Smaller Steering Wheel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Smaller Steering Wheel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
New User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2016 - 13:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1986 Bentley Turbo RL and the steering wheel is rather large for my rotund body :-)
Has anyone here changed the Steering Wheel and presumably the Boss for something smaller? I am not looking for the boy racer look so please do not think that. I just want to be a tad more comfortable behind the wheel. I will of course retain the standard wheel to keep the car as original as possible. Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Alan Ford
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2016 - 17:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What I am looking for here is the brand of wheel/boss and who stocks these preferably in NSW Australia.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 844
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 04:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nardi wheel on a Momo boss - commonly available parts from ebay and other sources of cheap parts.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan...
Would you be interested in details of the "Russian Hacksaw" workaround? No?

P.S. When Omar referred to "cheap parts" he meant the source, not Nardi!!

Omar...Love the interior shots!! Beautiful burlwood.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Christian,
Thanks mate.
That Nardi wheel actually cost $30 in the scrap yard. At one time our scrap yards were full of them. I bought maybe 4 wheels - I couldn't justify buying 8 or some crazy number.

Although this wheel is not my cup of tea - but for the sake of seeing what is available out there here is a link......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WOODEN-WOOD-RIMMED-13-7-INCH-3-SPOKE-350MM-STEERING-WHEEL-FIT-MOMO-BOSS-/400787321658?fits=Car+Make%3ARolls-Royce&hash=item5d50c9333a:g:X64AAOSwEppUOPDb

Alan Ford
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, lovely photo's ty and a nice job on the wheel, one could easily believe that comes as standard. You have certainly given me food for thought. That steering wheel was a lovely find at $30.00. Oh to be so lucky lol. Once again this forum has come good for me, it's a pleasure being here. Thanks again.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian, lol I am already on a diet since purchasing the Bentley, so far its been successful about 2 weeks in. A lot more time and willpower needs to be applied yet, it's going to take a while.
My biggest worry is I might need to go on 3 diets as I cant eat enough on one ;)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan...
No aspersions regarding diet. The alluded "fix" was the application of a hacksaw to the lower half of the steering wheel!

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2016 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahhh sorry Christian, I misread you. hahaha novel idea ;)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 846
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 02:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
You may wish to know that a slightly more modern version of your car has a titling steering wheel function. I have a brace of 96 model cars which have this feature. As soon as you switch the engine off and open the door, the steering wheel travels to the uppermost position.
May be worth considering when you upgrade from your 86 model. Is your car a carburetor version of the Turbo model or is it fuel injected? The carbby models were very difficult to tune from what I have heard. If you have one of these then you may wish to upgrade anyway. The 96 cars certainly drive beautifully.

thanks
Omar

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 05:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar if you have a nice Nardi wheel in your collection could I buy one from you for my Camargue ? I have always loved the look of these wheels with the combination of aluminium and wood. Actually, make that two wheels, as the Jaguar needs one too. Cheers Vlad

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2016 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello Omar, Yes I found out about the tilting steering wheel too late but I actually thought a Bentley would have that anyway. Yes it is the carburetor model, so sometime in the future I will look to upgrade it. I should have joined this forum before I made my purchase. I particularly like the job you did replacing your steering wheel, it looks as if it should have come standard that way, a very nice job. Can you remember the model or part number of the MOMO Boss you purchased?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 02:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
The boss that i bought came from ebay. I only paid peanuts for it because nobody actually buys these when they pop up on ebay. Be patient and use the saved search feature on ebay and one day one will come up. They are also easy to make if you have a scrap steering wheel from a destroyed car.
If things become impossible for you I may have a steering wheel that I may destroy for you to get the boss out of. You can then make a machined body in which the boss can be bolted.

Dear Vlad,
I have one wheel in the Turbo R, one in my Datsun 1600, one earmarked for my Continental and the fourth went with my Shadow when I sold it a few years ago. It never occurred to me that these things would ever be sought after. I will keep an eye on the scrap yards the next time I visit. If I find one for you I will buy it for sure.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With all due respect, why not attempt to lose a few pounds in body mass.

It need not be painful, just eat smaller meals and a 30 min walk once a day. By smaller I mean 1 slice of apple pie not 2. Some insist that diets must be bland which is pointless because you wont keep to it.

My 1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ has a Momo leather wheel which is quite small and should be cheap from a scrap yard.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 05:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I was just thinking you might buy some room if the seat went back farther. I have a 1970 RR shadow but it's farthest back position isn't that far back.

I havn't looked at it but I bet it could be done.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My parts/project T came with this Momo wheel, on a Toyota column, that was screwed in place after cutting the dash. Isotta in Adelaide supplied a boss for $75. A squirt of wrinkle black and it fits in fine. The original wheel always felt like 'ape hangers' (hi-rise motorcycle handlebars)
I could have done without the brass rivets.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2016 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Carl, thanks for your input. For what it's worth I also dislike those rivets because to me they look cheap and nasty. As I am unable to find the steering wheel I want I am considering using a black one of which there are plenty to choose from. The wheel I really like is that which is fitted to Omars car but they are very expensive to purchase new.

Hello Ross, my car is in the panel and paint shop as we speak. I am having the boot lid resprayed because for some reason the clear was lifting off of the boot lid - the rest of the paint and clearcoat is fine. I asked the guy if he could move the seat back a little, he made no promises but told me he would try. He is familiar with this model as he recently sold his RR. I think the car comes home this Friday so fingers crossed. Cheers.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, 17 October, 2016 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I went to Supercheap today to purchase some cleaning gear for the Bentley, whilst in there I asked about a steering wheel Boss. I have been unable to find the part number for the smaller wheel/boss that I need.

Mine is an 86 Bentley Turbo RL.

They didn't have the '86 on their books but they did have a number for an '88 Boss, can anyone please tell me if the '88 Boss is the same part as an '88 Boss. Thanks.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, 17 October, 2016 - 19:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan
My old Turbo was carb , I had lots of fun tuning it found that taking off lots of useless linkages made it much better.
It's not a dificult job to get the carb out of the plenum just don't drop anything down the hole!!
Mike

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, 17 October, 2016 - 22:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael. I was told that when the carby plays up on my model it can cost around $7K for a replacement IF one can be found. I am not sure how accurate that is. It was enough warning for me to look into another brand of carburetor, both Weber and Holley were mentioned, I am guessing there may be others? No mention of the manifold change but I am sure it would need to be changed too. Can you shed any light on the conversion?

Its funny you mentioned the carby because mine has an enormous flatspot but it is only noticeable if you give the car a bootfull. Driving normally as I intend to do it does not show up at all. After all what does Bentley have to prove to anyone LOL

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
I put one of my steering whhels on my 87 Spirit and then sold the spirit and put the same wheel on my 79 Shadow. Then the Shadow said goodbye to the collection and the wheel went with it.
I would say - yes the 88 boss will fit your car.

I have a 91 Turbo R which i am disassembling. The air intake system was removed and what is left is the manifold and what looks like a perfect base for a Holley carb. I bet it will take very little to put the Holley straight onto it.
Given our association through this forum I am happy to give you this manifold. All you need is to have a friend in Dubai who will carry it in their suitcase when they return to Australia. I also have a not-so-nice small wooden steering wheel that came with an old Shadow that I broke up a few years ago - you can have that too.

Omar

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Using a holley carb has been done before with success.

Ask Holley if they have a kit.

Are you removing the turbo?

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 10:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar thanks again for the info regarding the steering wheel Boss. I will put the part on order whilst looking for a decent looking wheel.
I really do appreciate your kind offer Omar but I have no friends that travel to Dubai or anywhere else for that matter. I will have to pass on the manifold and steering wheel. It's a shame but that's the reality of it.

Hello Robert, I really do want to keep the turbo if at all possible, to remove it I think would be detrimental should I ever want to sell the '86 and get something a bit later. I will look into a kit from Holley if I have to go down that path.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 16:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys/Ladies.

I live in NSW, Australia and I am having trouble finding a steering wheel Boss for my '86 Turbo RL. I believe the '88 Turbo R is the same item, probably many others fit too. Can anyone here please give me a number for the correct Boss? The sooner I get the smaller steering wheel fitted the sooner I can enjoy my pride and joy.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 874
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
I am in the UK now, as soon as I get back home I will look in my steering wheel boss drawer to see if I have a spare to lend you. You can use it until you find a replacement and then you can post it back to me. I am happy to lend it to you for a year - that should be enough time for us to come up with an alternative to the loaner. I will pay for the postage from Dubai - you pay for postage back when you are done with it.
Thanks
Omnar

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar, you most certainly have a deal there. Very kind of you to offer :-) I hope to find one as soon as possible but today's spares/aftermarket sales is not what it used to be.
I have asked staff members and of course if they don't see it in their latest catalogue they assume it doesn't exist which is all very frustrating. I truly appreciate your help Omar.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're the Best Omar.
A great man that's for sure.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Patrick, I couldn't agree more with you.
What a fantastic forum this is.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 622
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 03:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, after you get Omar's boss you could see if Kelly in Utah could replicate it in stainless for you. Given the high standard of his work his fee for making tools and parts is reasonable.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 06:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Vladimir, I will definitely look into that :-) Could be a real nice touch.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 876
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 01:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
I went to my drawer and found a Roll-Royce steering wheel boss. I will need this for my Bentley Continental in September 2017. We have bags of time to fly the part to you or to Kelly depending on what you want. If You want it so you can have one copied like it in Australia, let me know and I will post it directly to you. If you want a replica of this item made a million times more amazing than an off the shelf item, then get in touch with Kelly to arrange for him to make you a copy. If you want to go the Kelly route, let me know and I will post the boss directly to him.
Let me know how you wish to proceed. Just to be clear - I dont want any money for this - just my part back when you are done with it.
Thanks
Omar

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar. Right now I would prefer to have the Boss sent directly to me, as I am unable to drive my car 'safely' without it. I agree it's a loaner only and I will post it back to you as soon as I have found another i.e. asap. I do like the idea of a stainless unit so that is something I might look at long term. I am getting anxious to get it on the car.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll be happy to help. Omar, send me a couple of pictures so I know what we're dealing with. Aluminum could be a good option too - it's cheaper to ship and it can be painted to match your column. But I do love stainless...
dooskoop@hotmail.com

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 877
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 878
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 02:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The watch is for scale.

Dear Kelly,
Many thanks for your support.
I would like to have one more spare as this is my only spare I have at the moment.
If you made two of these (one for Alan and one for me), would you be able to let us know how much and how long it would take?
We can speed up the process by me sending you dimensions. No dimensions are critical if you already have access to a standard Shadow steering wheel.

Thanks
Omar

PS I am not in any hurry - although I think maybe Alan is.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Piece-O'-Cake, Omar. I can make these for $85 ea. What does the molded-in square key on the small diameter hub fit to? This key adds a level of difficulty but is not undo-able.
See if this drawing is close. Fill in the blanks and we can get started.
Rolls Steering Wheel hub

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 07:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Kelly, thanks for taking this task on. I am ready to purchase one at your price plus postage as soon as you have it made. It will make a huge difference and allow me to drive my Bentley which I still have not driven yet. Luckily I have a mate who drives me around in it (no he is not chauffeur) lol

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,
The 'key'on the hub is to cancel the indicators.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 15:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly Opfar, I am wondering about the horn button.
I note Omar has a nice red B and Carl seems to have something opaque as his horn button (see photo's above) but I cant make out what it is. I really like what Omar has but in Balmoral Green or similar. Do your engineering skills run that far to be able to make one? I would willingly pay the extra of course. I don't want to seem to be a pain on this because when push comes to shove I would take whatever fits :-) One last thing just came to mind, I guess the horn button would depend on the brand of aftermarket steering wheel I purchase?

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 16:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl, indicator cancelling...that makes sense.

Alan, will you need the metal horn button itself or just the plastic "B" insert - or both. I can easily make the outer horn button and polish it like chrome.
I found this little gem on ebay that should nicely fit the bill:
green bentley button
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-SET-GENUINE-BENTLEY-WHEEL-EMBLEM-GREEN-CHROME-UV42025PA-BRAND-NEW-/191951884059?hash=item2cb1394f1b:g:wFsAAOSwHoFXu0rm&vxp=mtr
I would have to have one of these buttons in hand to make the cap to fit it.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 16:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Kelly, that is absolutely perfect, I had no idea such a thing existed. I would need the horn button as well as the insert. Unfortunately the seller does NOT ship to Australia. If you can purchase it for me and you have time etc I could Paypal you some money tonight My email is herne13@bigpond.com if you wanted to make contact.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 879
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kelly,
You are such a star - can you please send me the drawing by PM (email)? I can then print it out and insert the dimensions.

I will send two sets of dimensions - one for the Momo wheel and one for the Motalita. I dont have a hub for the Motalita wheel that I have in the garage. So for me, it will be the Motalita dimensions.

Dear Alan,
Will you going for a Motalita wheel or Momo one?

Thanks
Omar

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 18:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kelly, As Omar said, what a star you are.

Dear Omar/Kelly
Looking at steering wheels available in Australia it would appear that Momo would be my best choice, they are more plentiful and they are available in 13".

Cheers
Alan

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 881
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 03:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

application/pdf
Momo Whel Adapter dims.pdf (276.8 k)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 882
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kelly,
Please do a sanity check on the numbers before you go cutting metal........
The second sheet will follow for the Motolita Wheel, but that was not urgent, so it will happen later.
The Motoloita wheel dimensions will mostly be the same as the Momo one apart form dimensions F, N and E

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, that's fantastic. I might have a question or two later but that's enough to get started.
We could do all this off the forum, but let's show how the sausage is made, shall we?

Alan, have you managed to find a new wheel? It will help if you have the wheel and horn button in hand because I will probably need some measurements. I can probably modify any new horn button you acquire to fit the new Bentley badge or I can make a new one from scratch. Let's see what you come up with first.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 05:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

horn button gentlemen?????
look at this beauty....................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-Royce-Hupenknopf-Horn-Button-Silver-Shadow-Corniche-Spirit-Cloud-Wraith-/351893249106?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

If the parties involved approve, I would be very appreciative if you could document the manufacture of the bosses in this forum both to preserve it for posterity as well as encouraging our other DIY members to do the same.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 08:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar, The R-R horn button is a beautiful thing.
Very nice indeed.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
I think it would be great to have the whole story documented. This is truly a creative use of the forum - to solve a problem where distance is no object. There are 3 countries involved here! And if the horn button gets bought from Germany then that will be the fourth country.

John Beech
New User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 02 November, 2016 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Losing weight isn't easy in my experience. For me it involves what Robert Noel Reddington suggests, e.g. exercise, smaller portions, and unsaid but critical, some patience. That said, it's not easy and in my case, walking results in extreme pain in my knees. Thus, I substituted riding a bicycle for purpose of aerobic exercise to improve my conditioning. My first ride was about 4.5 miles, took 30 minutes, and left me knackered. Now I ride 12 miles routinely in about 55 minutes and while I'm sweating like a pig when I arrive my breath is very soon under control and my heartbeat returns to normal in about 10 minutes. This means the aerobic exercise is definitely working to improve my conditioning. Moreover, I try very hard to ride 6 days a week. Fortunately, I've discovered my 'ride time' is perfect for sorting my thoughts. Occasionally some nasty person will make a comment about my size while I'm out and about but I have a thick skin and try not to let it bother my spirit. Also, I live in Central Florida where it's nearly perfectly flat and thus, I'm not huffing and puffing my way up hills, which means I can concentrate on thinking while I'm doing my exercise. In fact, after about a month it become a routine and now is a rather valuable time of my day.

As for the diet part of the equation, I first tried a small notebook for keeping track of what went down my pie hole. However, if you have a smart phone a better option proved to be an app called MyNetDiary (yes, it's all run together and capitalized as I've shown). Here's a link - http://www.mynetdiary.com - and there's a free version plus a pro version that costs a few bucks. However, unless you have health issue related to diabetes, for example, the free version is fine because while the pro version allows for entries on things like salt, calcium, etc., I found these to be more complication than necessary. And FWIW, there are many other apps exactly like it but this one works well enough. Anyway, using the app means keeping track of caloric input becomes, certainly not effortless, but considerably easier because if you're anything like me, over time you discover you eat variations of the same meals over and over. E.g. eggs for breakfast, perhaps a few rashers of bacon on weekends, rice, beans, chicken, and salads for dinner, etc. My point is this; the app's 'Favorites' feature makes entering these repetitive entries very easy. Also, because the app has the ability to scan bar codes on the side of a can or the back of a box, plus an extensive database, it quickly becomes much easier to keep track of your calories. All you need to add is an inexpensive postal scale (one in the kitchen and maybe another on the dining table) plus some measuring cups and you're set. Remember, you cannot affect what you cannot measure.

Finally, weight loss is a very, very personal subject. And like you I am rather 'rotund' but I offer this commentary due to real world experience. I started my quest about two years ago at 285lbs and am now down to 235 (with another 50 pounds to go). What's this mean to you? Simply this; it means a) I know it can be done (and Robert, it requires the discipline of 1/2 slice of pie instead of a full slice, or even zero when I can muster the will), and b) that because I'm no better than you, you can too! However, beyond the will to succeed it does require a bit of patience, time, and the willingness to stick to it.

Meanwhile, Tootsie's steering wheel is still rather close for me as well (once the seat position is correct for the length of my legs). Thus, I too would like one of Keith's steering-wheel adapters so I may search out a wheel more suitable to my present girth. My only observation is a 13" diameter may be a tad on the small side if the need arises to muscle the steering (in the eventuality the engine dies and the speed gets low) so a 14" may be a better option. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Still a fat ass but slowly working my way down

Alan Dibley
Experienced User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 00:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

QUOTE: "My only observation is a 13" diameter may be a tad on the small side if the need arises to muscle the steering (in the eventuality the engine dies and the speed gets low) so a 14" may be a better option. Does anyone have an opinion on this?"

A few years ago I had to drive through busy traffic to get home after the ignition switch failed, killing the engine. It was OK if it was held in exactly the right position, but......

The effort needed to steer - especially at low speed - was considerable with a standard diameter wheel (1971 Bentley T) and I imagine with anything smaller even more of a nightmare. Of course it failed most often on roundabouts or tight corners (there's a law about that).

Alan D.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 01:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
The same has happened to me in the past and fighting these beasts is very very hard work. Your T1 may not have been half as hard as the rack and pinion of the later models.

Dear John,
what a superb story. You have encouraged me to start riding my bike again. I am at least 10Kg heavier than i ought to be.
Your post is excellent.

Omar

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello John, having just helped Alan select a 13" wheel, here is an eBay search with a bunch of filters applied to only show 14" (350mm) wood wheels:
https://goo.gl/RZq36Y
There are a bunch of nice ones to pick from.
I will certainly put you on the list for hub adapters. I ordered Alan's wheel today because for the first adapter I make, I want to have all the parts in hand.
The adapters should all be the same after that except for the wheel mounting bolt hole circle.
I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 07:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John Beech

congratulations at losing weight.

I have an incurable illness which makes me lose weight whether I want to or not. If I attempt to put weight on by eating more I become painfully ill so I eat less than I should. I understand perfectly how much effort a diet requires because I dont eat enough I am permanently hungery which is annoying.

Co-incidental I went to the dietitian today and she said that diet is straight forward energy equation. The human body is designed to store energy in the form of fat when theres a famine the fat gets used up, then when the fat runs out the muscles start to get used.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello John, congratulations on the weight lost so far :-) You are right it's not easy and even harder for those who cannot exercise due to 'other' medical problems. I have cut back on my intake and also to a degree what I take in. Its early days yet so I must battle on. I hear what you guys are saying about arm strength being needed! depending on where you are located you might or might not know how heavy a Torana gets when it has 8" front wheels/tyres. Australians may know about this. I really need to go down to a 13" steering wheel. Maybe in time I might be able to put a nice 14" steering wheel on. Thats the plan anyway.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Thursday, 03 November, 2016 - 12:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John

Congratulations on your weight loss. As someone who used to live just down the road from you, in Tampa, I can only imagine how grueling your 12 mile rides must be in the Florida heat and humidity. I can only assume you are a very early riser.

Geoff

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 888
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 02:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kelly,
The Motalita wheel boss dimensions are the same as the momo one but dimension E is 82.55mm, F is 114.3mm and N is 101.6. The motolita has 9 holes at the 4" PCD and these are 1/4" diameter holes.
Thanks
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 889
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Kelly,
When you are ready to get paid please let me know.
Thanks
Omar

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar, I have ordered Alan's new wheel and horn button so I will have something real to work with, but they have not arrived yet. I'm going to make sure everything fits my column first. I'll detail the job as I progress.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Kelly and Omar.

Great to hear things are progressing. :-)

John Beech
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 12:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How kind of everybody expressing such nice wishes for my continued perseverance at losing weight, thank you one and all!

Robert Noel, a neighbor has Crohn's Disease and suffers terribly with eating. He's wasting away. It's horrible!

Kelly, that's a fabulous search! I will peruse it more closely later but many thanks. Meanwhile, I have a wood Nardi wheel on my other car, which I dismounted to position in Tootsie to check whether the size is what I have in mind (Tootsie is presently equipped with a 17" wheel). Anyway, it's a 15" wheel and feels about right. However, I am also thinking I might prefer a leather covered 3-spoke wheel instead of wood because a) Tootsie's wood is at an incredible standard (like new), b) and I'm not too certain I would like the reddish of mahogany in conjunction with the walnut, and c) the FL sun Geoff alluded to can be a killer and though the car sleeps in my air conditioned garage, when I get out and about running errands it'll be miserably hot. Anyway, I did notice one 14" wheel in walnut in your search (an off brand offered for a very reasonable price) but really believe 15" is the better compromise for 'me' between being large enough to ease the task of having the muscle it and being able to clear my belly.

Geoff, yes I suffer the early-riser affliction. Not as bad as my father or mother who are both awake as early as 3-4AM but my 5:30AM is plenty too early to suit me! Frankly, I 'love' to sleep in but very, very rarely manage it (even with the aid of a small scotch in the evenings). However, yes I leave earlyish (8AM during daylight savings so as to not depart in the dark). We switch to standard time on Sunday so I'll soon be leaving around 7AM, instead. I cannot overemphasize how much my time riding means for my mental well being.

John Beech
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 22:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Went poking around on eBay last night and did something impulsive, I found and purchased a Rolls-Royce Nardi wood steering wheel for Tootsie.
RR-Nardi-overview
. . . and yes I'm well aware of the pitfalls of being impulsive but Lynn doesn't know yet ;>)

Anyway, it's not NOS (new old stock) but instead, is a used Nardi steering wheel, which was represented as having come off a Rolls-Royce motorcar.
RR-steering-wheel-6760
Anyway, I believe the 6760 stamped on the rear correlates with a serial number of the car from which it was removed and since Tootsie is SRX6816, it's also probably correct for period (perhaps within a year, or so, of Tootsie's serial number). I'll keep the black plastic one as a memento (and on the off chance her next caretaker is a stickler for details).

While the wheel's condition is rather less than pristine, that can be put right with a bit of elbow grease. Also, I'm not certain the black paint is even supposed to be there, does anyone know?
RR-E-Nardi

Finally, while there were no details regarding diameter, my feelings at the time I was negotiating was it's a proper RR steering wheel, meaning I can live with the 17" diameter (this, presuming it's the same as that of the black plastic unit).
RR-horn-button
In any case, I wanted it and made the offer knowing it was probably as large as the one presently on Tootsie. The offer has been accepted so now I just wait. Last thing, if it's of large diameter this may help provide a little more motivation for me to loose weight.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 23:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice wheel choice John. I am of the same view, I am but a caretaker of my Bentley for the now. The old steering wheel will be stored carefully and handed to the new owner/caretaker when I upgrade one day. I have no plans to upgrade but with all things it does have a price attached to it.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 890
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2016 - 02:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

nice one John!!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 638
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2016 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yep
That's a lovely wheel John.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,
I just remembered my initial attempt at getting a non-standard wheel onto a black 1989 Spur when I was a much younger man. I remembered that I had to make adjustment plates to move the wheel further away from the gear lever as it is possible for a boss/wheel combination to result in too small a gap between the wheel and gear lever when mounted. In this case a spacer must be used as it will be too dangerous if your knuckles flick the gear lever as you are maneuvering the car. The spacer is a very simple conclusion that you can reach upon assembly - you may not need one - but if you do, its really easy to make one and to know how thick it should be.

But here is the good news.
The angle of the steering wheel tilt is such that any spacers will result in added clearance between wheel and belly. This would therefore mean you can fit a larger diameter wheel and compensate for it using spacers. No need for 13" wheels in my opinion.

Omar

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 - 12:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

The jag I just got is a 91 and has a factory Momo that I think is pretty small compared to a RR.

Pop out the center cap and put in an RR one.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, 09 November, 2016 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, I wasn't having much luck finding a decent steering wheel and even worse luck trying to find a steering wheel Boss in rural New South Wales, Au. After discussions with Omar and Kelly Opfar Kelly is making a Boss for me and others may may want them and Kelly was good enough to source a steering wheel which will take the custom horn button he is also making. That wheel you show looks a little similar to the wheel I chose where the timber finishes just over the spokes. If mine looks like yours I will be very happy. Cheers.

John Beech
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, 23 November, 2016 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning (well, it is for me, at least),

I received my steering wheel from the eBay vendor for the second time. Twice? Yes, the first time they either made a genuine mistake or tried to pull a fast one. How? By sending a brand new Nardi wheel with an "I don't know what kind" adapter. Also, it was fitted with a Nardi logo on the horn button.

I contacted the vendor and they responded with an "Oops, sorry, we made a mistake." and a promise to try to find the correct wheel. When I said I had downloaded the pictures and specifically wanted the wheel with the 6720 serial number (which is within 100 of Tootsie's), they said they didn't know whether they still had it available. However, when I said I'd file a complaint with eBay for deceptive sales practices, they suddenly found it. What possible reason for the drama is beyond me.

Anyway, I received it yesterday and while I haven't tried to install it (yet), it looks great. One small quibble, the black paint had been stripped off and the spokes polished. Their explanation being they were selling it for someone and that fellow had, unbeknownst to them, done this. This made me a little bit suspicious so I examined it closely (but I didn't really mind because I'd intended to do the same anyway as long as it is the original wheel). Why suspicious? Just because of all the song and dance.

Once it arrived I compared it to the new one, which I still had on hand (I returned it with the shipping label included with the replacement wheel yesterday). As for the wheel, it appears ever so slightly different from the brand-new Nardi they originally sent. To begin, it's slightly larger in diameter (perhaps by 3/8 to 1/2 inch). Moreover, there is slightly visible wear and thus, I am persuaded it is an RR-original wheel. This, in part because the horn button and wheel adapter are vintage and perfectly match the photos. Speaking of which, a photo of the wheel to follow once I mount it.

Note; the overall diameter is only a bit smaller than the 17" wheel presently fitted to the car. At 15-1/4" (call it 387mm), when presented to the original, it just barely fits within the existing wheel's diameter. This means manhandling it in the eventuality the engine dies should be within my capabilities (especially if adrenaline is involved).

Just thought I'd share an update.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, 24 November, 2016 - 00:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, Kelly Opfar has been good enough to not only manufacture a Boss to suit a Bentley Turbo but he has also purchased a woodrim steering wheel for me and followed up on my request for a green B as the horn button.
Yes its a small wheel but for now it will do nicely.
Can't wait to see it and fit it but there is no rush apart from me being excitedly anxious lol BTW Phil has concerns about such a small wheel on a Bentley but also realizes it's the way to go for me at this point in time.

Matt McLockley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 207.144.183.145
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Omar,

Does/Did the MOMO boss have a number stamped anywhere on it? Some of the MOMO boss kits have a number like K something, C something, or A something but some of the older ones may not have. Nardi supplies one that looks the same/similar that is part # 4370.95.4101

If it's of any relevance to anyone, most aftermarket steering wheels tend to use M5x0.8 thread pitch, generally countersunk screws (some US made models use 10-32 screws). Moto-Lita uses M5x0.8 screws but their boss kits have thru holes rather than threaded holes (they have a nut and a lock washer securing the steering wheel to the boss kit)

(Message approved by david_gore)

Matt McLockley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Guys.

In reference John's post regarding the non-NOS steering wheel, the number on the hub adapter/boss kit isn't actually a serial number. It's the model number from Nardi-Personal's old hub adapter guide. 6760 from their old guide corresponds to an adapter fitting Rolls Royce All Models 1958-1965. It is no longer produced by Nardi (I'm not sure if they even have the tooling for it anymore)

Matt McLockley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 13:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Alan / Kelly,

Do you have pics of the new boss kit?

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 15:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Matt, Kelly sent me a photo of the wheel and boss under progress, I didn't put them up yet as I figure Kelly will when the job is completed. I didn't want to steal his thunder - so to speak :-)

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 16:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Everything takes longer than you think it will. That's my new motto.
Here are a couple of teaser pics taken a few days ago.
steering wheel
steering wheel hub

The "B" button is just sitting in place for now. I am currently working on the new horn button that will cover the screws and inset the button. Stay tuned for a couple of days and I'll post the whole thing.

David Gore

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Your work can only be described as awesome.

You are worthy of being designated as a master craftsman in every sense of the title.

The style of the wheel is perfect; both elegant and contemporary without being "over the top" like many after-market steering wheels I have seen over the years.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David I totally agree with what you have said. I feel lucky and privileged to have Kelly take this task on. I am extremely pleased with the job as we see right now and its only going to get better, now how lucky am I :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 736
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents
It's been great watching this project develop.
I can't wait to see the finished product in situ.

Kelly,
I fully agree with David. You are truely the best at what you do, and the fact that you just enjoy doing makes it even better.

Well done mate.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 926
Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2016 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Matt,
The number 8100 is stamped on the boss but no letters. Two other markings are also on the boss and these read - "momo" and" top" .

Dear Kelly
You are a true craftsman. The value of my car will go up with that hand made boss in it.

Take care
Omar

Mark Luft
New User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2016 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys, I am so jealous. That steering wheel, and the stainless boss will bring the car over the top. Kelly, I bow to your workmanship. I wish I could change my steering wheel. Unfortunately, my 93 has an airbag. Alan, I have the same issue as you, a little too large for the Bentley. My solution was to have the front seat moved back 2 inches. This works well for me. Adding the tilt wheel was cost prohibitive. But I wish I could have a wood rimmed wheel, very classy. Please keep everyone posted, and I'll be watching.
Mark

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2016 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark, I too have had my seat moved back 50mm / 2". I live in a small rural village in NSW, Au. but I was very lucky to have a RR technician open a workshop less than 25 kilometers from me. It was he that knew how to relocate the drivers seat back. Now I can get behind the wheel but the smaller steering wheel will make life so much easier for me not to mention improving the aesthetics of the car. The old wheel will be stored away to be sold with the car one day when I can perhaps trade up to something a little newer. My car is an '86 Turbo RL.
(yep the carburetor model that went to the Japanese market and then on to Australia).

Matt McLockley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2016 - 14:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to agree with David.

Kelly, even at the stage it is in, that boss kit looks like a work of art. I can't wait to see the finished result

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 439
Posted on Saturday, 03 December, 2016 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John...
If in the end you decide that the 17" steering wheel is just too large, I would possibly be interested in it as my Cloud I uses that size. Although I rather like the standard black plastic, it is an upgrade that I would consider. If you ever decide to sell, do remember my interest. Thanks.

Matt McLockley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2016 - 16:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Kelly,

I'm not sure if it would help or not, but it would seem a lot of manufacturers of boss kits seem to use roll pins or dowel pins for turn cancellation pegs (like NRG uses the dowel pin style here [http://www.getnrg.com/image/cache/Hub/Hubs/SRK-140H-RD/SRK-140H-RD-04-780x700-780x700.jpg] and Moto-Lita uses the roll pin style here [https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/media/1175/b25d.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&quality=80&width=1800&height=1800])

Naturally a turn cancellation peg made part of the boss is better but if it becomes problematic, the dowel/roll pin may be a solution for you. In either case, I'm sure the boss kit will look great as it already does in the pictures you uploaded. Keep up the good work :-)

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 14:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well gentlemen, I finally finished Alan's wheel. Here's a little rundown of the production process.
The first thing I had to do was determine the spline arrangement. I was thrown off a little bit at first because the steering wheel in John Beech's photo above has 48 splines. Apparently there was a spline change early on because my car ('76 SRE24700) and Alan's '86 Turbo both have 36 splines.
To cut the splines, I had to order a cutting tool and make a copper electrode.
cutting the electrode

This electrode is used in an Electrical Discharge Machine to remove the material via rapid electrical discharges or sparks. The electrode is fed in and the internal splines are created. This picture is taken after the fact because all the fun happens while the whole arrangement is submerged in dielectric fluid.
EDMing the splines

Once the splines were created, I chucked the hub in a CNC to cut the external profile.
hub in the CNC

I could have bored the recess on the CNC but I was missing a couple of dimensions, so I pulled it out and did the rest of the machining on a manual lathe.
hub on a manual lathe

Matt McLockley was right on the money about using a dowel pin for the indicator cancellation. My stock wheel had just such a pin. I sacrificed my stock steering wheel for easy transport. I would have felt bad about it but it had been previously taco'd by some vandal who tried to remove the wheel without the proper puller.
stock hub

Here is the bottom of the hub before painting with a stock style dowel.
hub bottom

Here it is with a fresh coat of black paint:
painted bottom

Here is the top side. I've drilled and tapped a hole to attach the ground wire for the horn. The steering wheel is attached with 6 countersunk screws but I also drilled and tapped two 1/4"-20 holes to allow a puller to be used.
hub top
hub top 2

Set the steering wheel in place.
steering wheel set in place

attach the horn button and set it in place...
attaching the horn button

I used the horn button mechanism that came with the steering wheel because it works. I did make a new piece for the top of it out of aluminum so I could have something solid to tap some threads in to.
horn button in place

I made a brass retaining ring that secures the horn mechanism so it doesn't rotate and has external threads to allow the new horn trim ring to thread on.
brass retaining ring

I made a stainless pedestal to screw on to the horn mechanism that would hold the Bentley "B" button.
horn pedestal

The final touch is to screw on the new stainless trim ring and drop the new "B" button in place.
finished wheel

Here is a picture I sent Alan earlier this week to show the side profile. I'd primed the hub but I hadn't yet painted it;
side profile

That was fun! What's next?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 14:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW!!!!!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I, and others keep saying Kelly, your a true artist mate.

Love your work.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think it's just gorgeous. I showed the photo to a fastidious car buff mate I have and he thought it was the best job he has seen. I think Omar sums it up nicely with WOW :-) It truly is a work of art.

David Gore

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 18:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am fortunate to have seen the work of many master craftsmen in various trades and professions over the years thanks to my involvement in industry and the opportunity to visit many workplaces inaccessible to the general public.

I have no hesitation in nominating Kelly as one of the best I have ever seen thanks to his knowledge, skill and attention to detail which has been evident in every item he has given us the privilege of viewing through this forum.

Thank you for giving me and all other members of our forum the privilege of seeing and admiring perfection in an age where quality and skill is not given the recognition it rightfully deserves.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 942
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hear Hear David

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 19:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed, well said David :-)

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just wish there was more like Kelly.

Richard.

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Outstanding!

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 374
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2016 - 21:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brilliant !
Mark

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done, Kelly, and nicely photographed in order to show the development process plus the back story. The information the 6760 is not a serial number is disappointing, but does bring up a question of the number of splines I'll find when I remove the factory wheel and makes me aware I may need your adapter after all. Would you kindly PM the contact information, please? Or directly via email: info AT genesishobby DOT com

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Very seldom do parts added to a Bentley or RR top the quality, but thus one surely does.

There is a a problem though. Alan isn't going to want to get finger prints on it!

He will just have to wear glives I guess.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 01:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

Just out of curiosity, were the splines on the original wheel broached or die cast around a mandral?

If all goes right I'll never see the hub on my car's wheel.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 02:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly

Thanks for putting the pics up. Gifted work.

Re: The steering wheel is attached with 6 countersunk screws but I also drilled and tapped two 1/4"-20 holes to allow a puller to be used.

I've been checking out the photo, No 8 from the top. How did you position the holes so accurately. A ruler and centerpunch? A template? A marking out table? I can see it's a particularly difficult thing to drill accurately, with plenty of opportunity to destroy the whole part. I'm interested in how you did this.

Geoff

Jeff Young
Prolific User

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 03:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

While I don’t know how Kelly did it, a common way would be to chuck the part in a horizontal indexer, set a height gauge with a scribe in it to the centre height, scribe one side, and then index & scribe the other five.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LOL Ross, in a way you are correct. I had a very shiny steering wheel on my Torana, and one day whilst cleaning the car I managed to put a tiny scratch on the polished part of the head of the wheel (terminology? ) No one noticed but I always knew it was there.
I have already told myself this will not happen to the new wheel for Benny.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Friends, thanks for all the kind words. It means a lot to me. I'm pretty sure this is the best forum on the internet.

Ross, I can't tell how the splines were made in the stock hub. Precision casting is capable of making splines like that today, but I don't now how long that technology has been around. The internal splines seem the same color and I don't see any tool marks, however, the taper is almost certainly machined. The hub is made from cast zinc or pot metal or white metal around a steel frame that extends to the spokes and through the rim.

Geoff, I drilled and tapped the holes on a vertical mill very much like this one:
Lagun mill

Jeff Young is on the right track with the indexer. I chucked the hub in an indexing spacer like this one mounted to the table.
indexing spacer
I chucked the hub in the indexer jaws, then used a co-ax indicator to find the center of the bore. Co-ax indicators are fantastic. They allow you to locate the center of an object by sweeping the ID or OD of a part with different probe attachments. With the indicator mounted in a chuck or a collet, the spindle can be rotated - even under power - and the table axes can be adjusted. When the needle runs steady, you've found the center of the the object.
coax indicator
Using the digital read out on the mill, I moved the table one half of the bolt hole circle to one side of the hub. Then the indexer is rotated 60 degrees at a time to complete the bolt circle.

The only thing left is for Alan to post some pics when he gets it installed.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazing stuff Kelly,

We all need to visit and come to work with you like school kids.
Im sure we would all learn many things on that day.

The night would be a blast as well

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have no worries guys I will post photo's of Kelly's work as soon as I get the wheel and Boss on Benny.

I think it's going to be a tossup as to which arrives first, the steering wheel setup or my car.
About 2 weeks ago I went to bring Benny home and I had my first drive which was a quick trip around the block. However upon return to the workshop Phil had a quick look under the bonnet to find another niggling problem. The accelerator pump started leaking so it was to be another 2 weeks or so before it is ready to bring home (parts from the UK). I reckon the 2 weeks is close so I am expecting a phone call any day now. Can't wait for that to happen. All in all since I purchased the car Phil has had it a lot more than me. I think my lesson here is patience, something I am not good at. :-)

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2016 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff and Kelly

So a ruler and centerpunch were not used - lol.

Thanks for the explanations. Fascinating for non-engineers like myself.

I wonder how bobbles are made.

Geoff

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2016 - 09:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Another take on the patience thing, is some people wait their entire lives for a car that nice and never get one. You just have to wait a month.

I also had to google Torana. That looks like all kinds of fun. Rear wheel drive and takes a gm v8, nice. Maybe it's like the USA Chevy Vega (same sort of v8 "fits" in rwd goodness).

Look forward to pictures of that wheel in the car.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly, Omar, Patrick et al.
My steering wheel and boss kit has just arrived :-)
It really is an awesome work of art. I am still unpacking it (it was packed extremely well, thanks Kelly).

Still no car as yet to attach it to, fingers crossed I get a phone call today or tomorrow if I am to have it home before Christmas.

Ross, You are correct when you say some people wait all their lives to own something as nice as a Bentley. I really do feel privileged to own such a beautiful thing.
Photo's to follow when I get it mounted.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

We are chomping at the bit, so to speak to see this work of art in place.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 967
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys....................
This Kelly chap is wasted not being the head of Rolex or Patek Phillipe.

what a true artist and engineer.

I will not steal his thunder regarding the job he is doing for me - my goodness is it ever amazing?

It will make my Continental look stunning when i fit it into that car.

Wait till you see the job.....

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A bit of a mystery developed recently when Kelly wrote for me to check the number of splines on my Silver Shadow steering wheel because he counted 48-splines in the wheel adapter of the one I purchased off eBay. So today I visited a friend and carried the Nardi wheel with me (the one which has #6760 stamped into the back of the hub as pictured above). Turns out it actually fits a Silver Ghost instead of my Silver Shadow. This because, by coincidence, he had the steering wheel off his Silver Ghost, which made it easy to offer mine up. It slipped precisely into place. Mystery resolved.

David Gore

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

You have now caused me a great increase in anxiety trying to think of whatever it could be

I await the photographs with great interest.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 08:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ditto

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 17:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At great risk of being oversold by the good Dr. Shams, I present his finished hub.
The first pic is a more direct answer to Geoff's earlier question of how the bolt circle is drilled. It is simply chucked on a rotating spacer on a mill. There is a countersink in the drill chuck that was used to deburr the thread openings.
on the spacer

Here is the bolt hole circle as showed from the steering wheel side. You can see that I added a tenth hole directly opposite the top hole to easily facilitate using a 2 slot puller or a 3 slot puller.
steering wheel side

This is the back side of the hub showing the cancelling pin.
backside

Omar is using a Moto Lita wheel which has a large 9 hole bolt circle. For this reason, his hub has only a 1/4" diameter reduction from end to end. I could have made a straight taper or even a single parabolic radius but that would never do for our good friend Omar. I programmed a very subtle, super slinky concave/convex radius on the diameter. It is difficult to capture it in pictures. This first shot was taken before I polished it. It has just been sanded with wet/dry 600 grit paper on the lathe.
side profile

This is with the preliminary polish done. I haven't finished the final full color buffing yet.
shiny profile
Here's one more so you can see my dog in the reflection curled up on the lower left.
shiny profile2

I'm sure FS will give me a discount for the free plug, right?
I'm as excited as everybody else to see these hubs installed!

Jeff Young
Prolific User

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 19:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks fantastic!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, 26 December, 2016 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am now looking at that run-of-the-mill production-line Motolita wheel and am thinking - will this wheel do the hub justice? luckily the car being a convertible will be able to show off the wheel and hub better.

The car is a good 6 months away from being ready so we will have to be patient to see it in place.

Kelly - you are a true master craftsman. That sexy curve - as subtle as it actually is, is a wonderful feature.

Thanks for making this hub for me.
Omar

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, no photo's as yet because Benny is still in the workshop.
Items left are 4 new tyres possibly Cooper. The old ones although good are the wrong rating for such a heavy car.
Wheel alignment.
A/C unit might be be getting checked out about now.

The good news is the carby has been sorted and no sign of the flat spot Benny had.
Given many businesses are in vacation mode it could be around another 2 weeks before Benny comes home.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's great news Alan.

I think some of us are keener than you to see the baby up and running and eating up the miles.

Fantastic about the carby mate.
It can be difficult to get them right, that's for sure.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 14:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,
Not long now.

Kelly,
What kind of dog do you have? Looks like a lab in the reflection

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's Jax, the happiest dog in the world. Mostly black Lab with a little Pit mixed in. He's everybody's best friend.
jax1
If anybody want me to bore their face off, ask me about Rolls Royces or my dog.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 20:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely dog. I think dog people are awesome as are their dogs.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 23:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, in a lot of cases people wish they were as good as their dogs.

Case in point.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, 29 December, 2016 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly,

I hope you let him ride along. Our current dog (black lab) loves riding in the RR.

Nothing beats the looks when you drive by with a dog hanging out the window slobbering on the brightwork!

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, I always strive to be the man my dog thinks I am. Anyway, speaking of dogs, Maggie's mine and she's so loved that instead of risking her becoming a projectile (in case of accident) she has her own seat in the car.
Special dog rates a special way of carriage
- My special dog rates a special way of carriage

Yes, some view this arrangement as little more than torture and somehow unfair to the dog (who would love to hang her face out the window). Thing is a state trooper friend has shared more than one story regarding the results of the family pooch being unsecured (on both animal and passengers). The results aren't pretty. Especially the case of a passenger left paralyzed from the neck down as a consequence of the family pet hitting her in the side of the head in during an accident.

Jason Howard
Yet to post message
Username: bminsc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

What was your friend's model year on the Silver Ghost? From what I could find, it would seem that Rolls Royce (and their Bentley counterparts) used the 48 splines for the earlier models (probably around the years suggested by Matt) and 36 splines for the later models (presumably until they started putting in airbags...)

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, 01 January, 2017 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason,
John said Silver Ghost, but he meant Silver Cloud.

Silver Cloud Nardi

Kelly

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, 06 January, 2017 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, Smaller steering wheel update!

No photo's as yet of the steering wheel Boss that Kelly Opfar made but when I tried to drive it away something caused the carby to stick wide open.
Phil had tested the car before he rang me and all seemed fine.

Anyway nothing can be done now until next week. I was glad it happened at the workshop rather than somewhere in town because it could have been a disastrous ending for me and or another road user.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, 06 January, 2017 - 19:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Wow mate, your a very lucky man.
Unlucky that you're not getting your car back of course.

What a saga it has turned into.

We will all be very interested to know what was at fault.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, 07 January, 2017 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My good friend here described Benny's problem as a 'failure to launch'. This was after I explained to him these vehicles do not break down they simply fail to proceed ;) lol
He is the guy that named my car Benny.....

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 992
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My hub arrived today!!!
Wow!!!
what a masterpiece.
it will be the most valuable accessory on whichever car i fit it to.
Great job Kelly - now that has to be the best understatement for 2017.
The customs duty was all of $3.00...... I can live with that.....

I have now ordered a suitable horn push button to finish off the wheel.
When installed I will take photos, but that can be many months down the road.

Thanks again Kelly.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 07:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news Omar.
Best Christmas present ever!

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2017 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm so glad it arrived safely. Make sure you let us all see it when it's installed.
Kelly

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 12:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a RR steering wheel being redone in wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fSzbIH3mzA

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 12:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A lot of technique and a few tools required but it is a mighty fine finish when completed. Good video.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2017 - 13:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes,

Super shiny.

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I went to their website, and they can redo an airbag steering wheel with wood overlay. I may look into that.
www.rau-autowood.com

John Beech
Prolific User

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 01:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Even amongst owners of Rolls Royce automobiles there's a hierarchy because, as Orwell wrote, some animals are more equal than others. Add to this the old saw about who you know being more important than what you know and it means this bit of information may hold meaning. Basically, if you're the sort to recognize custom jewelry at a glance, or appreciate the significance of custom workmanship, allow me to share news about an opportunity that recently came my way.

We all know Kelly Opfar does beautiful work, right? Well folks, he's done it again. This time with a custom cloisonné horn button assembly (and note the tasteful polished brass ring surround). Once inset into a polished aluminum assembly, one that complements his steering wheel adapter, the result is gorgeous. Anyway, he's only made a tiny number of these and if you dilly-dally you'll miss out. This, because he mentioned these are at best, something of a break even proposition for him (they became a labor of love but he must soon rededicate his time to things, which remunerate him appropriately so it's my distinct impression that once they're gone, they're gone). My advice is to call 801-897-1324 and get on his waiting list (I have zero monetary interest).

Last thing, if you're unfamiliar with the term cloisonné, look it up on Google because it's an ancient technique often used for jewelry and art.

Tasteful custom Opfar steering wheel adapter with cloisonné horn button

- Custom RR steering wheel adapter with exquisite cloisonné horn button.

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 02:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Flippin' 'eck, that's gorgeous!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 02:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i will sum this up in one word gentlemen......................................................... Jewellery!!!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your spot on Omar.
Stunningly beautiful.

Kelly, you are just amazing mate!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Thursday, 05 April, 2018 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Thursday, 05 April, 2018 - 03:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Kelly................

Mine must be the only Bentley Continental with a Motolita wheel.......

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Thursday, 05 April, 2018 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit Leus
Grand Master
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, 05 April, 2018 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is absolutely gorgeous !

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Simply stunning Omar,
Can’t wait to see it in place.

Maybe with you behind that amazing wheel?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2018 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As soon as I get the car it will go in it.
Right now the steering wheel has been disassembled in order to shave some metal off the boss. It was too well made and weighs a ton. We will be removing maybe 1 or 2 Kilograms of weight from it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: