Must be suffering dementia Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Must be suffering dementia « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two days ago I gave the old girl a start in the carport just after a battery charge.My friend next door came over and we hit the booze.Would you believe left the car running all night with 1/2 a tanks of fuel only stopping when she ran out.I put a few dollars in the old girl and she started straight up again. I was really distraught about her over heating or stuffing the fuel pump but nothing seams to have been damaged.Just lucky I guess.

cheers rob

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha ha Robert, welcome to the merits of getting older. Seems like your RR is in pretty good running order at least at idle.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,

As Vlad states, your car seems to be in great order.
In fact it was a good test for all systems, and she got nice and warm to boot.
Was there any fuel or coolant leaks evident?

The next thing is, how do we all get invited to your next “drink with your neighbor “
Sounds like a good time will be had

I’ve actually left an old Kenworth K123 prime mover (lorry to some of you chaps) with a V8 GM8V92 Detroit Diesel 2 stroke running over a long weekend. As you did, I jump started it on the Friday morning, intending to shut it off Friday after lunch.

Instead I came in Tuesday morning to open the dealership gates wondering what that weird noise was down the other end of the used truck lot.
There she was still purring away.
Luckily her 400L tank was full, she was on 1/4 when I shut it off.

For those of you unaware of the joy of listening to a Detroit Diesel V8,
Check it out. A mechanical symphony to the ears.

Vlad will be VERY familiar to these beauties, as they (and their V6 brothers) were very popular in buses & coaches.

These beautiful engines are turbo charged and supercharged
92 cubic (1.5L) inches per cylinder.
They also came in V6, V12 & V16 all had the same cylinder capacity.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFB-65I5yc

1978 Kenworth K123

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 09:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi folks
Was a bit premeture on the no issues found there is a leak in the float chamber "O" ring on the left side and the little filter is cloged with krud from the tank.My wife always said I smelt like petrol when out for a drive so I'm thinking It might an original part and had been dripping for some time. I'll replace both filters and rings as they proberly never been changed since the 80s.
Cool read about the truck some things never die.

cheers Rob

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That’s great new Rob, some good did come out of this little adventure.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2018 - 02:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, I had two tractors (prime movers) in the 70's with the 8V92TT engine. here it was called the OO92, Owner Operator 92. Great engine's. Thanks for the memories.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2018 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That’s ok Mark.
Glad it brought back some memories.

It is also the very first time my 26 year old son has heard these magic sounding engines.

He’s now a huge fan.

He also found this for me.
Now here are a few awesome & recognisable engines.
Music to my ears.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PQqSPcryw

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, 15 November, 2018 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the Detroit Diesels. My Grandad swore he found one once that was running fine with one of the rod caps fallen into the oil pan.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Saturday, 17 November, 2018 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy.

I’ve heard many story’s like this as well.

So there has to be a good bit of truth in them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: