Re-Upholstery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Re-Upholstery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
New User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 14 August, 2009 - 11:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like to get the Shadow looking like new and have decided to replace the interior but was not quiet prepared for the financial shock. Now perhaps I am being ripped off as it's a fine looking car and the marque I am sure attracts a premium, but I was quoted $ 500 to re-upholster and replace one} drivers seat cushion,with Connolly hide of course. Do you feel this is a good price? I am looking for a reliable company in and around Sydney if anyone can help.

Kevin

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, 14 August, 2009 - 16:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kevin,
If it is genuine Connolly hide then that is probably not a bad price. However, if you want I can direct you to a competent motor trimmer who will charge a fair and reasonable price for good quality work.
If you are interested, send me a pm.
Regards,
Brian Crump

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, 14 August, 2009 - 18:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In early 90's, a Cloud interior refurbishment would be $5000- odd. I don't think that was with Connolly though. But it scrubbed up the old fellas.

With prices of the Cloud then, I thought that a great price to pay if you wanted new leather, headlining and shite.

You might be comparing the purchase price with your now costs of bringing it up to shape.

I hope you spend the money and keep your Shadow - and enjoy it.

So many of them are being driven into the ground, beyond sensible restoration.

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2009 - 13:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kevin,

Know exactly where your headed!!!

I have very recently had my two front seats re done in my Spirit. The squabs and base cushions only both re cushioned and new leather and piping. The rear covers and base surrounds of the front seats were fine. I looked for months in Sydney and Vic to find as close as possible for the right leather grain ( very fine and no dimpling ) and colour to match the rest of the interior, which is very good. I had no success.... I am very particular mind... so near enough was not good enough really... it was looking like I would have to get the whole interior done which seemed silly given the perfect patina the rest of the leather had.
While in the UK in March this year I went and saw Montague & Co and within 2 days they had a full Rolls Royce hide for me, it matched the cars hide perfectly (I supplied them with my cars interior trim number this was used to trace the right colour). I did take a small cut from under the seat to test and yes it was a perfect match. I had them send the rolled hide back to Aus.
For about $1000k for the labour, my seats look perfect and you would not know they had been redone. The hide cost me 250 pounds and about 50 pounds to air freight it back. So all in all $1500 bucks and a super job.
The quote you had done at $500 per cushion seems high but again if they are good at their job then its probably worth it.
If you are having trouble sourcing the right leather your car will have an upholstry code, use this and drop the guys at Montagues a line and see if they can track it down for you.

good luck!

Cheers

J

Michel Malik
New User
Username: michel

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2009 - 14:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kevin,

I can only confirm Brian Crump's offer for the excellent motor trimmer that we both use.
He did a fair bit of work on my Silver Spur and I could not be happier.

And he was NOT expensive.

Regards

Michel