Woolen over rugs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Woolen over rugs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Anson
Prolific User
Username: bentleybloke

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All, I have just purchased a Shadow 1 (SRH 20910) and the car came with over rugs. These look a little tired and have faded in places.
The wife took them to our local dry cleaners for a quote to have them cleaned....£30.00 EACH!!!!
So I put them straight in the washing machine and they now look and smell OK.
I was wondering if it would be possible to dye these back to there original colour (beige). Has anybody tried this with their rugs?
I cant use them as they are now, so if dying them goes wrong I have not lost out. Does anybody know how much a set of these rugs are to buy in the UK?

Many thanks Mark
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 11:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

See if you can find a spinners and weavers group in your local area or elsewhere as they will have good contacts for dying woollen materials either as yarn or finished products.

We have dedicated washing detergents here for washing woollen garments and the secret is to only use lukewarm water - use hot water and shrinkage is inevitable.

If the rugs are "hard" after washing; you can use personal hair conditioner to soften them - just lightly sponge the conditioner into the rug, leave for a minute or two then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. Fabric softener intended for washing machines tends to leave a residue behind that is hard to get rid of during the rinsing process.