Online tool suppliers? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Online tool suppliers? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm trying to buy a metric die ( M12 1.0) and was wondering if anyone knew of a good US online tool supplier.

I'm trying to rescue a MPH speedometer I bought some time ago. The thread where the cable screws in at the back is crossed. I hired a thread restorer set from Autozone but i'm finding the thread file too risky to use. The ironic thing is the set has 3 M12 restoration dies but the pitches are 1.75, 1.50 and 1.25. Sod's law that the 1.00 pitch wasn't included. This is a very fine thread and the local factors (Harbor freight, Sears etc) do not stock them.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Geoff, I have a box full of weirdo taps and dies but I don't have that size. The first place I usually check for weird dies is eBay. Here is one guy selling what you need but it ships from China:
https://goo.gl/Ai9jBf
If you want it faster and want to pay more money for it, MSC has everything:
https://goo.gl/EEzoAH
BTW, as a rule of thumb, round dies are made from High-Speed Steel. Hex dies are made from lower quality carbon steel and are considered re-threading dies. They are suitable only for chasing threads on parts that are already threaded. A hex die will not cut satisfactory threads on an unthreaded shaft.
Almost all taps and dies available in a hardware store are going to be made from cheaper stuff.
I've never seen HSS taps and/or dies in a store like Sears, Lowes, Home Depot or Harbor Freight.
Geoff, your speedo is a good example of something that could use a rethreading die.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've been using MSC for years. They've also got a UK branch which has proved handy since I moved to Ireland, though they don't seem to stock quite as much stuff.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 06:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly

Many thanks for your reply. I'll go with MSC. This is a useful site to add to my list for future purchases. Thanks also for the information on the different types of taps and dies. This is really useful for someone like me who does not come from an engineering background.

Regards

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cheers Jeff for your reply. We posted at the same time.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I don't know if you are familiar with wholsale tool. I don't know how national they are but they have a outlet near me in Stoughton MA USA and have a range of qualities in everything. Clones to Mitutoyo etc.

I didn't check the size die you mention, but I'm sure they would have one. They also have a paper catalog.

Also, in the MSC type industrial supply catagory there is Garinger

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross

I clean forgot about Grainger. I did not know about Wholesale Tool so thanks for the info. I've just checked and they both have warehouses nearby. Too late now as I have already ordered the die online, however great for my future requirements. Many thanks.

Geoff

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2017 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross,
East Bridgewater Ma. Here. Grainger is a good bet.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, 14 March, 2017 - 06:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Just at Bridgewater- Raynam last night! Small World.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: