Seems like just yesterday Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Seems like just yesterday « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Experienced User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, 04 March, 2017 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many years ago I was completely lost trying to ascertain a fault in the braking system of my Silver Shadow. I ended up taking the whole thing to pieces. I took everything apart, cleaning and renewing just about every part of the system.

This I could never have done if it were not for two kind, helpful people who gave up of their time and knowledge to guide me through this.
It seems they are still doing this today, and we all thank them and others on this forum that continue to help keep the cars that we love on the road.
Thank you David (Gore) and Bob (?) - couldn't have done it without you.
A friend once said to me " sometimes I wish I could swap the wife for my car - just not sure if the wife would fit in the garage"
Joking aside let's drink to the fine ladies that support and help us.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Saturday, 04 March, 2017 - 13:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Thank you for your kind words for Bob UK [now registered as Robert Noel Reddington] and for bringing back memories of the Swammelstein Shadow Forum. The trashing of this forum and its subsequent closing by the Administrator played a significant role in the future growth of this forum as a significant number of our members came across from the Swammelstein Forum and later the UK RRBEW forum which suffered a similar fate.

Unlike other R-R/B forums, we have always been an open forum where all R-R/B owners, custodians and enthusiasts are welcome no matter where they live or whether they belong to a R-R/B Club. This is based on our knowledge that survival in a harsh environment like ours dictates that we have to help each other when ever and where ever necessary and this forms a significant part of our Australian tradition. It is regrettable this does not always happen in other parts of the world IMHO.

Thanks to the vigilance and skills of our Administrator, we have been able to neutralise and defeat similar attempts to trash this Forum. Of course, we must also recognise the cohort of regular contributors other than Robert [Bob] and myself who ensure this forum remains active and relevant to the needs and expectations of the world-wide R-R/B community. All we ask is for our members to contribute their knowledge, advice, experience and opinions when appropriate.

After all, a problem shared usually becomes a problem solved as your experience confirms.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, 05 March, 2017 - 06:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can only join Patrick in his praise for this forum and its many contributors. Maintaining and repairing my car would have been an extremely difficult and demotivating task had I not been able to count on so many of you.

Benoit

Christopher
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.161.255.85
Posted on Saturday, 04 March, 2017 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are so may trolls out there, and some of them do not recognize thems-elves.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

love witty statements............
good one Christopher.......

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry,
I don't get Christopher's post

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 03:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

troll ..... elf
trolls...... elves.....
themselves broken into them and elves.....
thems elves...... very funny indeed!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH

A bit slow down here mate, didn't even see the hyphen

Christopher
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.52.67
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 19:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just another "Gnome", but you'll need a good dictionary for that.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 07:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Christopher,

I have no idea what any of your posts have to do with the original post.

Can you explain it to us?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
An elf is a small creature - as is a gnome. An elf is therefore just another gnome. An elf known by another name.... Gnome.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Also elves and gnomes are mythical creatures sometimes mentioned as guardians of treasure.

There is also a computer open source desktop software project titled "The Gnome Project" which might also have a connection to Christopher's post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_GNOME_Project

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 13:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gnome also means a spy or lurker. I think this was the thrust of Christopher's double meaning.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 13:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just looked it up:

a person regarded as having secret or sinister influence, especially in financial matters.
"the gnomes of Zurich"

Christopher
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.18.233
Posted on Friday, 10 March, 2017 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It also means a pithy saying, such as:-
"Time flies like an arrow,
"Fruit flies like a banana"!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: