New RR club proposed. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » New RR club proposed. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2021 - 19:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have received a few emails inviting me to join a new RR club called "Rock N Roller". I replied to the first one to say that I would not join a club with that name. This produced a further email "Why?". My reply was along the line of "If you don't know, I could not explain."

Anyone else been invited?

Alan D.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2021 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Alan, twice ! Have now blocked sender.
Mark

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2021 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am starting to feel unloved here........
Maybe its just a UK thing eh?

Martin Webster
New User
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2021 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It’s a scam everyone. Look at the RREC forum if you can. Ignore the e mail.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 273
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2021 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You get invited to join a club so you enrol giving them all of your personel information.
Then you might even buy something or pay a fee so now they have your financial details
And because it is a car club you give them your vehicle details and perhaps even a drivers license number

Works a whole lot better than telling you that you just won a lottery you did not buy a ticket in, or a relative you don't know left you a fortune or a person from a third world country needs you to smuggle funds out of the country etc etc etc.
As a general rule you should always lie when joining web based anything
Never use your real name or real age or real address and use a dummy email address or a disposable free one like Gmail or yahoo or aol etc.
I use a dummy one "notrealmail@my ISP" to join all web only forums . Note i know this forum is genuinely attached to a real club as for a while I tried to join the RROC in Sydney .
THis is called "Cyber security" and is one of the easiest ways to protect yourself.
Any payments for anything bought on line should be done through Paypal or similar & not your credit or debit card as no "safe server " that keeps your financial details is actually safe & all of them are prime targets for hacking thieves.
As an added level of security you should use a paid for email account, but never use the address the ISP assigns to you for anything but communicating with the ISP.
You create a pile of sub accounts for specific purposes.
For example, I am with TPG & they allow 10 addresses with a DSL account & each of these can have 3 aliasis which gives me a total of 30 email addresses to play with and those can be replaced with others so the addresses used when I was sub-contracting have all been deleted & replaced with others .
I was a partner in a wedding car business called Regal Rolls so we used "Regalwed@" for all of the wedding car stuff, including emails to customers.
So when the very offical email comes to that address from my bank, even addressed to me in person , I know it is a scam.
Regalwed is also the email address used for this forum .
There is another email address used excluseivly for government communications ( tax, pension, healthcare etc etc ) so the emails that come to Regalwed from the ATO about my lost tax details are also instantly identified as a scam.
Another used only for each financial instution .
Even better is you can control which email addresses that are on particular devices.
All of the forums for recreation or enlightenment are on an old computer and the government stuff as well as none of it is needed to be checked daily unless I have the time to do it and want to do it .
The current work email is the only one on the phone so should the phone get lost or stolen, no useable information is on there apart from my customer list & trading emails.
Working like this also has the benefit of allowing a proper organization of my cyber life.
I don't need to know about the best deals being offered to subscribers to Practical Machinist while I am having a meal with friends or working on a customers mower.
FWIW currently I use 11 email addresses spread over 3 different devices.
People always stress over what to do with obsolete electronics.
Well this post is being done on a old mac running OS 9 with a G5 processor.
The mower repair stuff is on the main computer .
All of the computers now have SSD's fitted so they can be turned off without fear of damage to the hard drives so that is what happens they all turn off over night & start up automatically at the same time the alarm goes off .
The old big spinning drives are used for back ups and every one is encripted
If your computer is not on all the time & not connected to the internet 24/7 then it stand a lesser chance of being hacked into & almost no chance of becoming zombied

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: