Overseas membership Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Overseas membership « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.205.244.93
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2005 - 03:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Being resident in the UK and a member of the RREC, I have just come across the RROC(A) web site. It appears to offer a lively technical side which gratefully is open to the 'public', unlike the RREC.I presume Praeclarum is the club magazine, does it have an active section within for 'post 1965' models - Richard Treacy knows where I'm coming from here. Your section covering membership enquiries presumes that only people within Australia would enquire. What are membership costs for overseas potential members bearing in mind mailing costs of the magazine. Or would I be better simply being a web site user? I note also that the RREC(UK) message board layout is virtually identical, was there some arrangement here or is it a standard format used in the computer world? One final question, Richard Treacy is presumably preparing an article over final drive mount failures for the magazine,would he be prepared to submit it to the RREC magazine also. It would be nice to have a universal sharing of information between clubs - or am I being naive here? after all we are all striving to support these cars and promote safe and economic upkeep of them where ever in the world they are.
You also had a thread concerning non genuine parts for the later cars, the sites that were suggested I could not find. I took the question of finding alternative O.E. sources up with the RREC who simply quashed the idea for fear of alienating Bently Motors. I personally thought it might make them more competitive. Why pay them over 100 UK pounds for an outboard Cibie headlamp that can be bought for 16 pounds in the manufacturers' box instead of a Crewe box. Has the RROC(A) come up with a list of alternately sourced parts at more realistic prices? Any responses to this long winded thread welcome.
Adrian. England

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 398
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2005 - 11:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your kind comments and welcome to our forum - we trust you will gain much useful information - please register on this site to get full benefits and you do not have to be a Club member to do so.

With regard to "Praeclarum" - this is the national bi-monthly club magazine which supplements the individual state newsletters. I would be very surprised if the RREC did not get a copy and presume they would be held at Hunt House library. I cannot get involved in which State Branch you should join due to my vested interest in the NSW Branch and its friendly eclectic forward-thinking enthusiastic approach to all things involving R-R/B motor vehicles !!!!!!!!!!

With regard to your question about the website similarities; this site uses Apache software which is probably the most-widely used software for internet forums so it is likely the RREC is doing the same.

The topic of the various Clubs sharing technical information and resources is a personal interest of mine and several years ago I was a member of a steering committee of like-minded members from the RREC and RROC[USA] to set up an International Technical Archive with the possible use of our facilities as the host; this project came to a screeching halt when the UK and USA Clubs refused to endorse this proposal because non-member owners might benefit from Club information - I live in hope that as the "old brigade" relinquishes control; this proposal will be reconsidered due to input from younger members who see the overall benefit of having this resource and the high probabilty that exposure to the club and its members will encourage non-members to join. The same situation obviously applies regarding "after-market" parts and we have no restrictions on users seeking and/or providing information on after-market parts however availability may be a problem world-wide. As Australia is in the unique position of having imported a wide range of cars from all parts of the world; our "after-market" spare parts availabilty is probably the best in the world so we can find alternatives if they are available and someone has the time and enthusiasm to check.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 326
Posted on Monday, 28 February, 2005 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Adrian,Just a few words on your posting,I am from the uk and have learned many things from this forum and hopefully help folk if possible.
I have many old cars of diferent makes,to belong to all the clubs would not be economic.
However not joining the RREC was the result of myself asking for some advice and being told that i had to join the club first,oh dear! on with computor and hey prestow the RROC[A] had arrived.
After a quick search i had found what i wanted. I am sure this is the way forward as the younger folk that are more computor literate than myself and will be at the helm of car clubs in the future and will bring with them the 21st centenary ways.
Maybe the RREC will take note!

Reguarding spares i use Crewe and i am not afraid to use other sources such as IntrocarWWW.introcar.com They have a good range of spares for most models.
If your stuck do try R Chapman Automotive in melbourne i think.

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.206.30.27
Posted on Tuesday, 01 March, 2005 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David / Patrick,
Thanks for your input, it seems a bit of a dinosaur approach by clubs like the RREC to adopt this approach of 'this is ours and we're not sharing'. The older generation with Ghosts, Phantoms etc ( and I don't mean this in any derogatory way )seem to form the mainstay of the RREC and post 65 car owners appear to be treated as the young upstarts. The RREC have in fact asked the question of "How can we attract younger members", their approach doesn't seem to go very far in addressing that issue. I will certainly register on this site and ask the RREC if they hold copies of Praeclarum also. I'm short of time at this precise moment as I've got to go to work, I know you lot are about to go to bed!

(Message approved by david_gore)