselves to blame.

I note alternative road service organisations have been set up and we need to see what happens - I am very wary of paying up front for services that may not be received if the providor is insufficiently funded/badly managed and goes into receivership within a short time. I guess the answer at present is to continue your existing membership until such time as you are satisfied the alternatives are viable and have a long-term future. For R-R/B owners, the NRMA premium assist package is worthy of consideration in the event of problems in regional areas where assistance/repairers are not readily available.

kevin steel
Frequent User
Username: kevin_steel

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 09 December, 2004 - 15:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi gentlemen
i was wondering if anyone could help me out,i have a silver shadow 1 which was built in 1972 it is white in colour,it needs some paint touch ups,cant seem to find any auto paint shops that can tell me type of paint to touch up with or find the mix code for a rolls,it has a paint code but im not sure if the car has been resprayed over in its 32 years of service.many thanks kev

Mark Peacock
Prolific User
Username: takemehomejames

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, 15 December, 2004 - 11:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin, where are you located..

Martin,
i know the costs are rising for the NRMA Membership, but the benefits associated with the premium memberships are phenomenal to say the least.
I was once a Partolman (Patrol Person for the political correct!!) in the Dural area in syd. And Once helped a Silver Cloud 2 Owner , who had terminal engine. The owner had been a member for 30 yrs (gold member) and had the premium membership.
The normal option was usually to tow to the nearest repair centre. But that was not convenient to the owner. So, under the policy for loyal customers, i managed to organise a tow for the Rolls back to Canberra from where the owner was from ,obtained a rental car, and a night's accomodation (it was the local hotel.. but a 3 star at that !!). I think the all up cost was well over $1000 once the car was delivered.

So, it goes to show the benefits of staying a member and paying the fee's for the possible "Rainy Day".
Another eg- if your away from home (150 kms or more), and you fall ill or are hospitalised, NRMA will arrange for afamily member to be flown to be by your side, no matter where you are in Australia.

Also grab a copy of the Membership terms and conditions , and look at the benefits provided by NRMA.
Note: im not a paid promoter of NRMA.. just an ex employee !!

Mark

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, 16 December, 2004 - 07:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark You have aroused my curiosity. Was the Cloud II black and Silver? Not too many up here!

Mark Peacock
Prolific User
Username: takemehomejames

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 21 December, 2004 - 17:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi bill, It was a few years ago, around late 1998, i don't think it was black and silver, from what i can remember it was just silver
Mark....

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, 22 December, 2004 - 07:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our grandchildren may look back on these cars Mark, and wonder why Hell we were being so nonchalant. Most of the old hands today will recall the frisson of excitement at the finding of a Ghost. Well may our progeny have the same thrill at finding 'one more Cloud'.