Confusing electrics. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Confusing electrics. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-86-29-91-3.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2007 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of my jobs is marine electrics.

We have always used the colur code of red live 1 blue live 2 yellow live 3 black neutral and green earth. single phase the live is red.

Which is the old uk system used up until 2004.

The marine bit has stayed with the old system which is intuitive-- red - danger green safe sort of thing.

However of late we are getting more and more equipment that is colour code to the new system which is brown live black live and grey live and blue neutral.

So we rewire to the "proper" colours.

Last week a new generator turned up connected to a RR DVT8 engine, beings it was a Rolls-Royce engine I was keen to start it up for comparison to other makes.

Unfortunately the electricain got totally confused and connected black to black which turned out to be 1 phase from the generator at 240vac connected to the neutral line meaning that all the 240vac equipment now gets 380 volts.

Fortunately the delicate stuff was protected and the RCDs all clicked out.-- very fast.

I am glad that the circuits we well protected and safe because I was standing on a metal deck and a bit damp from the rain.

Engine ran nice though. very quiet for a 30 litre diesel

(Message approved by david_gore)