A Rare Rolls-Royce Product? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » A Rare Rolls-Royce Product? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some of our regular contributors would be aware that I have a passionate interest in live steam engineering. Whilst browsing a UK website, I found the following item listed for sale:

http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/fairground.htm

Just the thing for the grandchildren!! However I suspect the asking price will be around the cost of a good Silver Ghost or possibly a lot more. If any of our UK contributors are near Canterbury and could find out more information or better still get some more detailed photos; I am positive these will be of interest to our users.

R-R Galloper

Any additional information on the reasons why and history of Rolls-Royce manufacturing fairground equipment would also be of interest.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Someone please correct me if I am in error, but I do recall hearing way back when that Rolls-Royce did indeed build 'a' merry-go-round for its employees children.

If it is true and accurate then this could be the only one ever built and therefore could be worth an absolute mint.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2006 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too like steam and I am very fortunate to live in Dorset UK because there is a lot of steam stuff in Dorset and every year we have a fair at Stourpaine and plough, cut wood etc with traction engines and alike. Recently I saw a nice pair of Fowler plough engines at work.

In the 1960,s British Railways were still using steam but a modernisation drive saw a great many locomotives which had years of usefull life scapped and replaced with deisels and electric locos.Now the railway men say this was a mistake because the modern stuff did not prove to be better because they did not stand the test of time and most of the first batch went to the scrap yard within 10 years. Now we have a rubbish rail system with the most expensive fares in the world and no guarratee of a seat when you buy a ticket. In France the cross channel trains run at 150mph but once they get to the uk they have to slow down to 60 mph because the tracks are in such a mess. It is cheaper for me to drive to London in a Rolls-Royce than get a train take a passenger and I am quids in.

Nothing like bacon and eggs cooked on the shovel in the firebox. The crunchy bits are the coal and my dad used too say it was good for you because it made your hair curly. I have had many a pint mug of tea with steam oil floating on top.

I know that a steam merry-go-round was recently restored and it cost over £50k to do. It was done by Suggs from the Rock band Madness for a TV series called Salvage squad. The co -presenter Clair Barret has a steam engineering degree. She also done a White steam car. ( which failed to make it to Brighton on veteran rally- still all good fun and better than watching soaps on TV )

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2006 - 22:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

I think the UK experience with railway steam locomotives was repeated around the world.

The same thing happened here in NSW when a lot of perfectly good locomotives were put on "rotten row" for scrapping then had to be placed back in service during a subsequent wheat harvest when the diesels couldn't move the grain fast enough from the country silos/bulheads to the grain terminals in the ports and farmers were being caught with grain spoilage because the grain had to be left unharvested in the paddocks and it lost quality as time passed before it could be harvested and delivered to the local receiving point.

I agree, you haven't had a real bacon & eggs meal until you have enjoyed one from the fireman's shovel - the billy tea from the firebox was also memorable - we didn't use steam from the boiler to heat the water; just sat the billy on the firebox throat, waited for the billy to boil then chucked in a handful of tea - we still have a commercial brand of tea named "Billy Tea" and it makes a great brew.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, 24 June, 2006 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahh Steam. Steam engines were probably the nearest thing that man created that closely resemble a lifeform. It breathes, it has moods, it talks to you. Bloody Hell. So do Rolls-Royce.

Two nearest things to life.

They argued back in the '60s that steam was too expensive and diesel was cheaper. How things have come full circle. There's much more coal in the ground than oil. Steam smells a helluva lot better than diesel too. Not too popular with washing lines I suppose but who likes housework anyway?

Funny how many of us also love steam.

Back in the '50's I lived in Swindon when Dad used to work for Pressed Steel. I used to love seeing the Expresses pulling those lovely Pullman carriages, but we are getting off topic here. Pressed Steel of course, used to fabricate the bodies for our Standard Steel Saloons although Dad was in the Rover Section.

David Gore

Post Number: 603
Posted on Saturday, 24 June, 2006 - 13:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A question for Sir Henry,

Why didn't you design and make steam engines instead of electric cranes?

Then I could create the ultimate fantasy; a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow with a modern steam engine power plant without offending the purists.

Dream on David

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, 24 June, 2006 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back in the 1980s there was a fantastic living steam mueum at Dover in Tasmania. A huge shed full of engines large and small, all being driven from a central boiler.

Another smaller living museum is at Tokoroa in New Zealand, but I think it is now closed, even though the engines are still there.

I was at Dover Tasmania again last year, and the steam shed is now sadly overgrown and derelict.

In New Zealand the immaculate Kingston Flyer still plys a daily tourist route from the head of Queenstown's Lake Wakatipu. And on the lake itself, the 1912 Earnslaw is still very busy with the tourists. The coal is still shovelled manually in to the boiler, and the rising hot steam smell is wonderful. The steamer has been in the lake ever since being assembled and launched in 1912.

Peter

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 299
Posted on Saturday, 24 June, 2006 - 18:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,
We may have to rename this Forum soon and call it the R-R B & S Forumsnet.

Victoria has an excellent live steam museum also and from your description, it sounds similar to the 'Tassie' version.

It is in High Street Road in Wantirna South and the Victoria Branch had a joint outing with the Steam and Traction Engine Society there some months ago.

Well worth the visit.

I think we had better get back to our main area of interest as far as this forum is concerned before the black staff falls upon us.

David Gore

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, 25 June, 2006 - 15:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't have a black staff and I am selfishly indulging myself here as a Moderator's "fringe benefit".

In any case, the information has potential application for selection of destinations for future RROC[Aust.] events - that's my excuse anyway.

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, 26 June, 2006 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The NSW Branch of the RROC(A) has had several steam-engine related outings in recent times. They've proved very popular with boys and girls of all ages (and I do mean all ages) and we invariably get a good turnout.

Anyone who has ever looked under the bonnet of a Silver Ghost will see the legacy of steam technology: it's all black enameled or painted hunks of iron, lots of brass and copper tubing, and has that evocative smell of hot oil and water.

I believe Sir William Lyons (of Jaguar fame) is most often credited with expressing the opinion that
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."

(But he didn't make steam engines, so he may have been updating an old saying.)