Aircon pipe lag Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Aircon pipe lag « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, 11 January, 2018 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
I have some spare aircondition lagging tubing from my house aircon.
It seems that pipework on my house aircondition and my commercial fridge compressors are all lagged, but not on the Rolls.
Would it benefit the system if I lagged the return pipe to the compressor? Would it make the aircon more efficient - even a slight improvement would help in hot weather.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 907
Posted on Thursday, 11 January, 2018 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick Mi Amigo,any insulation is good.

Richard.

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 216
Posted on Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard, that's what I thought! Just that it is strange that you never see any attempts to lag automotive air conditioning, so I thought there might be a reason?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - 10:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Condensation would may be a problem if lagged.

Martyn Grattage
Frequent User
Username: martyngrattage

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I am just about to put a new ac compressor on my first second car at the moment..a 1984 Mercedes 280CE - W123

On that the 4 ac pipes have insulation on and I looked to find new ones to replace them.

However the Forums say not to bother as its not necessary.

She has a almost loose ceramic material thats quite tatty now..

Most importantly there is a pipe that goes very close to the inlet manifold for all its length

That has Foam Insulation as standard and appears to soak the condensation moisture rather than insulate from heat..??!!

So its hard and brittle and missing in places but it soaks the water and you can see the parts that don't have insulation is very damp

So I don't know what to suggest.

I am happy to upload a picture if you want to see.

Martyn

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - 18:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Consideration of the physics of the system suggests that lagging is a good idea. A reason for saying that it is not necessary may be that there is so much power available to waste that it makes little difference to the performance.

Otherwise, why would one allow the cold outlet from the evaporator to pick up heat before it reaches the heater/cooler box? Or why would one allow the output from the A/C radiator to pick up heat on the way to the evaporator? Or why would one allow the hot return from the heater/cooler box to pick up even more heat from the engine compartment?

IMHO insulation is A Good Thing.

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just been and had a look at some of the cars, all have no lagging under bonnet even the cold running elec Leaf.

IMO its all to do with condensation.
Be interested in what is carried out on different spec cars in other countries.
Inside the cars is another story.
Pix 1-2 Merc.
Pix 3 Isuzu.
Pix 4 C6
Pix 5 Nissan Leaf.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Sunday, 14 January, 2018 - 01:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

we insulate our cold pipes where possible.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Sunday, 14 January, 2018 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Omar, I would lag insulate the cold pipes here but for the damp and condensation also the salt spray that seems to get into everything.
Only a few days ago I was coming home in the SS1 dry cold conditions and coming towards myself was a salt gritter lorry discharging a shower of salt on the car. Salt under insulation if fitted here with the condensation would corrode the pipes in a short time.

BTW I spray old engine oil under the cars in the winter, seems to work ok.
We have the Damp etc you may have sand probs.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Sunday, 14 January, 2018 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L
That must be so down heartening with the continuing salt issues.

It would make me never want to get the car out during winter at all.

Does the old engine oil smell at all?

I always cringe when I see the under bonnet shots of cars up for sale by Flying Spares. The corrosion is always SO bad on every single engine component.
Of course the other images of every guard/wing/wheel arch literally falling apart are shockers.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Sunday, 14 January, 2018 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just how much salt is a killer for cars was bought home to me after I spent 10 months in Cleveland Ohio.

I bought a Ford Explorer new in 2004 and it spent the following 12 years in Florida, Southern California and Nevada - all salt free states. The Explorer still looked like new in 2015, 11 years on. After just 10 months in Cleveland, which has brutally cold winters where cars swim in a bath of grit and salt, the wheels are quite rusty in parts. The bodywork is still ok but when I came to bleed the brakes last summer, the bleed nipples had rusted in solid - I had to remove each caliper to free them off.

So I never take my Rolls out if I have the slightest suspicion of salt on the roads. I'm currently in Oklahoma where the roads are gritted on occasions, so the Rolls stays in the garage. For me, it's just not worth damaging the car, particularly as winters are quite short here.

I guess it would be ok if I were to prepare for salt by undersealing the car each year, but for me I prefer to just wait a few weeks.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Sunday, 14 January, 2018 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good move Geoff.

I guess it’s a huge necessity in those areas, but leaving your car safe from the salt is good sense.

I was very lucky that my 72 Shadow came to Australia in 75 and underneath is extremely good and still has most of the original proof coating.
Just very lucky indeed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: