Attracting new members Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Attracting new members « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Szozda
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.164.50.3
Posted on Wednesday, 07 May, 2003 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that the Tee One newsletter/Self help group has made the club very meaningful to me. People like David Gore, John Begg and Bill Coburn have been very helpful in keeping my car on the road. Rolls Royce does not attract young people as it isn't a sports car and the new phantom is a step in the wrong direction. The new Bentley coupe is going to attract a younger audience and sales. Bentley turbos have brought alot more people into Bentley ownership and seem to be more relevant because of their performance.In ten years time the used car prices will be much lower .Imaging buying a Bentley Arnage for $100,000. The shortage of young members will mean a lower resale prices for Bentley and Rolls Royce. I think there will be great opportunities in the next ten years to acquire cars very cheaply.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 07 May, 2003 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark,

John, Bill and I are continuing a long-standing Car Club tradition of helping new members learn more about their cars and hopefully avoiding some of the mistakes that can be made through lack of knowledge, over-enthusiasm and/or lack of experience. We benefited from similar help in our "apprenticeship" and you are well on the way to becoming a valued participant in this process - just look at the way you were able to help out at our March 8th Self-help Day when you were unable to bring your car but still came anyway and provided valuable assistance to two separate participants who otherwise would have been on their own.

Your comments on the future are definitely food for thought and deserve further attention.

Bill Coburn
Yet to post message
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 08 May, 2003 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou Mark for thinking to say such nice things about us. I think George Shores must take resposibility for the movement, John Begg for orchestrating it and David for gingering everyone along. I have merely taken the minutes! People your age in the scene do no end of good to the hearts of we oldies. Go get some more my son and we will annoint them with RR363 and confer the junior level award of the 'Roycean Rotten Engine Mount' on them!!!

Jeanne Eve
Username: jeve

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 08 May, 2003 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,
Great to hear your views. It is imperative that this Club is attractive to its diverse membership and it certainly needs to make sure that younger members, such as yourself, feel welcomed and satisfied. Always feel free to voice your opinion.
Cheers, Jeanne.

Graeme Söderlund
Experienced User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 24 July, 2003 - 19:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would agree that the future of the Club requires attracting young Members. But I would not agree that the cars are not attractive to younger poeple. During the 60's & 70's, the Membership was more than half younger people, all under the age of 30 years.

Your own Secetary is a classic case. When Judith joined the Club, not only was she in the younger group, but was also the only Female Driver of a Twenty!

I think you would find that young people are attracted to the cars, but there is not the publicity of the Club or the cars that was seen during the 60's and 70's.

We had much writing about outings and functions in the Sydney Press, and the opening of "The
Yellow Rolls Royce"at the St James Theatre caused a sensation. Fleets of Rolls Royce cars driving all the so called celebrities to the gala night!

I can count some 11 Members of the Club during the 60's, all of whom were under thirty years of age. I guess to some, even thirty is old, but youth has always been wasted on the young.

The point is, I feel more publicity shots in the press re outings and cars would once again encourage younger people to think beyond Toyota, Holden or Ford.

As for Bill Coburn classifying himself as old...he cannot be...I distinctly remember him joining the Club when I was the Secretary and I am definetely NOT OLD!

Bill Coburn
Frequent User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, 24 July, 2003 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham at 66 I am probably up for restoration but parts are hard to come by and the manuals for my construction are well out of print. But we soldier on. I am delighted that younger members are coming into the club and that we 'oldies ' are able to help. The bottom line I keep chanting is that there will be no more of these cars and if we don't save them now they are lost forever. Meanwhile I am developing a wheelchair attachment that will enable me to be slid under a car and extracted in one piece!

Jeanne Eve
Yet to post message

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2003 - 18:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interested to hear from you Graeme. Certainly the NSW Branch is participating in public events such as the annual Australia Day NRMA Motorfest and the Shannons Eastern Creek display day in August. For the second year running we will be at Fox Studios on September 7th for the Concours d'Elegance and Display Day supporting the Kids Help Line. Hope to see you there! Also many of us would like to see our Club being more active within the community. That is the way to get favourable press coverage.However the three last paragraphs in today's Fin. Review magazine was positive about the RROC-A.All ideas are welcomed!

Graeme Söderlund
Experienced User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2003 - 21:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, perhaps we can enter you for the Age & Authenticity Trophy....but I cannot agree that we are getting old...just a little worn around the edges.

It is a sad thing to think that there will be no more Rolls Royces, and by all means, those that still exist must be kept, restored and loved by all.

I really had no idea that I would buy another at this late stage but as each day goes by I feel the old wonder at the mechanics of the car....not quite a Twenty, but certainly ALL CAR! It causes a sensation each day at Amberley Base! The number of younger guys there from Apprentices at Boeing to Air Force personnell that are interested in the car shows me that younger people do become interested and like most, the first question is what is it worth! They cannot believe that some of their modern monstrosities are far more expensive than the Shadow!

Jeanne, I will be in Sydney the week of the Concours, and will try to get there with the car (certainly it is no competition as I use it every day for transport from Brisbane to Amberley so it is well loved but well used).

My point about publicity was that not a week went by that George Sevenoaks or some other Member made sure the Club was mentioned (no matter if it was one line or 100) and this seemed to bring along interested people.

We had a young Member named Leon DeBord who saw mention of the Club in a magazine of some sort, and he rang to ask if he could join as an Associate. He stayed in the Club for quite a few years and if I remember correctly, he joined at the ripe old age of 18. So the interest is there, but it is a matter of getting them along.

I am very happy that there is a group working to help out with Shadow Self Help....I had a situation just after buying the car where all of the windows refused to open! In the Brisbane heat, even with the air conditioning going it was most uncomfortable.

I rang several Members to ask if they had had the same problem, and did any of them know of a switch reset the windows. None knew...but when I took the car to Barry Sparks, it was a matter of putting the hand up behind the glove box and pressing a switch to restart the windows.

It is little things like that which worry me...thankfully, the Group has collective knowledge to pass on.

We all owe a debt to Bill and David for all the help and advice.

David Gore
Experienced User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2003 - 22:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme,

Your comments are very pertinent and relevant especially given your long association with our Club. I think your thoughts on this topic would make a great article for our Club magazine "Praeclarum" if time permits you to do this.

If I can help you to prepare an article, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jeanne Eve
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 28 July, 2003 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graeme,
Last night I was talking to David N. who is compiling the history of the Club. So heard about the Flying Tapestry!

Delighted to hear that you will be in Sydney for the Concours and Display Day on Sunday September 7th. The judging of the Concours d'Elegance cars is only one aspect of the day because there is also the large display of members' cars which will provide pleasure both to members and the general public. So all these are well loved and used! Yours will certainly not be out of place.However if you wish to park in the Showground you will need to know the details about time and directions etc. Are you now a member of the Queensland Branch? If so perhaps you could email me privately (Go to Utilities on LHS and contact me) Please do not reveal your personal details on this public forum.If you decide not to arrive in your R-R, then suggest you park in the public carpark then stroll over at your own leisure during the day.

Look forward to meeting you.
Regards, Jeanne.
PS. Leon is writing the press release for me for the Concours day to be used in newspaper, radio and TV.

Graeme Söderlund
Experienced User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 30 July, 2003 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I would be delighted to put pen to paper again for Praeclarum! But whether the ramblings of a besotted Twenty Lover would be of interest to the general Members is another matter. Despite the other models and the years that have intervened, I still think of myself first and foremost as a Twenty person. Flying Tapestry or Silver Snail...it little matters, they are still the most delightful of all the models produced.

Jeanne, I will be in Sydney as I told you, and will be there with the Shadow. I will certainly come along to Fox Studios and hope to meet up with all the familiar faces from the Club.

I will email you privately for details etc. Yes, I have become a Member of the Queensland Branch. I bought the Shadow at Christmas time and contacted Judith about joining the Club again, only to be advised by my then employer that I was being transferred to Queensland to undertake work on a new Project. Four weeks later, I was packing in a frenzy, trying to work out the logistics of moving three cars, three cats and all the furniture and collectibles of two generations of family! I finally contacted the Queensland Branch and joined up.

In fact, last Sunday I went along to the Concours day and experienced first hand what New Members must feel on their initial contact with the Club.

Suffice it to say, I can appreciate the difficulties Visitors, New Members and even old returning Members like myself face on days such as this, which is why I am interested in the "New Members" discussion.

Very pleased to hear that Leon is still with the Club, please pass on my regards.

Graeme

Jeanne Eve

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, 04 August, 2003 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The issue of welcoming visitors, New members and returning Members is always high on the agenda, so your comments are welcomed Graeme. That first meeting is crucial for a member to choose how active he/she wishes to be within the Club.First impressions eh!

Even though there are more post - war than pre - war cars within the Club, please don't assume that there is no or less interest in the older cars and their previous custodians!

Do contact me nearer the Concours and Display date of Sep 7th, so you know when and where to enter the Fox Studios showground with your Silver Shadow.Look forward to meeting you.

Dean
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.194.17.16
Posted on Friday, 05 September, 2003 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeanne,
My wife and I are going to come to the Concours on Sep 7th.
I am looking forward to the event to have a look at some fine RR's as well as get more information on what to do about my own RR.

I have been trying to find out more about the Sep 7th event, but have not been able to.

Can you post more precise times here?
What time does it start and finish?
Also I am thinking of taking my two kids along, 12 and 14.

We can chat about membership and all other topics re RR on the day.
Looking forward to meeting you and others who have been kind enough to post advice.
Dean

Jeanne Eve

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, 06 September, 2003 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Dean,
Fox Studios, Lang Road, Moore Park is open to the public at 10.00am tomorrow and our display will be there until about 4pm. You will find members more than willing to assist, in the RROC marquee, which you cannot miss. We will all be on the Showground on the lawns.I'll be wandering around wearing black jeans and a black hat so please come and introduce yourselves to me! It is a great place for kids with the cinemas, ice rink, markets and shops.Plus they can sit in the 1910 Silver Ghost for a gold coin donation to Kids Help Line!!I am certain you will gain much info tomorrow and have a great day. It will be R-R and Bentley afficionados' delight.There will be many models represented from 1910 to the brand new 2003 Phantom.If it is pouring with rain, we wil be on Level 5 of the carpark. Cheers, Jeanne.

John Dickinson
Yet to post message
Username: au2018

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 26 January, 2004 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeanne and members of the RROC(A),

I attended the above-mentioned Concours day on the 7th September 2003 and thoroughly enjoyed the occasion, wandering amongst the display and talking with many of the proud owners. I found the owners so pleasant and helpful to talk with – of particular mention were those in the RROC(A) marquee - that three days ago I forwarded an application for Associate Membership to the NSW state branch. I know, it has taken me over three months, but I find myself becoming so forgetful these days (age?... surely not).

I look forward to becoming involved with the RROC(A) as an Associate member.

John Dickinson

Jeanne Eve

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, 28 January, 2004 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John,
Delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself and spreading the good word on this website! There is a committee meeting soon so I will look out for your membership application. Several members came up to our display on Australia Day, at the Motorfest in Macq St.and were also interested in an associate membership and learning as much as posssible before considering a purchase. So welcome!The next general meeting is on Wednesday February 18th, 7.30pm at the Anzac Memorial Club, Cammeray. Maybe see you there? All members, guests and visitors are welcome.
Would you please tell us John where you heard about last year's Concours d'Elegance at Fox Studios? We are experimenting with different media outlets and your feedback is valuable.Thanks.
Cheers, Jeanne.

John Dickinson
New User
Username: au2018

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 06 February, 2004 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeanne,

It was reading the above messages (posted 5th and 6th September respectively) that attracted my attention to the 2003 Concourse at Fox Studios.

Jeanne Eve

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, 08 February, 2004 - 14:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,
You've made my day!Your answer is exactly the reason why I will be spreading the message on why the Club needs to have all its Branches contributing to this website. Just for interest sake, the recent Australia Day Motorfest in Sydney was another success with several members of the public coming up to us requesting membership application forms or just with lots of questions. The next public event will be on August 8th at Eastern Creek and at the All British Day on Aug 22nd. Cheers, Jeanne.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, 08 February, 2004 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well to hear you mob swapping dates etc one would think New South Wales were the only organiser of public displays of RR's and B's! In Canberra our National Capital we have just had a terribly British Day which was well attended and probably more fruitful will be the forthcoming 'Wheels' day on 7 March in front of the old Parliament House. A mob of us here believe that to get people interested in the cars the public needs to get into and under the cars. Rows and rows of immaculate cars locked up or surrounded by groups of owners and guests seriously imbibing are a bit daunting to the 22 year old computer whizz who is contemplating buying one of the beasts.. " Excuse me, but would you mind showing me the engine or what do I look for when buying one of these cars". "Is there someone restoring one of these so that I can see what is involved". Our little group put our cars up on ramps with clean waterproof tarps under them and lots of people of all ages slide under the cars usually with an owner and have a conducted tour. Cars are left on jacks with the wheels off, bonnets of course are open, A3 sheets with large print are stuck on the inside of windows explaining relevant bits of technical data, apochrypha, anecdotes and various diagrams from the spares manuals. When there is power available we have set up video displays of technical procedures as well as past rallies. Most of us regard these displays as fairly hard work but if it gets people to look after these cars it is well worth it.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, 08 February, 2004 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Your Silver Dawn parked with its tyres perched on tiny Wedgewood cups in the middle of David Jones, Civic, around 1974, created more interest than any other display.

Access and assurance of affordability are the keys today.

David Gore

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, 09 February, 2004 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

I do not think your supposition that Jeanne's posts imply other States are not doing anything is correct. The posts are purely aimed at using this site for the purpose it was intended i.e. promoting Club activities to anyone who may have an interest. If other Branches are unable/unwilling to use this medium or unaware of its effectiveness then NSW will lead by example.

It is not appropriate for me to comment on the ACT situation other than to say it is unfortunate a compromise cannot be reached between the various viewpoints that are strongly [dogmatically?] held by the individuals concerned. Again, the example set by NSW shows one way how these interests can be accommodated within the Club and to the benefit of all.

The main point, after all, is the well-known marketing principle "you have to sell the sizzle with the steak".

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, 09 February, 2004 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I have never heard of that Maxim David and will add it to the list. My remarks were not I assure you addressed to Jeane and I would be suprised if she regarded them as such. My intent actually was to try and get some outrage from the other States particularly Victoria. You may have noticed that I now include the various web sites on the back of Tee One Topics and perhaps that may inspire a few more contributors. I sometimes think that there are more international participants on this Australian site than the locals - but if so, so be it. The ACT 'situation' did not even cross my mind when writing the previous post. The practice of locking up cars and glaring at people who go near them is pretty well universal with some very notable exceptions and I think of Terry Bruce!!! There needs to be a balance of course since I cannot envisage 300 owners at Flemmington next month donning overalls and having heated arguments about hydraulics, servo linings and balancer poundages - that would be a bore. No David I was merely describing one approach to trying to stimulate interest in a population of young people who have a completely different set of criteria when deciding what they will enthuse about. The mantra 'The Best Car in the World' is utterly meaningless today and merely refers to a value of yesteryear. I don't give a damn how people regard the cars I just love them for what they are - very interesting pieces of machinery with an incredible provenance. And the laudable efforts of Jeane to encourage younger generations to take an interest in the marque must be one of the most positive initiatives in developing a future population to look after the surviving cars!

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, 11 February, 2004 - 14:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeanne,

a few more thoughts on encouraging new members.

I have tried several times to co-ordinate visits to Sydney with advertised events/happenings within the Rolls Royce Owners Club of Australia.

I have gone into the web sites but am either in the wrong site or THERE IS NO INFORMATION OF COMING EVENTS.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if right, would it not make sense for each Branch to publish on the web site a list of events?

This way, people hitting the web site could know just where they would see the cars and go along for a good look.

I would certainly appreciate the opportunity of getting under/in the cars as Bill has mentioned, but unless you know where this is happening - there is no chance, other than having access to Branch Newsletters..

So, the suggestion is that ALL branches publish a list of events on the web so that interested party's could come along and see the cars close up.

For example, I am having difficulty in arranging time to attend my first Federal Rally in almost 30 years! May have to miss it all - bugger!

But, does the NSW Branch still have the Commemoration Run? If so, is it still the first Sunday in April, and where will it be going this year?

Regards,

Graeme Soderlund

Jeanne Eve

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, 12 February, 2004 - 12:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graeme,
Just a few points to your suggestions above. First I am pleased to see that this website encourages discussion and suggestions. I have placed the use of the website and its potential, as an agenda item for a meeting at the national rally in March.

In theory I agree that it would be a great idea to have the PUBLIC events in which the Club branches participate listed on this website, especially for any enthusiastic non - member to drop by. The national RROC-A magazine, Praeclarum, now has an officer whose job it is to collate all club events from around Australia and have them listed. This was always supposed to occur via Events Officers informing the Editor but has all become a little casual. Also some Branches are more organized than others in planning ahead. Therefore soon every RROC-A member can read Australia wide club events, public or private, in Praeclarum and plan their visits accordingly.

At the moment this website is grossly underused by most Branches of the RROC-A and has enormous potential. One of its greatest advantage unlike other R-R websites is that no password is required.The flipside is that more caution needs to be given re privacy and care with details.
Regards, Jeanne.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, 26 February, 2004 - 10:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeanne

My fourpemce worth. When you are presenting the agenda item on the web site be aware that some other Branches or should I say some members of other branches feel that since the site originated in NSW it is their site and nobody would be interested in the views of say a SA member. This I realise is utter nonsense. The Swammelstein (sp?) site is very busy with lots of stuff dear to my heart but the ISP as I understand it cannot or will not fix recurring problems with the results that the finished product is a mess. We should be able to compensate this shortcoming particularly for the benefit of the international members. In summary can I suggest you go in with a basball bat to the Fed Council meet but wear velvet gloves! Good Luck

PETER DIXON
Experienced User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 26 February, 2004 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank's Graeme for so aptly stating that which I for fear of retribution as an outsider was afraid of saying myself. It is sort of like being on the wrong side of a one way mirror. You know things are happening on the other side but cant work out the why and wherefore