Once in a lifetime. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Once in a lifetime. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2020 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I offered this story to the RREC magazine and the local club magazine, and it was never published, so:-

In the mid-80s (I can not remember the date, but it was sunny) we - my wife and I - were sitting in a taxi on Horse Guards Parade in London, stuck in a queue of traffic heading towards Parliament Square. The vehicle in front was a Rolls Royce which I now recognise as a Spirit. The Spirit started to move off but slowed after a few yards then stopped, and the rear tyres began to smoke, until the rear of the car was totally hidden by blue rubber fog. As the fog cleared the park on the left was lined with tourists - mostly oriental - snapping away on their cameras. Next a chauffer got out of the car looking discombobulated, then a formally-dressed man and woman exited, the chap had a word with the driver, and the couple set off on foot in the direction of the river.

Our taxi driver got out for a look and said he could see that the traffic was moving so pulled out and overtook the Rolls - and we saw the line of cars in close formation that it had gathered in a long heap. There were six or seven cars in a very nose-to-tail group which the Rolls (6.75 litre V8 + torque-converter in 1st gear) had gathered up before the combined weight and braking power had defeated to tyre-to-tarmac grip and produced the fog-bank. I assume that the tyres were now glued to the road. There was a Ford estate car and a big Volvo saloon in the pile - it was over so quick that I have little more memory of the details. There were confused/puzzled drivers and passengers looking at the wrecks.

The taxi driver offered the theory that the cruise-control had clicked on by accident, fault or mistake. I don't know, but I can imagine the driver turning round to talk to his passengers and nudging something??? And I can understand his confusion until he thought of turning off the ignition, because the rear brakes were not enough to stop the (quietly) screaming engine.

There it is. As I titled it - "Once in a lifetime" at most.

Discuss.

Alan D.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2020 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My only comment is that if the brakes were indeed unable to halt the rear wheels in that circumstance then the brakes were not maintained correctly.

The brakes on any car have been for many decades now, designed to be able to hold a car stationary under full engine load (for an automatic, of course).

I agree it would be a once in a lifetime thing.

Brian

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2020 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Panicked and stood on the throttle instead of the brake I recon.
Mike

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I doubt it would have been the cruise control as heavy accelerator pressure consistent with that used on the brake pedal in an emergency stop would have been needed to result in the damage described in the article.

Definitely a "panic stop" that went wrong IMHO.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: