Silver Shadow V8Nam- Top Gear UK Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Silver Shadow V8Nam- Top Gear UK « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Carr
Experienced User
Username: carsie

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 02:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I haven't seen this story before- thought you'd like.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/uk-vietnam-classic-corvette-and-rolls-royce

Michael Carr
Experienced User
Username: carsie

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 02:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

V8nam

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 941
Posted on Tuesday, 12 June, 2018 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I clicked on the second pic I almost fell off my chair coffee in hand - The Rodina Statue of Mother Russia in Stalingrad (its bigger than The Statue of Liberty and a bloody lot more frightening!)

I then realised that there are people out there crazier than myself.

What an adventure.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Michael for posting

Anything that puts a our cars in the real world is very interesting.

Hi Vladimir good to see ya again ..

cheers Rob

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Friday, 15 June, 2018 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That was a great read Michael.
Thanks for sharing it.

Do yourselves a favour and click on the link at the bottom when you finish reading about the Corvette & Rolls-Royce and check out the lost cars of Fukushima.
Worth a look.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Saw this on the ABC news today

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-16/vintage-rolls-royce-converted-to-electric-vehicle/9869888

cheers

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 950
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Vintage Rolls Royce converted to electric vehicle" Well, it will make a good boat anchor now!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A very interesting point about Sir Henry Royce and his beginnings in the electric motor field.

With the success of the many pre WWI electric cars from the USA, I wonder if Sir Henry ever considered electric motors?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I think Sir Henry would have looked at this more than once in his lifetime however I think the limitations of battery technology at the time would have deterred him from going further. Even though cars such as the Detroit Electric were popular at the time, they were really "city cars" due to their limited range and were not particular suited to the market segment for R-R motor cars which would have valued the ability of a car to carry family and luggage from the city to their country estates.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Saturday, 16 June, 2018 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good point David.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: