My Beautiful Bentley killed by an EB ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » My Beautiful Bentley killed by an EB Falcon « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Modistach
New User
Username: bboy_8

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 15 January, 2007 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On Wednesday 3rd of January I was returning home from a business meeting at about 9-9:30 pm when I was T-boned by an old EB Falcon. The Falcon hit the front left panel and then spun around 90 degrees and smashed into the rear left panel. I was forced over 4 lanes of traffic (two with oncoming traffic), over the curb, across the footpath and partially through a wire fence on the other side of the road.

The facts are that I had NOT been drinking or taking any other substances, I was travelling between 60-62 kmph in a 60 zone, I was wearing my seatbelt and the other car hit me. What is in dispute (ie my word vs theirs) is who ran a red light. There were three witnesses but all put the wrong car on the wrong road heading in the wrong direction. Please do not make reference to fault as this is yet to be determined by the investigating officer and I do not want to impair any legal proceedings.

I spent the first night in hospital and the next 3 nights at my mate's parents place as his mum is a nurse and nearly my entire family live overseas. My movement has improved to the point where I can turn my neck nearly 70 degrees (up from 15 degrees) although I struggle to tilt it back. My knee has most of its range of movements although still hurts to bend or put my weight on it, my back has limited range of movement and my ribs ache and are causing the most amount of pain.

I just received a phone call from the insurance assesser informing me that the car is a total write off. What an inglorious death. To be hit by an old Merc would have been more fitting!

I'll add some before and after photos soon.

PS - the Bentley was a 1989 model and had only travelled 51,360 km.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, 15 January, 2007 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sincere condolences on your loss David. The Bentley can be replaced but you can not. Hope your recovery goes well.

(Message edited by Mark Herbstreit on 15 January 2007)

Jason Pfeiffer
Frequent User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, 15 January, 2007 - 16:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So sorry for your loss.

I am in the insurance business, actually use to be in claims, now the corporate side. Not to discourage you, however the he said vs he said accidents are very difficult. IF they can not determine who ran the red light, then the just write the property damage off, and both side pay their own, providing you have the proper coverages, which I am sure you do. When it becomes more complicated is when someone is injured. Then they do a much more comprehensive investigation, even possibly getting data on the light timing.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I would be glad to help!

David Modistach
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 15 January, 2007 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou for your condolences.

I am pleased by your comments Jason as I was disappointed with the outcome from the witness's statements. I know that there is no red light camera at the intersection involved and I'm unsure if there is a traffic monitoring camera. The light timing data could help if the investigating persons are able to determine the exact time of the impact - I only have an approximate idea of when it occurred.

Unfortunately I imagine that all three persons involved will have sustained injuries. At the scene of the crash I could hear the female driver of the Falcon screaming in pain and the first person that came to my window and spoke to me informed me that there was blood all over her car. When I was delivered to the Royal Adelaide Hospital the paramedics told the hospital staff that there were two more people (she had a male passenger) to come from the same accident and that the others were in a worse condition than I was. I asked about them at the hospital about adozen times and later when I spoke to the police but I am yet to be told anything about them. I hope they are alright and recovering well.

Dick & Roz Roadnight, UK
New User
Username: dickroadnight

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 24 January, 2007 - 02:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look on the bright side - if you had no been driving a car weighing over two tons, you might not have survived!

Ben crombie
Experienced User
Username: crombo97

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, 29 January, 2007 - 14:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry to here that kind of news
I hope you recover quickly

David Modistach
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 30 January, 2007 - 00:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I received a cheque from Shannons today for the agreed value of the car. Only 17 working days from when I informed them of the crash until I had the cheque in my hand. All contact with their assesser and claims department was kind and helpful. Much better experience than other insurance companies I've had to deal with. I'm happy to have my other two cars insued with them. Sorry I haven't been able to post pics (they're too large) but you can see some here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=150522

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: ce0.ppi.centralonline.com.au
Posted on Friday, 02 February, 2007 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, after looking at the crash photos you are 1 very lucky man! Thank God that the Bentley is built like a tank. Now that the insurance money has come through I would really be looking for another one. All the best to you.

(Message approved by david_gore)