Purple Rolls Royce Silver Spirit and ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Purple Rolls Royce Silver Spirit and its Mystery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 857
Posted on Saturday, 07 April, 2018 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jetsetters, on the dashboard on this car I bought about a year ago is a plaque with a RR emblem on it that says "Made Especially for Philip Mountbatten"

Most of us would know the name Mountbatten as being part of the English Royal Family. I was intrigued to know if a Mountbatten had actually ordered the car with its magnificent deep metallic purple that appears black at nighttime.

When I googled Mountbatten I became suspicious that the plaque was a falsehood.

Then I ordered from Hunt House the build file.

The contents of the file showed clearly the plaque is definitely bs.

SCAZS0001CCH04092 was ordered new through HR Owen in London and the purchaser was a Mr. Ahmed Al-Khandari 4 Glocester Gate London and delivered on 10 May, 1982.

The car was originally Masons Black with Magnolia interior. Hmmm nice.

The car has been completely repainted inside the door jams, the lot. Not an inexpensive operation for certain. The interior is now beige and in 95 percent good condition. Again a huge expense.

So for $10,000 AUD I felt quite a bargain. By no means a perfect car eg scratches on the boot lid, a broken boot latch and rear light and a shot mineral oil braking system ie all the calipers are leaking.To boot its been converted to LPG and the petrol tank removed which is useless to me as I am 200 kilometers from an LPG source. Fortunately the carburettors are are still there.

But the car drives beautifully. I drove it 200 kilometers plus and 57 kilometers over my harrowing dirt/gravel road and it proved to be the most precise vehicle I have ever driven.

The chap I bought it off of claimed it was a 1984 model and so did the Auctioneer he appears to have bought it from. Naturally, he tried to claim the vehicle had been in his family for 9 years so to reward him I phoned him before I paid the residue of $9000 to inform him I wanted my deposit back and managed to get him to flip out -- ha ha I got quite a laugh out of that.

I figure when I have the time I can get this car registered easily and bring the mechanicals up to spec.

A neat motor for the money though.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: