Alternative uses for YAK363 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Alternative uses for YAK363 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2017 - 04:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 94 Range Rover - and anyone who knows these cars knows that they leak oil.
The steering box started to leak so much oil that it would go through a liter per journey (basically the whole system holds just over a liter). I knew that the box had to be dismantled to cure the leak.

Given that the box had to be torn apart - i had nothing to lose so i filled the system with brake fluid, some caster oil and half a liter of transmission fluid.
The leak became more manageable and I then started to lose a spoonful a day. I kept adding more brake fluid and now the leak has totally stopped.
I have been driving the car for 3 months with a mix of YAK363 and transmission fluid and I have no leaks whatsoever.

Bring on the ooohs and the aahs and the tut tuts and the good God sighs......

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2017 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Anyone who argues with something that works, and has clearly fixed an ongoing issue, is wasting their breath.

To quote me the authority of precedents leaves me quite unmoved. All human progress has been made by ignoring precedents. If mankind had continued to be the slave of precedent we should still be living in caves and subsisting on shellfish and wild berries.
~ Viscount Philip Snowden

I'm wondering if the transmission fluid is causing the seals to swell some, causing the leaks to stop.

I've had an EPDM seal soaking in motor oil as an experiment for a couple of years now. Other than swelling some it's still as good as new, will stretch, etc. It hasn't turned to mush, which is what I had expected.

I don't know that the castor oil is of any use in this case, but who knows?

Brian

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, 15 May, 2017 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've read that brake fluid causes the power steering seals to swell which can cure a leak but if left in the system the seals continue to swell which can result in a worse leak later on. It appears that quick remedy for a PAS leak is brake fluid followed by a flush after the leak stops, then fill up with power steering fluid. I'm not speaking from experience as I haven't tried this solution but I may give it a go soon and see if my minor leak stops.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many of the power-steering 'stop leak' products are just that; thicker oil mixed with a little brake fluid, and pours out like syrup.
When the level it low, just top it up with the Stop Leak. The brake fluid causes the seals to swell, then the thicker oil makes it harder to leak out. Lucas make the best one from experience.

I kept topping up my old Ford with it, and it worked a treat, until one cold morning, the fluid mixture got so thick that instead of pumping down the lines, it popped out the pump pulley seal.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Friday, 19 May, 2017 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whoops

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: