The Mr Sheen Effect Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » The Mr Sheen Effect « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 17:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got caught in a bad rain storm today.

Drove for 2 hours in very heavy rain before I stopped to get petrol to snap the 2 images below.

It took 10 minutes to chamois off the car.
I use the chaomois in a draping/sweeping action by holding it at each corner and throw it over the car like throwing a sheet on a bed, then just pull the chamois along the car. I don't rub the chamois, or apply pressure to it, and it simply does not leave water marks at all.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Lucky you avoided the storm cells with the hail this afternoon.......

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not wrong David.

When we got home and saw the news, we were quite shocked at how close the hail was to where we were.

Here are some pics from the storm today.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, 18 February, 2017 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those hailstones are crazy! I'm surprised there are not more people injured from them.

Regarding drying off a wet car:
If your car has a good coat of wax and water beads up (like on Patrick's), a quick way to dry off a car is to use a leaf-blower. It flicks the water droplets right off the car.

An extra tip is to wax your windows too, then when you wash the car, just use the blower to blow the water off the glass for a streak free finish.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 04:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now there is something I've never seen or heard of Jeff.
Great idea.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

IMHO it is not a good idea to put anything on the glass that causes water to bead unless it is Rain-X or similar that causes the water beads to fall off under gravity or the air flow when the car is moving.

If the beads stay fixed on the glass, they will adversely affect your vision especially at night as they refract the light coming through the window causing blurring and dazzling from streetlights and oncoming car headlights.

I have always used Rain-X on all my cars for the following reasons:

1. A "get-you-home" measure if your windscreen wipers fail.

2. A means of ensuring good peripheral vision outside the windscreen wiper swept area.

3. Reducing the dazzle from oncoming headlights at night when it is raining.

4. Last but not least, minimising "water spotting" from water beads evaporating and leaving residues behind and minimising "bug stick" residues as the Rain-X makes them easier to remove - in many cases they simply hose off.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 07:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am with David on this, also makes frost removal easy in the UK.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tip re: Rain-X. I've just checked the website for our local auto store (Autozone) and they supply it. I am always a bit dubious about additives etc, so personal recommendation goes a long way with me.

Geoff

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, I'm not sure if this is available in the antipodes, but it is a really easy way to treat your glass.

I have switched over to this entirely from washer fluid to a spray bottle in the shed for cleaning the interior glass. It does wonders for fog formation.

If you ever drive your car through hail like that please feel free to not share any pictures.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 16:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I don't know the science of it, but I first tried the wax on the glass years ago when I ran out of RainX.
The goal is the same, to have rain just 'blow' off the glass.
Having said that, it's not quite as effective as RainX and doesn't last as long, but IMO it's easier to apply, especially if using spray-wax.

There's a lot of online discussion out there about the RainX vs wax (and now some of the new hi-tech polymer sealants).

Doesn't seem to work on the RR's back window though, as there's not much airflow there to redirect the water.

A *super* clean windscreen has the same effect of drawing the water into drops to blow off rather than spreading out into sheets and puddles.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I've always heard of Rainex but I've never used it.

I will certainly be giving it a go.

Ross,
I love your idea of using it inside the glass.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 704
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am old fashioned and just use screen wash.

Richard.

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have never found Rainex to be any better than a raw potato or kerosene rubbed across the screen - an old trick employed by motorists in the days of vacuum operated windscreen wipers .... the faster you drove the slower the wipers; kind of defies having wipers, does it not?
Also, I never use wax or Mr Sheen on the screen because it will attract dust and if one uses the washers then there is instant mud pie. (BTW, my cleaning lady will also never use Mr Sheen; she much prefers beeswax and some elbow grease.)
Now the real trick to keeping a screen clean is to use a claybar to remove all traces of dead grasshoppers, fallout from aircraft and tree sap so the screen is crystal clean and pure. The water will flow off.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

You mention some great old fashioned remedies and ideas here.

My dad used the kerosene in the car wash bucket, and I remember him talking about the potatoes on the windscreens during the war on the Diamond T's he used to drive.

I will definatley give the clay bar a go, as my windscreen has lots of little bits all over it, so thank you for the tip.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2017 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I use a GM AC Delco product called Optikleen.

I bought a litre of it like 10 years ago, and that is the only reason I use it in the Shadow

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2017 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I totally agree with the use of Claybar on the windows, I used it on my show Torana and then finished off with car polish. I didn't have any trouble with visibility in the rain. I did try rain-ex and found it ok too but nothing special.
The kerosine in the carwash bucket mixed with water is an used car dealers trick to add a bit of extra shine and not having to polish but I wouldn't recommend the practice.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Friday, 24 March, 2017 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, tried the Sheen out today after T-cut first as the car has never been polished in the time of my ownership.
Took me most of the afternoon and only finished the boot lid but wow amazing.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, 24 March, 2017 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After reading this I tried the clay bar on the windscreen,It is Brilliant, just like having a brand new windscreen.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Friday, 24 March, 2017 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Great results, and good to hear that we are on top of keeping these cars in as good a cosmetic condition as all of you do for your mechanicals.

Once you get it to the point of using Mr Sheen, that's as hard as it will ever get.
Just a quick spray and polish every couple of weeks is all the upkeep you will need.

The best looking Shadows are on this forum.

Good job guys.

I will give the clay bar a go on my windscreen as well.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having been a professional detailer and having friends who have had show cars, I always keep an eye out for new products and technology.

Currently, I have a synthetic paint sealant (Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection), applied after a good polish. The new generation of sealants are UV stable and bond to the paint to offer a hard layer of protection. Some detail-geeks say they are not as 'warm' as a good coat of wax, but the manufacturers claim over 50 sponge washes before any degradation of the coating surface.
The new sealants are much more user friendly now, just applied like a liquid wax, left for a few hours then buffed off. (The previous gen. of sealants had to be machine buffed into the paint).

Since my car lives in the garage, my main enemy is dust. I use a Californian Car Duster/Meguiars Body Duster ($40 from Autobarn/eBay), which is basically a microfiber mop with paraffin infused strands to pick up the dust. It leaves no swirls and it just takes me 90 seconds to quickly dust off the car, compared to 10 minutes using a 'quick detailer' spray. This means I can quickly dust her off as she's warming up. There's nothing like looking down that long hood at the Spirit of Ecstasy as you head down the road, without a speck of dust to hide the refections.

Now, anyone recommend a good polish for all the chrome?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Wednesday, 29 March, 2017 - 03:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

most of that "chrome" is actually stainless steel........

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Wednesday, 29 March, 2017 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Totally agree Jeff,

A great sight indeed.

Todd Keleske
Experienced User
Username: toddk

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With all this advise, I now know exactly what to gift my wife for our 15th wedding anniversary on the 24th...A LEAF BLOWER !!! To clear the H2O off our vehicles after washing. Gotta love it...Ha Ha Several yrs ago I gave her a Golf Cart. She doesn't play golf.....A method to my madness.
Todd

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 11:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two can play that game. Do not be surprised when you receive new dresses and fashion accessories for your birthday and other appropriate occasions.

Todd Keleske
Experienced User
Username: toddk

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a good one Christian...really good !!

Paul Marshall
Yet to post message
Username: welshbentleyboy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 01:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For a number of years I have used a silicone blade for removing water after rinsing which works very well. For cleaning the glass I use "DoDo Juice".Its lemon scented and Methlated spirit based so it ought be good to drink! It does however clean windows well.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just waxed the Mulsanne with Finish Kare Big White High Temp Wax. The resultant Shine and depth is amazing and using Angel Wax pre wax polish as a preparation, the whole job was very easy.
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Friday, 21 April, 2017 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Mark,

Any pics?

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2017 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Patrick R:
Mr.Sheen effect on the jag!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2017 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is a stunning result Patrick F.

How long did it take you to do?

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2017 - 03:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick.As you always said, on a clean car,spray Mr. Sheen all over then quite easy to polish off. About 20 mins.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2017 - 16:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Awesome mate.

My car spent the whole weekend in the rain, as we took the car away with us for our wedding anniversary.

4 chamois off morning and night, and she is due for a Mr Sheen now we got back home.

When we parked the car for lunch, heavy rain, when we got back in and started driving, it just about completely blew all the water off the car once we hit about 80kph.

Side grime accumulated from driving in the rain simply wiped off.

I do my windscreen as well, and I can report a pretty good result as good as rainex.

All in all a good weekend with about 400 miles driven.

I did notice a small area at the base of the windscreen on the right hand side that shows condensation, thus a tiny leak must be there.

That was after 2 days of rain.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2017 - 17:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kept away from the glass because I thought it might smear - but now you mention it, I'll give it a go next time!
Ta

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Sunday, 21 May, 2017 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick I was a little worried about that myself, but it's just like Rainex.

But, I don't actually spray it directly on the glass, I just use the cloth, that is dampened with Mr Sheen after I've done the paintwork.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent Patrick, thank you. I am looking forward to trying it out next time.

Funny story - My father in law, who is now in a home, owned a 125cc moped for many years that was always gleaming.
Whenever I asked him how he kept it looking so shiny, he always used to say, "I just use the wife's furniture polish".

I never took him seriously............

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Monday, 22 May, 2017 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He was a smart man by the sound of it

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, 29 May, 2017 - 04:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tried the windows Patrick. Excellent results as you rightly said!
Take note everyone.....

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Monday, 29 May, 2017 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have a 100% convert now boys.
Welcome to the club Patrick.

Paul Marshall
New User
Username: welshbentleyboy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My wipers packed up on a Ferarri 456 on a continental trip.My son who was travelling with me discovered that if we travelled at 110mph the rain just flowed over the top.Who needs Rainex

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Patricks Mr Sheen recommendation on the Porsche today.
The car is transformed, will try the car out at 130 mph on the runway in the rain no wipers!

But hang on, if the runway is repaired after the pilot of the remaining Sea Vixen was informed that the landing gear was clean as he was on finals, the resulting belly landing was a success.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L. I wish you would have done a top speed run before you used Mr. Sheen. Then a top speed run after the application of Mr. Sheen. I believe in my heart of hearts that you would see at least an additional 10-15 mph.
Mr. Sheen might have even helped that pilot.
GO MR. SHEEN!!

Patrick Francis
Prolific User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Visions of all these old cars screaming up and down motorways at 120mph trying to dry off!

"That's what I was told to do on the RROC website Officer"

That has to be cartoon material!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Friday, 02 June, 2017 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cannot understand why the plane used the runway for the forced landing instead of the wide grass strip running along side the full length?

Maybe Mr Sheen was used on the canopy as it slipped off to soon!

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, 02 June, 2017 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the plane digs in to the soft soil it could likely flip and otherwise tear up. IMO.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2017 - 11:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L,

Another great result.

Love the speed test idea before & after

An improved drag coefficient for sure!

Love the Sea Vixen pic.
Very ouch looking

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

Gave the wife’s new Mini convertible a good going with Mr Sheen this weekend.
She looks as good as new, super shiny.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Saturday, 17 February, 2018 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Started to give the car the Mr Sheen treatment, must be slowing down as it took me four hours just to do the front wings and bonnet.
Another hour to do the chrome up front!

Leather work looking good.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2018 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L.
The car is looking amazing mate.

A great result.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2018 - 22:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick, still not as shiny in places as yours though.

Will get going again when the weather permits, dull and misty here atm.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Wednesday, 21 February, 2018 - 21:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It’s been to hot to do anything here lately Patrick.

Don’t worry, my car has some blemishes that need addressing big time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: