Technical documentation from RREC Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Technical documentation from RREC « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Miguel A. Garcia
Frequent User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2005 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just received the documentation provided by Mrs. Barbara Westlake, from RREC.
I am examining the documenation, but really I am not so familiar with it. I found that the original client was a Doctor who ordered the car on 1967, but i see also other documents (entitled as "NEW CAR ORDER") dated on 1964, on wich appears in the paint colour the words "to follow" and as customer "Stock". In the chassis type is write "Silver Cloud III". After, in a second copy of this document has hand write over the original words, the final pain colour "velvet green" and the customer´s name over the stock word.
Also in the document entitled as "CAR SALE-TO SALES DEPARTAMENT, CREWE. REPAIR SALE-TO REPAIR DEPARTMENT, CREWE." with number 22067, appears the paid amount by the original client when ordered the car, and also the deposit received from him. It has date of december 1967, but it has also typed the date 14-09-1964.

About the motor and chassis numbers, i was all this time thinking that both was always the same number. In the SRH3430 i thought that its motor number might be also SRH3430, but in the documentation received it is SY2499RR.

Please, anyone has any idea about how to interpreting this facts?
Is ther available any guideline about how to read, interpretate and understand this factory documenation?
I am really confused
thank you all.

regards,

Miguel

John Richardson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.137.219.123
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2005 - 13:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re Engine and Chassis Numbers. Advice I have is that Rolls-Royce/Bentley adopted a system, where each vehicle in the Silver Shadow/T range was issued a Unique Chassis Number consisting of Three Alpha characters and up to 5 numerals, with the Engine Block/Crankcase being Uniquely stamped with the same numerals as each Unique Chassis Number, where each Unique Engine Number is located on the left hand front corner of the cylinder block “B” Bank. It appears a Casting Number prefixed with either the Alpha characters SY or SYL followed by various numerals etc also appears on the top face of each timing chest near the centre and Factory records show which Casting Number is/was allocated to each Chassis/car. Upon delivery, invoices to Customers apparently showed the engine number as the same as the Chassis Number without Alpha characters. Advice is the Casting Number Prefix SY is allocated to 3.6 stroke engines and the Prefix SYL is allocated to 3.9 stroke engines. Others may have further information on this subject, which sometimes appears to cause confusion with Vehicle Registration Authorities.
Trusting this assists.

Johnny
SRH19323

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 840
Posted on Tuesday, 12 July, 2005 - 03:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

You are quite correct abput engine numbers: SY is the model code for Silver Shadow of course, and the SYL is indeed the long stroke 6750cc motor.

USUALLY the chassis number and engine number digits are the same, but there are some curious exceptions. Chassis build sheets even show inconsistencies. The Crewe policy was even to renumber exchange motors to match the chassis, but oddly some new cars were delivered with numbers not matching.

In Australia, where the authorities go more by engine number than chassis number in past days, this all caused confusion. SZ cars had the engine build sequence and serial numbers transposed on Turbos but not on normally aspirated cars. This drove them mad. When the engine numbering system changed completely, and newly located by the distributor, starting at 60000L410/I/8 etc in 1987, the authorities really went out of shape. Digits starting at 60000 for serial number, L for long stroke, 410 for 410 cubic inch (actually 411), I for injection, T for Turbo, 8 for 8:1 compression etc.

RT.